Thanks,

joe

Joe McGuckin
ViaNet Communications

joe@via.net
650-207-0372 cell
650-213-1302 office
650-969-2124 fax

Re: Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to? [ In reply to ]
Nope, just very little chatter.

BR.

Re: Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to? [ In reply to ]
I think everyone is phasing out their X-scalability hardware in anticipation of the global routing table growing larger than 786k IPv4 routes. These boxes don't have a long life ahead of them as a DFZ router, unless you only use X2-scalability cards in your chassis.. and with operators essentially being forced to upgrade to a completely different platform (SLX or $other_vendor), Brextreme's advantage of being the incumbent vendor in the network is pretty much completely negated.

Finally, as a BDA, let me tell you that being stabbed in the back when it comes to my certification record has not benefited my opinion of the new owner(s) of the Brocade diaspora. Why they decided to not only pull the plug on the entire Brocade education program, but also delete the historical certification database from CertMetrics, is beyond me. It has become impossible to check the validity of years' worth of Brocade credentials.

Best regards,
Martijn

Re: Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to? [ In reply to ]
We‘re testing the SLX for a while now but figured that quite a bit of the wheel got reinvented, or, to be more precise, the new wheel is only halfway round as of today.

Any suggestions for $other_vendor? I actually liked the hardware of the SLX - 24*10G and 12*100G.

Meanwhile, BGP4 aggregation is our new buddy... #LifeBeyond750k.

--
Fredy Kuenzler
Init7 (Switzerland) Ltd.

http://www.init7.net/

> Am 28.01.2019 um 22:06 schrieb i3D.net - Martijn Schmidt <martijnschmidt@i3d.net>:
>
> I think everyone is phasing out their X-scalability hardware in anticipation of the global routing table growing larger than 786k IPv4 routes. These boxes don't have a long life ahead of them as a DFZ router, unless you only use X2-scalability cards in your chassis.. and with operators essentially being forced to upgrade to a completely different platform (SLX or $other_vendor), Brextreme's advantage of being the incumbent vendor in the network is pretty much completely negated.
>
> Finally, as a BDA, let me tell you that being stabbed in the back when it comes to my certification record has not benefited my opinion of the new owner(s) of the Brocade diaspora. Why they decided to not only pull the plug on the entire Brocade education program, but also delete the historical certification database from CertMetrics, is beyond me. It has become impossible to check the validity of years' worth of Brocade credentials.
>
> Best regards,
> Martijn
>
>> On 28 January 2019 21:35:56 CET, Youssef Bengelloun-Zahr <bengelly@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Nope, just very little chatter.
>>
>> BR.
>>

>>> Le 28 janv. 2019 à 20:32, joe mcguckin <joe@via.net> a écrit :
>>>
>>> Is there a new list for Foundry/Brocade/Extreme?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> joe
>>>

>>> Joe McGuckin
>>> ViaNet Communications
>>>
>>> joe@via.net
>>> 650-207-0372 cell
>>> 650-213-1302 office

Re: Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I guess most of the users simply replaced their Brocade boxes with
Juniper, Cisco or Arista and have no need to use that list here anymore.
;)

kind regards
Rolf

Re: Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to? [ In reply to ]
Yeap... I think its quite a game over for the Foundry-Brocade history, since it has been sold to Broadcom/Extreme...

Re: Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to? [ In reply to ]
We went from Brocade RX/MLX to Juniper MX960s to Arista 7500Rs.

Liked the Brocade no-nonsense attitude, loved JunOS but needed Arista
density (36x100G) after a while. If your requirements are not too
complicated the 7500Rs do a great job.

Rens
YISP

Re: Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to? [ In reply to ]
If I recall correctly you're using a lot of 10G ports in the Init7 FTTO hubs right? Have you considered getting a box with lots of QSFP+/QSFP28 ports and doing some breakout with patchpanels? This can be done with QSFP+ MPO LR4 transceivers too since you probably need singlemode, the folks from FlexOptix can hook you up with those!

We are, by the way, moving to Juniper hardware in the DFZ routing layer ourselves. The MX204 is our new bread and butter.

Best regards,
Martijn

Re: Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to? [ In reply to ]
I'm actively moving customers to Juniper.

Brant I. Stevens, Principal & Consulting Architect
branto@argentiumsolutions.com
http://argentiumsolutions.com <http://www.argentiumsolutions.com>

Re: Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to? [ In reply to ]
That's probably a reason, also the X2 card pricing is not so attractive.
I also wonder when / if they will start a trade-in program for MLX to
SLX, but seems they missed this opportunity with existing clients
already. :(

Additionally the SLX9850/9540 got its 1.5M route update late (March
2018?) and the SLX9640 is kind of being late to the party, too (but
still a cool product!), so that we went for the SLX9540 for peering
locations (and they needed 3 months to ship … ).

For one point I thought that some kind of adapter card, that makes X2
cards work inside the SLX chassis, would protect a future investment and
also running the power-pc based NetIron-OS inside the KVM hypervisor
would be neat.

I also think that marketing or product management of the former Brocade
products are (purposely?) pretty weak and besides they are talking about
inside architecture or visibility (SLX) platform, the hardware products
are hardly visible or known at all. The last one-day sales presentation
I have attended a year after the transition, they didn't even mention
former "Brocade" products and talked about Extreme becoming THE
"software / analytics vendor" for generic network devices…

Well, what about being both? A software vendor and a hardware vendor
(with touch control… )? The Brocade buy-out was such a steal and then
they forgot to bring the customers into a safe harbor. Still to be
mentioned that the whole Broadcom-Brocade-Qualcomm-US-Government
disaster may had its own impact, too.

So what they really need is a momentum shift. Bring the SLX-line out on
the road where it matters and it can work, sponsor the right events,
understand why people currently don't choose the products and work on
this issues, show valid upgrade paths for current customers and develop
a strategy for not loosing more customers to other vendors, advance the
development (5 months for a critical bug?) and hand out the Brocade
strategy behind 2020.

Jörg

Re: Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to? [ In reply to ]
There is also an active community:
https://community.extremenetworks.com/data-center-slx-vdx-mlx-ces-232983

Re: Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to? [ In reply to ]
Would be interested to know your aggregate / filter criteria, anything
fancy that we all can use? Have you already installed some filter for
the tragedy of the IPv6 routing table?

Re: #LifeBeyond750k [was: Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to?] [ In reply to ]
Am 29.01.19 um 10:59 schrieb Jörg Kost:
>> Meanwhile, BGP4 aggregation is our new buddy... #LifeBeyond750k.
>
> Would be interested to know your aggregate / filter criteria,
> anything fancy that we all can use? Have you already installed some
> filter for the tragedy of the IPv6 routing table?
Regarding the aggregation aka #LifeBeyond750k I presented some concept
ideas at SwiNOG 33. See the presentation (May 2018) here.

http://www.swinog.ch/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Fredy_Kuenzler_life_beyond_750k_init7.pdf

We made further tests since and we are also addressing the IPv6
aggregation with priority these days and should be able to come up with
configuration examples shortly.

--
Fredy Kuenzler

Init7 (Switzerland) Ltd.
AS13030
Technoparkstrasse 5
CH-8406 Winterthur
Twitter: @init7 / @kuenzler
http://www.init7.net/
Re: #LifeBeyond750k [was: Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to?] [ In reply to ]
Fredy, this made me remember the arista spotify stunt: https://labs.spotify.com/2016/01/27/sdn-internet-router-part-2/

Nils

Re: #LifeBeyond750k [was: Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to?] [ In reply to ]
Oh well, I am more into blocking certain ASNs and insert a default route
into the network. I took some of the top de-aggregation networks from
the CIDR-reports, that I am not interested in, and generated some
negative list.

Input:
https://github.com/ipcjk/asnbuilder/blob/master/customASN.txt
Output:
https://github.com/ipcjk/asnbuilder/blob/master/saveTheFIB.txt

This saves around 90k IP4 routes and 13k IP6 routes, nothing fancy
there. This can be fine-tuned to bare minimum, enriched with *-flow or
telemetry data and aligned with downstream customers.

So instead of our current positive tracking (which ASN accumulates
what-bytes), we could apply negative tracking (which ASN is not peer, is
not having traffic, ..) and add this to our saveTheFIB as-path. If the
netflow collector sees traffic to a ASN, put the routes back into the
system.

Long-term I am thinking about the SLX9640 as a replacement for our edge
MLXE-4s. Also I often jealously look at the CER-RT-X FIB and cry ;)

Jörg

Re: #LifeBeyond750k [was: Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to?] [ In reply to ]
> Long-term I am thinking about the SLX9640 as a replacement for our edge
> MLXE-4s. Also I often jealously look at the CER-RT-X FIB and cry ;)
>
> Jörg

Then you're reminded of the 20 minutes it takes to download the full table?
Re: #LifeBeyond750k [was: Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to?] [ In reply to ]
Yes. FIB capability is nice, but CPU is crappy... :-)

Re: #LifeBeyond750k [was: Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to?] [ In reply to ]
The MPC8544 (CER/CES) is actually a successful processor, but maybe the
1 GHz version had not been available during R&D, so they went for the
800 MHz. \_(?)_/¯

The MLX uses the MPC7448 with more beats:
https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/power-architecture-processors/integrated-host-processors/risc-microprocessor:MPC7448

SLX goes all in on Intel Broadwell, so you can run the OS very easily
inside a KVM for toying around.

Happy weekend
J.

Re: #LifeBeyond750k [was: Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to?] [ In reply to ]
Regarding CER-RT
Starting NI 5.8 speed of BGP convergence is much better than in earlier
software releases.
They changed priority of BGP process for scheduler.

Re: #LifeBeyond750k [was: Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to?] [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2019-02-16 at 20:52 +0100, Robert Hass wrote:
> Regarding CER-RT
> Starting NI 5.8 speed of BGP convergence is much better than in
> earlier software releases.
> They changed priority of BGP process for scheduler.

Is it the case for NI 6.0 ?
I am running that version on CER-RT boxes, and actually, I'd prefer to
have slower convergence (with a default route for example), rather than
a 100% stuck CPU on BGP/IO processes, because it makes other protocols
(OSPF/BGP sessions & so on) flap because of the lack of available CPU
cycles to handle keepalives.
Re: Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to? [ In reply to ]
Starting several years ago we switched from 1M route cards and chassis
to 2M route cards and chassis, so those sites will be fine for a while
(depending on growth).

That left quite a few XMR 8000s and 4000s out there, which we replaced
with SLX 9540s and 9640s.

We've been not so vocal about it because just like with any brand new
platform we end up being essentially a free outsourced testing service
for our router vendors.

At this point I'm happy with the progress (new software versions with
fixes) enough to post about it.

The 9640s support 4M routes.

Mike.

Re: Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to? [ In reply to ]
I suppose they could keep some customers if they went with some sort of an
attractive trade up program for X2 cards. There are a lot of networks out
there that don't take a full table, though, and if you study the CIDR
report you will find several networks out there announcing /16 nets and
even larger with a more specific for every single one of their /24 nets
with an identical AS PATH. It looks like the more specifics aren't
multi-homed and they are just worried about route hijacking, I suppose.
But if I filter everything longer than the aggregate, I'll never see a
hijacking attempt on one of the more specifics anyway. One can clobber a
lot of unnecessary routes that way but it's still really a game of whack a
mole. The K series line cards and rack switches from Arista have been
pretty stable so far. Our old MLX units have really been workhorses over
the years, though. We had one failure of an 8x10G card in the past 3 years.

Extreme never really impressed me at layer 3 anyway and I always saw them
as best at layer 2 inside the data center. In fact. the place where I
worked way back in the day was an Extreme shop until I needed a rather
simple BGP option (maximum-paths to do multiple paths to a destination) and
they said BGP really wasn't on their road map and that's when I called
Foundry. It was Extreme that actually pushed me to Foundry and eventually
Brocade in the first place. We're in the process of forklifting the last
of the MLX units out this year, though.

Re: Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to? [ In reply to ]
We replaced our Extreme gear with Brocade several years ago. We're
getting ready to swap out some MLXes' with SLXs'.  We've looked at
Arista hard but just can't seem to justify the 3x price premium.

Aaron

Aaron Wendel
Chief Technical Officer
Wholesale Internet, Inc. (AS 32097)
(816)550-9030
http://www.wholesaleinternet.com
Re: Where have all the MLX/XMR users gone to? [ In reply to ]
On 3/12/19 1:19 PM, Aaron wrote:
> We replaced our Extreme gear with Brocade several years ago. We're
> getting ready to swap out some MLXes' with SLXs'.  We've looked at
> Arista hard but just can't seem to justify the 3x price premium.

Unless Extreme has massively dropped the price or Arista has massively
increased their prices, there's no reason that equivalent Arista gear
should be 3x the price of an SLX, and that doesn't match up with my
experience.

I ended up with the Arista 7280SR (48-ports of 10G, 6 ports of
short-range 100G in a 1RU fixed configuration) and it's been working well.

--
Richard