SLX 9640 experiences
Hi
I'm looking for users of new SLX 9640. We consider that platform as MLXe
replacement in Internet (full DFZ) Edge/Core segments. Any problems /
comments ?

BTW. Did anyone compared SLX 9640 versus Arista 7280 or NCS 5501-SE ? I'm
also happy to hear feedback.

Rob
Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
We are exactly doing an extensive evaluation of the three devices
mentioned. Not there yet, unfortunately.

https://twitter.com/init7/status/1126450891920375809

--
Fredy Kuenzler

Init7 (Switzerland) Ltd.
AS13030
Technoparkstrasse 5
CH-8406 Winterthur
Twitter: @init7 / @kuenzler
http://www.init7.net/

Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
We have 2 of these.  They're based off the VDX platform, not the MLX so
there are some differences in the command syntax.  Nothing major
though.  For us they were not ready for production.  We found 3 bugs
right off the bat that have prevented us from using them.  A new
software version was released last week.  We'll be testing it today.
Hopefully it'll do the trick because from the testing we've done already
they are little workhorses.  And really, for the price they can't be beat.

Aaron

On 6/3/2019 5:50 AM, Robert Hass wrote:
> Hi
> I'm looking for users of new SLX 9640. We consider that platform as
> MLXe replacement in Internet (full DFZ) Edge/Core segments. Any
> problems / comments ?
>
> BTW. Did anyone compared SLX 9640 versus Arista 7280 or NCS 5501-SE ?
> I'm also happy to hear feedback.
>
> Rob

Aaron Wendel
Chief Technical Officer
Wholesale Internet, Inc. (AS 32097)
(816)550-9030
http://www.wholesaleinternet.com
Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
We have a pair of SLX 9640 up a running in our production environment
with a dozen full-table bgp sessions (ipv4 + ipv6).

No problems so far, but the we use them solely as core-elements for BGP and
OSPF, no MPLS and other stuff.

There are still some cosmetic issues, like SNMP running on the default
vrf instead of the management-vrf and some show-commands which don't really work
well.. (e.g. 'show route-map')

Regards

Patrick
I m p r o W a r e A G - Network Services
Zurlindenstrasse 29 Tel +41 61 826 93 00
CH-4133 Pratteln
Schweiz Web http://www.imp.ch

Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
I hope you will share your feedback after extensive testing.

Rob

Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
Can you reveal what bugs you found ? We just received Arista and will start
testing tomorrow. I'm extremely interested in FIB convergence time (full
DFZ) and quality of Receive-ACLs (Control Plane protection against DDoS).

Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
Not on 9640, but on 9540s, but well about the SLX software itself.

I have found issues on monthly base and even one or two cases seem to be
edge situation within the Broadcom SDK itself, and we are almost running
KISS setups only. I have spent hours and days to debug and document
issues as support cases, almost feeling the support fee shall be
reversed - pay me instead of the vendor.

From my (limited) personal point of view, there is a lack of allocated
(or not merged) engineering or testing people or at least a big backlog,
that affects identifying and fixing bugs et al.

Also AI & ML or cloud networking is their hot topic, but if they can't
produce a decent device that is not reacting goofy the next minute after
you changed a ACL, you might want head back to the white board and raise
support for your engineering. Networking is not just about WLAN.

The idea and architecture about the SLX is fine and reasonable but
currently it does not run smoothly and "round" like MLX.

Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
One of the currently not fixed and non root-caused bugs on the SLX that
I have found, is about Receive-ACLs. When you alter the receive ACL,
the ACL can randomly spread to other switched interfaces and therefore
will block pass-through traffic for the world, till you workaround (e.g.
rebind and pray).

That's a heartbreaking bug and I don't know if this is 9540 exclusive.

Also in contrast to the MLX, the BGP daemon likes to talk TCP to the
world by default and you may want to apply an ACL for known IPv6 and
IPv4 peering partners or networks and block all the others. This is also
true for the netconf/ssh on port 830 and don't forget the classic "ntp
disable serve" command, too.

Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
Hi Fredy
Did you finished your testing of SLX 9640 ? Any feedback comparing to
tested Arista or NCS ?

Thank a lot

Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
Hi Robert,

I‘m not too much into the details of the test. While Arista was out quite soon (lack of MPLS) we focused on Cisco NCS-55A2 which fulfilled our needs.

However when it came to pricing the offer of Cisco was +1 on the seventh digit compared to Extreme SLX-9640 (we need to buy ~80 devices) so we started to reconsider the SLX, despite the first tests were not too promising. Maybe there is new software out which fixes the most annoying issues.

The Ciscos simply exceed our budget, but I asked for a better deal which is still pending.

We‘re probably go to buy two or three SLX and bring them into real production and when they fail we sell them 2nd hand. At least we would have a better feeling before spending the money.

Ask me again for an update in about 8 weeks.

--
Fredy Kuenzler
Init7 (Switzerland) Ltd.

http://www.init7.net/

Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
We were not to thrilled with the 9640 when it came out but since the new
software release all the issues we had have been resolved.  We have
several in production and are very happy.

Aaron

Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
So, to leave this to posterity ;),

SLX 18r2a has been comfortable for us since June, we could stay focused
on "business" and not on toying around with the devices anymore. From my
bug tracking ambitions there are still two cases opened, but they have
been root-caused already.

SLX 20 will come around in the beginning of next year and boy I can't
wait to read the release notes.

On the MLX side of life 6.2d works well and NI-17371 / NI-21231 have
been important fixes for us.

Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
Hi Fredy
I'm curious how it's going with SLX after 2-3 months ? :)
Please share your thoughts.

Thanks!

Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
Hi Robert,

Thanks for asking again. 2nd round of tests succeeded, we after a very long evaluation phase decided to buy the SLX 9640 and dumped the Cisco NCS-55A2. Apparently we‘re in good company if one wants to believe from hearsay.

The first batch got delivered this week (see pic), we plan to power up a few in the lab anytime soon.

Can’t say much more yet except they look nice with the violet front bezel ????

Meanwhile we launched a project to automate configuration. At the same time physical deployment in the many pops will take place. The goal is to have payload in Q1 on them and get rid off the MLXe and XMR by Q2 2020.

--
Fredy Künzler

Init7 (Switzerland) Ltd.
Technoparkstrasse 5
CH-8406 Winterthur
https://www.init7.net/

Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
Hi Fredy,

On Fri, 2019-12-06 at 07:55 +0100, Fredy Kuenzler wrote:
> Thanks for asking again. 2nd round of tests succeeded, we after a
> very long evaluation phase decided to buy the SLX 9640 and dumped the
> Cisco NCS-55A2. Apparently we‘re in good company if one wants to
> believe from hearsay.

Quite interested in having more feedbacks regarding your tests and
evaluation pase on that platform. I had feedbacks regarding stability
and bugs on SLX (IXP context, production network), and I was quite
scared about it. And the concerned IXP is finally in the process of
dumping that hardware from their fabric...

> The first batch got delivered this week (see pic), we plan to power
> up a few in the lab anytime soon.
>
> Can’t say much more yet except they look nice with the violet front
> bezel ????

Ahahaha ! That violet colour reminds me quite bad memories :)

> Meanwhile we launched a project to automate configuration. At the
> same time physical deployment in the many pops will take place. The
> goal is to have payload in Q1 on them and get rid off the MLXe and
> XMR by Q2 2020.

Good luck with that ! :-)

--
Clément Cavadore
Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
Still no RPKI support?

Kind regards/Met vriendelijke groet,

Dennis op de Weegh

Bitency
Hoge Ham 24
5104JG Dongen

Kvk nummer: 20144338
BTW nummer: NL213538519B01

W: www.bitency.nl
E: info@bitency.nl
On Fri, 2019-12-06 at 07:55 +0100, Fredy Kuenzler wrote:
> Thanks for asking again. 2nd round of tests succeeded, we after a
> very long evaluation phase decided to buy the SLX 9640 and dumped the
> Cisco NCS-55A2. Apparently we‘re in good company if one wants to
> believe from hearsay.

Quite interested in having more feedbacks regarding your tests and
evaluation pase on that platform. I had feedbacks regarding stability
and bugs on SLX (IXP context, production network), and I was quite
scared about it. And the concerned IXP is finally in the process of
dumping that hardware from their fabric...

> The first batch got delivered this week (see pic), we plan to power
> up a few in the lab anytime soon.
>
> Can’t say much more yet except they look nice with the violet front
> bezel ????

Ahahaha ! That violet colour reminds me quite bad memories :)

> Meanwhile we launched a project to automate configuration. At the
> same time physical deployment in the many pops will take place. The
> goal is to have payload in Q1 on them and get rid off the MLXe and
> XMR by Q2 2020.

Good luck with that ! :-)

--
Clément Cavadore
Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
I have asked this a few weeks ago,
SLX 20 will come around January, but won't include RPKI,
it is still on the wish list.

Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
I case somebody missed it, SLX 20.1.1 has been released into the wild
for
9450, 9640 and the new platforms 9250, 9150.

Release notes
https://documentation.extremenetworks.com/release_notes/slxos/20xx/slx-20.1.1-releasenotes.pdf

We switched our devices to special patch release 18r.2.00bd this week
and are going to keep it here for a while.

In terms of NetIron that 6.2e version is still the way to go, with 6.3c
on the horizon for the end of this month.

Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
Hi Fredy
Hope you are well. How about your deployment of new SLX'es in Init7 network
? Probably in March as in every network your traffic increased a lot :)
Hearing some experiences from You :)

Cheers
Rob

Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
Dear James, dear all,

due to COVID19 we are delayed but I can share some experience:

- we have two 9640SLX with actual payload.

- we have 20+ 9640SLX physically deployed but not yet with payload.
Working on configuration automation, soon (hopefully)

Config CLI is even closer to Cisco than on MLXe/XMR.

Power consumption and efficiency is very good. And, I know it doesn't
matter, but nevertheless, the SLX is actually good looking.

Some issues:

- no RPKI filtering yet

- issues with 3rd party optics (Flexoptix) acceptance on the version 20
tree (18.b is ok)

- "dhcp ztp cancel" is the command you want to execute immediately after
plugging the OOB cable...

So far we don't regret buying SLX9640 yet.

I expect within the next two months to have most of the XMR and MLXe
retired, with the SLXes as primary workhorses within AS13030.

Best regards,

Fredy / Init7

Fredy Künzler

Init7 (Switzerland) Ltd.
Technoparkstrasse 5
CH-8406 Winterthur
https://www.init7.net/
Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
James,

We use 20.1.2d in production. Not too long though.

Regards,

Fredy / Init7

Fredy Künzler

Init7 (Switzerland) Ltd.
Technoparkstrasse 5
CH-8406 Winterthur
https://www.init7.net/
Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
Great thanks for that.. guess we will see how version e goes... one would hope its can only be better than d

That being said trying to find release / bug notes seems a lot harder.... than it used to be for the MLXe platform

Kindest Regards

James Braunegg

1300 769 972 / 0488 997 207
james@micron21.com
www.micron21.com/

Follow us on Twitter for important service and system updates.

Fredy Künzler

Init7 (Switzerland) Ltd.
Technoparkstrasse 5
CH-8406 Winterthur
https://www.init7.net/
Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
Yeah, we already had several attempts to move Extreme to create a simple ZIP archive with alle the necessary documentations and relesae notes for the specific releases.
But this tasks seems kinda very difficult and complicated so until now you still have to search and download them manually in the Extreme Force Portal…
We will have another attempt very soon, I think.

Also the notification portal where you can subscribe to new releases doesn’t work for us with the SLX / SLX-OS.
We still don’t receive an update when a new release is out...

Kind regards,
Lino

Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
myth says one of the next 20.2 could even have rpki

Re: SLX 9640 experiences [ In reply to ]
Hi

Fredy, what are your insights after SLX implementation in Init7 network?
It's probably already more than 1/2 year in production :)

Let me share my experiences:

We have 6 units of SLX9640 delivered and installed during May/June 2020.
All SLXes are our BGP edge routers. For "P" we still have Juniper PTX
platform.

There were problems during implementation due to bugs in code. Let's me do
the list of major problems:
- problem with 3rd-party transceivers -> still have some issues, but
managed with our suppiler to solve it. TAC wasn't really helpful.
- problem with sflow and redundancy -> resolved in 4 months
- problem with VRRP and mLAGs -> resolved in 3 months

It looks some features are broken and not tested from beginning - for
instance our VRRP and sflow
problems tells us - mLAG (MCT) is not tested or used by many customers in
production.

Positives:
- power consumption vs MLXe
- very good combination of amount 100G/10G ports
- at the end issues has been resolved, and Extreme delivered fixed software

Negatives:
- no commit/rollback at CLI
- missing VE counters (did anybody already submit Feature Request?)
- no command "show interface ve <number>"
- missing some other CLI commands
- needs rACL from the beginning as control plane have very strange ports
exposed to 0.0.0.0/0 :)

It was often necessary to literally show GTAC what was behaving badly.
Unfortunately GTAC is not Arista's support;)

Rob