Does anybody know if ISSU 6.0.2e -> 6.0.2h will work without problems?
--
Gerald
Re: Brocade / Extreme VDX 6740 and ISSU [ In reply to ]
On 15.07.20 11:47, Gerald K. wrote:
> We have still a VDX Logical Chassis Cluster of six 6740-64 members with
> software version 6.0.2e in production. We do not need any new features
> but want to upgrade to 6.0.2h because of some flash error problems.
>
> Does anybody know if ISSU 6.0.2e -> 6.0.2h will work without problems?

Or at least if ISSU on any VDX ever worked?

--
Gerald
Re: Brocade / Extreme VDX 6740 and ISSU [ In reply to ]
For all upgrades where compact-flash corruption fix is required you cannot
use ISSU.
This is what I heard from GTAC upgrading all our VDXes.

Re: Brocade / Extreme VDX 6740 and ISSU [ In reply to ]
Thx for your hint Robert. We have now isolated two VDX nodes to conduct
ISSU in a small 2-node test bed.

Re: Brocade / Extreme VDX 6740 and ISSU [ In reply to ]
JFYI: The ISSU from 6.0.2e to 6.0.2h has been worked without problems in
our test bed:

- 2x Brocade VDX6740-64 in VCS/Logical-Chassis mode
- 2x Cisco ME3400 Switches with 2x1GE Port-Channel to the VCS
Fabric (1xGE to each VDX member)
- 2x test server behind the Cisco Switches (test server couldn't
run LACP/Port-Channel by itself, hence the Cisco Switches in the
setup)
- ~500-700mbit of constant scp-traffic in both directions between the
test server

During the ISSU on the VDX member Rbridge 6 all Interfaces and
Port-Channels seems to be online all the time and pass traffic. We
couldn't observe any significant packet loss.

After ISSU the updated VDX member re-joins the fabric even it has a
different software version:

ssw6# sh vcs
Rbridge-Id WWN IP VCS Fabric
5 >10:00:12:34:56:78:90:05 192.168.1.51 Online Online
6 10:00:12:34:56:78:90:06* 192.168.1.52 Online Online

ssw6# sh ver brie rb all
rbridge-id 5
Slot Name Primary/Secondary Versions Status
SW/0 NOS 6.0.2e ACTIVE*
6.0.2e
SW/1 NOS 6.0.2e STANDBY
6.0.2e
rbridge-id 6
Slot Name Primary/Secondary Versions Status
SW/0 NOS 6.0.2h STANDBY
6.0.2h
SW/1 NOS 6.0.2h ACTIVE*
6.0.2h

So the conclusion is that ISSU can really work as expected. It takes
time and show a lot of different warnings and interim states before it
is complete. You have to be patient and watch the (Serial-)log.

Gerald

Re: Brocade / Extreme VDX 6740 and ISSU [ In reply to ]

> On 21.07.20 22:50, Robert Hass wrote:
>> For all upgrades where compact-flash corruption fix is required you
>> cannot use ISSU.
>> This is what I heard from GTAC upgrading all our VDXes.

Yes, ISSU have not work in our situation on the switch with the probably
faulty flash inside. We've tried it but at some stage it complain "disk
SCSI errors", cancels the update and revert itself back to the old
software version.

But I was able to manually "netinstall" (*) from USB Software 6.0.2h on
all 4 partitions of the switch without any errors and now the switch is
back in the fabric.

Of course that do not fix any flash corruption. But it prevents a little
bit from getting worse hopefully.

Gerald

(*)
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/Q_A/How-to-perform-netinstall-on-VDX-6740-and-6940-via-USB

Re: Brocade / Extreme VDX 6740 and ISSU [ In reply to ]
According to TAC some fixes (like patch for flash corruption) are kernel
related and it's why they need full restart instead of ISSU.

Re: Brocade / Extreme VDX 6740 and ISSU [ In reply to ]
On 28.07.20 08:01, Robert Hass wrote:
> According to TAC some fixes (like patch for flash corruption) are kernel
> related and it's why they need full restart instead of ISSU.

Ok that is interesting and worth to keep it in mind!

--
Gerald