Mailing List Archive

ULAs [was: ipv6-ops Digest, Vol 159, Issue 1]
<gripe>Please don't send mail with useless "Digest" subject headers.</gripe>

Michael, sorry to be blunt but you seem to have misunderstood ULAs.

My ULA prefix, for example, is fd63:45eb:dc14::/48 but my CE assigns addresses
in the subnet fd63:45eb:dc14::/64. If I ran a routed network at home, the routers
would each manage a different subnet in fd63:45eb:dc14::/48 and ULAs are
routeable within all those subnets, but are filtered at the CE/WAN interface.

It's correct that fc00::/8 is not used; all current ULA usage is in fd00::/8.
But so what? fc00::/8 is reserved for future use.

It is entirely possible for nodes within a SOHO network to be assigned ULAs only
(and therefore have no possibility of external access) or to be assigned both
ULAs and global addresses (for internal and external traffic respectively).
Sadly the makers of printers etc still have to catch up with that. But some
CEs, such as my rather ancient FritzBox, handle this very well.

You could look at
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-ula-usage-considerations-02
although that draft was never approved for RFC status.

Regards
Brian Carpenter