Mailing List Archive

GEN1 linecards + mgr with 10Gx8-M
Dear all,

I have a serie of MLX and XMR routers, with Gen1 modules, for non-DFZ
routing and MPLS stuffs (LDP/VLL). I have a couple of questions:

1- Can I use NI-MLX-10Gx8-M with an XMR management card ?
I have read that it could be possible to mix XMR and MLX cards, with
the result that the whole chassis would be "downgraded" to MLX mode,
but last time I tried, it didn't work: Does it requires a reload ?
Or maybe it's just possible to mix XMR and MLX 10Gx4 linecards, but not
with MLX-10Gx8 ? Anyone has tried this ?

2- I am using a combination of NI-MLX-10Gx8-M and NI-MLX-10Gx4 with 1st
gen NI-MLX-MR on some non-DFZ routers. Is there some kind of limitation
with LACP when mixing ports within those two kind of cards ? I have
several issues where one of the port is blocking, for unknown reasons:

12/3   Up       LACP-BLOCKED 10G   Yes 748e.f85e.1812 xxx#1 [@To CORE:e6/2]
15/4   Up       Forward      10G   Yes 748e.f85e.1812 xxx#2 [@To CORE:e8/2]

I already tried to swap optics on both sides, and ports on remote side
I cannot swap port easily on local side, because of some kind of
limitations (it's VLL terminations, so it's just impossible to have the
same tag-type on a new port, so would have to shutdown the whole lag to
be able to do so). I tried to change the linecard, thinking it was
faulty, with no more luck.

S12 is a NI-MLX-10Gx8-M, and S15 is a NI-MLX-10Gx4,
and we are running 5.6.

Any experience/feedback would be appreciated :-)

Regards

Clément
Re: GEN1 linecards + mgr with 10Gx8-M [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 11:48:49AM +0100, Clement Cavadore <clement@cavadore.net> wrote:

> 1- Can I use NI-MLX-10Gx8-M with an XMR management card ?
> I have read that it could be possible to mix XMR and MLX cards, with
> the result that the whole chassis would be "downgraded" to MLX mode,
> but last time I tried, it didn't work: Does it requires a reload ?
> Or maybe it's just possible to mix XMR and MLX 10Gx4 linecards, but not
> with MLX-10Gx8 ? Anyone has tried this ?

I have never tried this but my understanding that it works this way.
What exactly was the problem? The card would not boot up? What does the
rconsole say in this case?

> 2- I am using a combination of NI-MLX-10Gx8-M and NI-MLX-10Gx4 with 1st
> gen NI-MLX-MR on some non-DFZ routers. Is there some kind of limitation
> with LACP when mixing ports within those two kind of cards ? I have
> several issues where one of the port is blocking, for unknown reasons:
>
> 12/3   Up       LACP-BLOCKED 10G   Yes 748e.f85e.1812 xxx#1 [@To CORE:e6/2]
> 15/4   Up       Forward      10G   Yes 748e.f85e.1812 xxx#2 [@To CORE:e8/2]
>
> I already tried to swap optics on both sides, and ports on remote side
> I cannot swap port easily on local side, because of some kind of
> limitations (it's VLL terminations, so it's just impossible to have the
> same tag-type on a new port, so would have to shutdown the whole lag to
> be able to do so). I tried to change the linecard, thinking it was
> faulty, with no more luck.

What does sh optic report for that port? Is there a signal in both
directions?
LACP blocked mean port is physically up but LACP does not receive
answers from the peer.