Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
Hello,

not Fredy / init7 here, but

> - no command "show interface ve <number>"

we found it under

show ip interface ve <number>

- no wildcard possible, still needs feature req,
- also under the general show interface it would be more natural and
take up old behavior.

> - no commit/rollback at CLI

- very sure, this won't come, the 'irons had at least 'reload at/after'.

> - missing VE counters (did anybody already submit Feature Request?)

I remember during the official presentation in 2017/18, the product
manager said,
that this is technically not possible.

Also,
+ RPKI shall come soon.

Regards
Jörg

Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
Hi

On Tue, 2021-03-09 at 10:57 +0100, Jörg Kost wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Also,
> + RPKI shall come soon.
>
> Regards
> Jörg

They are saying that on RPKI for +1y now...

/nuno

Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
From my last personal understanding and talk last week, they have
already published it in an inside testing release and it is going to see
the light inside customer releases soon (end of month?).

Jörg

Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
Hi Rob

As I’m currently very involved in the SLX implementation from Init7 side, I’ll answer this one.
We still have some more boxes to migrate, so not finished yet.

We have had and still have our own load full of TAC cases.
As you described I have made very similar experiences with the support.
It usually consumes a lot of time and effort to prove that something is really broken and indeed needs to be fixed by a software patch.

Positives I see similar points as you.
Perhaps one great thing to mention is the TPVM where you can tcpdump on traffic and do other stuff.

Negatives:
- Still experienceing MPLS LDP issues and instabilities
(sometimes not all FEC entries get installed and after two or three days without change they get poulated)
- ARP resolving not always working in P2P or P2MP bridge-domains (via MPLS LDP)
- Three to four unexpected reloads so far either due to route-map changes or just random after receiveing certain BGP NLRI Updates.
- MCT RACL Bug still not fixed after almost three months
- Also had issues with 3rd-party transceivers
- Traceroute gets blocked under certain conditions (still under investigation)
- IMHO not enough transparency regarding different software trains and releases and how and if the fixes get ported into feature-releases.

As for the rollback, I think there is some feature they call rollback and checkpoint.
So you can manually define a checkpoint and later revert to it via rollback.
IMHO not completely thought through or finished developing.
Also not sure if it already supports MPLS configuration as well.

We are also keen waiting on the RPKI feature.

Regards,
Lino / Init7

Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
> It was often necessary to literally show GTAC what was behaving badly.
Unfortunately GTAC is not Arista's support;)

It's always necessary to literally show them. (After you document exactly
what's going on in the case, which is a waste of time because they don't
read it) Then, once you show them, you wait for them to admit they are out
of their league so you can get transferred to the smarter engineer. Once
you have him on the line, you have to prove it all over again. This can
repeat even a third time. Then they have to recreate it, then they have to
come out with a fix, then it has to be rolled into the release code. If
they can't recreate it, you're just out of luck.

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 9:31 AM Robert Hass <robhass@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> <tel:1300%20769%20972>
>> >
>> > _james@micron21.com <mailto:james@micron21.com>_
>> >
>> > www.micron21.com/ <http://www.micron21.com/>
>> >

>> > cid:image002.png@01D280A4.01865B60 <http://www.micron21.com/>
>> >
>> > cid:image003.png@01D280A4.01865B60 <https://www.facebook.com/micron21/>
>> >

>> > cid:image004.png@01D280A4.01865B60 <https://twitter.com/micron21>
>> >

>> > Follow us on Twitter <https://twitter.com/micron21> for important
>> > service and system updates.
>> >
>> > This message is intended for the addressee named above. It may contain
>> > privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended
>> > recipient of this message you must not use, copy, distribute or disclose
>> > it to anyone other than the addressee. If you have received this message
>> > in error please return the message to the sender by replying to it and
>> > then delete the message from your computer.

of public
business, is subject to the Wyoming Public Records
Act and may be
disclosed to third parties.
Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
Hello,

there we go,

20.2.3b and
20.3.1 has been released.

Release SLX-OS 20.3.1 provides the following features:
• Support for BGP Resource Public Key Infrastructure Prefix Origin
Validation
• Added support for Unified Routing
• Maintenance Mode support is now available for all devices
• Enhanced Transmission Selection is now supported
• Forced password change on first login is now enforced
• Up to 6 DNS name servers can now be assigned
• Enhanced reporting for VE Statistics for SLX 9540 and SLX 9640
• Option available to drop BPDUs on L2 ports of the switch

Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
Hi J?rg,

Wasn't RPKI ROV available since 18r.2.00_v1? At least, that's what's listed on http://largebgpcommunities.net/implementations/

We aren't running any SLX ourselves so haven't looked too closely, just curious about the discrepancy and whether Extreme didn't implement it in that much earlier code branch after all.

Best regards,
Martijn

________________________________
Release SLX-OS 20.3.1 provides the following features:
? Support for BGP Resource Public Key Infrastructure Prefix Origin
Validation
? Added support for Unified Routing
? Maintenance Mode support is now available for all devices
? Enhanced Transmission Selection is now supported
? Forced password change on first login is now enforced
? Up to 6 DNS name servers can now be assigned
? Enhanced reporting for VE Statistics for SLX 9540 and SLX 9640
? Option available to drop BPDUs on L2 ports of the switch

Regards
J?rg

Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
Nevermind, I'm confusing BGP large communities and RPKI ROV. I shouldn't do mailing lists before I've had my morning coffee.. *shame*

Best regards,
Martijn