Mailing List Archive

IPv6 DFZ and TCAM partitionning
Dear Foundry community,

I'm about to revive an old trolly thread, but boy are they fun.

With the growth of IPv6 DFZ over 32K entries, we have been receiving the
following syslog error message on our MLXe gear :

Jun 13 07:51:02:A:CAM IPv6 partition warning: total 32768 (reserved 0),
free 6, slot 2, ppcr 1
Jun 13 07:51:02:A:CAM IPv6 partition warning: total 32768 (reserved 0),
free 6, slot 2, ppcr 0

We receive full BGP feeds from multiple IP transit providers and YES, we DO
filter prefixes over a /48 size.

Our MLXe act as MPLS PEs and run the following hardware on NI58g :

Module
Status Ports Starting MAC
M1 (left ):BR-MLX-MR2-X Management Module
Standby(Ready State)
M2 (right):BR-MLX-MR2-X Management Module
Active
F1: NI-X-HSF Switch Fabric Module
Active
F2: NI-X-HSF Switch Fabric Module
Active
F3: NI-X-HSF Switch Fabric Module
Active
S1: BR-MLX-10Gx4-X 4-port 10GbE Module
CARD_STATE_UP 4 0024.38a4.fb00
S2: BR-MLX-10Gx4-X 4-port 10GbE Module
CARD_STATE_UP 4 0024.38a4.fb30
S3: BR-MLX-1GFx24-X 24-port 1GbE SFP Module
CARD_STATE_UP 24 0024.38a4.fb60
S4: BR-MLX-1GFx24-X 24-port 1GbE SFP Module
CARD_STATE_UP 24 0024.38a4.fb90

For years, we have been using multi-service-4 CAM profil in order to
provide pure IP connectivity and MPLS connectivity (mostly VPLS) to our
clients.

After investigating with BTAC, they told us that our hardware couldn't
handle much more 32k with this profil :

*http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/administration-guide/netiron-05900-adminguide/GUID-F5A27733-F4A2-4367-8F83-E8A4C3DE6F0E.html*
<http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/administration-guide/netiron-05900-adminguide/GUID-F5A27733-F4A2-4367-8F83-E8A4C3DE6F0E.html>

We only use MPLS VRF for management prurposes. So, we are left with either :

- Heavily filtering IPv6 bgp feeds + accepting a defaut route in order to
get 1 MPLS VRF for management purposes,

- Accepting full IPv6 BGP feed by migrating to ipv4-ipv6-2 Profile, and
loose MPLS VRF.

I seem to recall that someone on this list has been pushing Brocade to
create a special profile to accomodate a very little number of MPLS VRFs.
Did that happen ?

Other than that, how do you guys handle this ? Maybe a nifty trick I'm not
aware of ?

Thank you for your wisdom.

Best regards.
Re: IPv6 DFZ and TCAM partitionning [ In reply to ]
No one ? Really ?!?

Y.

Re: IPv6 DFZ and TCAM partitionning [ In reply to ]
No one really. My 2 cents:

Use option #1, have each provider send you an additional default, and do an
ASN filter list with a little help from this:
https://github.com/ipcjk/asnbuilder

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 3:07 PM, Youssef Bengelloun-Zahr <bengelly@gmail.com
> wrote:

> No one ? Really ?!?
>
> Y.
>

> Le 13 juin 2017 à 10:05, Youssef Bengelloun-Zahr <bengelly@gmail.com> a
> écrit :
>
> Dear Foundry community,
>
> I'm about to revive an old trolly thread, but boy are they fun.
>
> With the growth of IPv6 DFZ over 32K entries, we have been receiving the
> following syslog error message on our MLXe gear :
>
> Jun 13 07:51:02:A:CAM IPv6 partition warning: total 32768 (reserved 0),
> free 6, slot 2, ppcr 1
> Jun 13 07:51:02:A:CAM IPv6 partition warning: total 32768 (reserved 0),
> free 6, slot 2, ppcr 0
>
> We receive full BGP feeds from multiple IP transit providers and YES, we
> DO filter prefixes over a /48 size.
>
> Our MLXe act as MPLS PEs and run the following hardware on NI58g :
>
> Module
> Status Ports Starting MAC
> M1 (left ):BR-MLX-MR2-X Management Module
> Standby(Ready State)
> M2 (right):BR-MLX-MR2-X Management Module
> Active
> F1: NI-X-HSF Switch Fabric Module
> Active
> F2: NI-X-HSF Switch Fabric Module
> Active
> F3: NI-X-HSF Switch Fabric Module
> Active
> S1: BR-MLX-10Gx4-X 4-port 10GbE Module
> CARD_STATE_UP 4 0024.38a4.fb00
> S2: BR-MLX-10Gx4-X 4-port 10GbE Module
> CARD_STATE_UP 4 0024.38a4.fb30
> S3: BR-MLX-1GFx24-X 24-port 1GbE SFP Module
> CARD_STATE_UP 24 0024.38a4.fb60
> S4: BR-MLX-1GFx24-X 24-port 1GbE SFP Module
> CARD_STATE_UP 24 0024.38a4.fb90
>
> For years, we have been using multi-service-4 CAM profil in order to
> provide pure IP connectivity and MPLS connectivity (mostly VPLS) to our
> clients.
>
> After investigating with BTAC, they told us that our hardware couldn't
> handle much more 32k with this profil :
>

> *http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/administration-guide/netiron-05900-adminguide/GUID-F5A27733-F4A2-4367-8F83-E8A4C3DE6F0E.html*
> <http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/administration-guide/netiron-05900-adminguide/GUID-F5A27733-F4A2-4367-8F83-E8A4C3DE6F0E.html>
>
> We only use MPLS VRF for management prurposes. So, we are left with either
> :
>
> - Heavily filtering IPv6 bgp feeds + accepting a defaut route in order to
> get 1 MPLS VRF for management purposes,
>
> - Accepting full IPv6 BGP feed by migrating to ipv4-ipv6-2 Profile, and
> loose MPLS VRF.
>
> I seem to recall that someone on this list has been pushing Brocade to
> create a special profile to accomodate a very little number of MPLS VRFs.
> Did that happen ?
>
> Other than that, how do you guys handle this ? Maybe a nifty trick I'm not
> aware of ?
>
> Thank you for your wisdom.
>
> Best regards.

of public business, is subject to the Wyoming Public Records
Act and may be disclosed to third parties.
Re: IPv6 DFZ and TCAM partitionning [ In reply to ]
Dear Daniel,

Is this really the only option ?

Either shrinking the DFZ or upgrade to newer LPs ?

Thank you.

Re: IPv6 DFZ and TCAM partitionning [ In reply to ]
I'd rather change my management method and switch to ipv4-ipv6-2 :-)

Re: IPv6 DFZ and TCAM partitionning [ In reply to ]
Hi Clement :-)

Sur, I thought of that. But knowing sales guys in my company, someone at
some point will have the brilliant idea of selling an L3VPN and then I will
be sc*$€wed.

So, I'm trying to be creative here.... But I think my options are rather
limited.

BR.

Re: IPv6 DFZ and TCAM partitionning [ In reply to ]
Hi Youssef,

Sales peoples are like young kids: You have to raise them and let them
understand what they can or cannot sell :). And if they'd still insist
to sell L3VPN, they'll have to ask the management to buy you some brand
new toys :-)

Clément

Re: IPv6 DFZ and TCAM partitionning [ In reply to ]
Hi Clement,

That is so very true. Still, that doesn't always work.

I also like the idea of threatening your favorite $$$$ vendor to throw away
their gear on the curve, even if we all know that it won't help.

But that's another story, let's remain civilized and polite publically ;-)

Best regards.

Re: IPv6 DFZ and TCAM partitionning [ In reply to ]
Hello,

For those interested, I had our SE open an RFE in order to request a new
CAM profile : PRODRFE104462

If you are intersted, I would highly suggest you push this with your local
SE. We all know what the odds of this happening, but you never know.

Best regards.

Re: IPv6 DFZ and TCAM partitionning [ In reply to ]
Dear All,

Following a meeting with our Brocade reps yesterday, we discussed this
issue.

It seems this has been identified on their end, some clients have been
ranting about it. Apparently, forcing an upgrade to X2 modules knowing that
the MLXe will start fading short term in profit of SLX is not a selling
argument.

I also had the chance to look at a refreshed NetIron product roadmap
(2017-2019) and it seems that :

- There might be some enhancements in NI6.2 (planned 2H17) from the
title I read, no details but the title and the phrasing was encouraging.

- Some other enhancements for 2019.

I have our SE working on this, he is going to try to shake the coconutt
tree internally.

I'll update you when I know more.

Best regards.