Joe

--
RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE
Cidr report here? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Joe Provo wrote:
> Maybe the cidr report should get distribution here
> for actual discussion of the data?

I think thats a great idea.

> I got several private replies indicating that the spate of nanog-
> banning has indeed had a chilling effect on real dialog.

I'd say thats right on the money, I know quite a few people who feel
exactly the same way - lets go for it!
Cidr report here? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 01:43:46PM -0500, Joe Provo wrote:
> Jeared, Geoff, et al,

Not sure who the Jeared person is, but speaking as
a Jared-type of person, i've permitted that address to post to the
list.

> Maybe the cidr report should get distribution here
> for actual discussion of the data? I got several
> private replies indicating that the spate of nanog-
> banning has indeed had a chilling effect on real
> dialog. I'd like to followup some of Michael's
> further exmaination of the metrics showing imrpovment,
> but don't feel it would be intellectually honest
> to do so in a forum where I know people are interested
> and have value to add yet are self-censoring.
>
> Cc'd to people who publicly commented and may not
> be on inet-ops, bcc'd to those wwho privately
> commented for similar reasons.

sure, i'm fairly straighforward with the lists that
i host, i want them to be of techincal value and not sales stuff.

i could also create a cidr-report-discuss type list, but a forum
like this would probally be better suited, as it may get a broader
audience. (but i could also be wrong).

- jared

--
Jared Mauch | pgp key available via finger from jared@puck.nether.net
clue++; | http://puck.nether.net/~jared/ My statements are only mine.
Cidr report here? [ In reply to ]
as folk are censored by an fool from another non-ops-run list,
having this as one place to discuss the cidr and ris reports
would be good.

the real question is what can effectively be done to get
clueless crap out of the routing tables. the s/n in bgp
approaches that of a mailing list. but it may easier to
apply technology to the bgp universe; e.g., see discussion
on c-nsp of auto-drop of covered prefixes. to get actual
discussion moving, my opinion is appended.

randy

---