Mailing List Archive

Memory leak on ICX7450
Hello,

I have found a probable memory leak on ICX7450 code version SPR08061a
(and b).

As this is some grey-market gear, I cannot open a case in order to
report it, however I'd like to let it know to people here, so either
then can report it by themselves, either to (unofficially) take in
account this bug: "show conf" does generate a memory leak.

I had it triggered because of our "rancid-like" configuration management
(which was run once an hour), and it made the memory be fulfilled, as
you can see on "leak1" attachment. It finally made one of those switches
reload because of that memory leak. So we tried to isolate which of the
command was involved in that leak, and we found out that it may be "show
conf".

We then made a test on our spare equipment:
=> Serial connection, no configuration:

erase startup-config
* power off (same with reload)
* power on
… boot …
show conf
=> No conf, so warning
write mem
=> We now have some config elements in the flash

show mem
=> Some RAM available, 22% used ; 1625088000 bytes free.
show conf
show conf
show mem
=> Still 22% used, but 1622929408 bytes free.

We then made a skip-page-display, and then, sent 500 times "show conf"
via the serial console. Here is the result:
ICX7450-24 Router#sh mem

Stack unit 1:

Total DRAM: 2147483648 bytes

Dynamic memory: 2095566848 bytes total, 1095876608 bytes free, 47% used

I also have attached the logfile of what I described above.
Hope it may help somewhere. If anybody could report it... :-)

Kind regards,

Clément Cavadore
Re: Memory leak on ICX7450 [ In reply to ]
I used to test 10,000 ?show run? and 20 ?show techs?, along side 10,000 full SNMP ?walks?.

Are you using telnet or ssh?

[...]

Cl?ment Cavadore

<leak1.jpg>
<icx_diediedie.txt>
Re: Memory leak on ICX7450 [ In reply to ]
ssh for the "rancid-like" project, serial console as described on my
email for my testbed.

Kind regards,

Clément

Re: Memory leak on ICX7450 [ In reply to ]
On Mi, Dez 13, 2017 at 09:48:46 +0100, Clement Cavadore <clement@cavadore.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have found a probable memory leak on ICX7450 code version SPR08061a
> (and b).

Did you try to open a case?

ICX is ruckus now: https://support.ruckuswireless.com/cases

Best regards,

Franz Georg
Re: Memory leak on ICX7450 [ In reply to ]
Hello Franz Georg,

On ven., 2017-12-22 at 18:42 +0100, Franz Georg Köhler wrote:
> Did you try to open a case?
>
> ICX is ruckus now: https://support.ruckuswireless.com/cases

Grey market gear, no support on it :)

Clément
Re: Memory leak on ICX7450 [ In reply to ]
On Mi, Dez 13, 2017 at 09:31:56 +0000, Tim Warnock <timoid@timoid.org> wrote:
> I used to test 10,000 “show run” and 20 “show techs”, along side 10,000 full SNMP “walks”.

We were able to verify this on Fastiron 08061b. There is no problem on
08030q.
It occurs with "sh conf", not "sh run", but is pretty easy to replicate
with the right command. Connection type (ssh/console) doesn't matter.
This has been reported to Ruckus and is going to be fixed in 08061c
coming end of March.

Not sure if this is present in 08040 and 08060.

Best regards,

Franz Georg Köhler
Re: Memory leak on ICX7450 [ In reply to ]
On Do, Feb 08, 2018 at 01:34:58 +0100, Franz Georg Köhler <lists@openunix.de> wrote:
> On Mi, Dez 13, 2017 at 09:31:56 +0000, Tim Warnock <timoid@timoid.org> wrote:
> > I used to test 10,000 “show run” and 20 “show techs”, along side 10,000 full SNMP “walks”.

This has meanwhile been fixed (FI-18195) in 08061c that has been
released yesterday.