Mailing List Archive

VLL & multiple vll-peer question
Hi all,

I have plenty VLLs on my network, in a NSP context, where I have "end
user sites" connected to third party telcos (one vlan per end-user).
The end-users are the 3rd party telcos customers, not mine.

I am trying to understand how could I secure the VLL termination on NSP
side, and be able to have two connections with the 3rd party telco.

For example, I'd like to have the following setup for a VLL:
PE1 --> PE6,PE12 ... where PE1 is the end-user PE, and PE6 & PE12 are
the 3rd party telco interconnection point with my network.
I am using the following setup within my VLLs, on PE1, under MPLS
context:
----
vll TELCO.ENDUSER vllid
vll-peer IP-PE6 IP-PE12
untag e x/y
----

It is working, but... The question is: How could I choose which PE
between 6 & 12 is the one in use in normal situation ?
I have noticed that the lowest IP between both of the PE is in use, but
I have no clue on how to force one to be the main, and another one to be
backup. Changing the order of the PE IPs on the vll-peer line does not
influence anything. Is there any way to do it ?

Clément Cavadore

Re: VLL & multiple vll-peer question [ In reply to ]
Hi Clement,

If I have understood correctly that sounds like a use case for an
RSVP-TE explicit path.

Assuming you're using LDP for your transport LSP's you would do a base
config for RSVP signalling across your MPLS core interfaces and
establish an explicit LSP along the path you want in either direction
possibly to fresh loopback IPs. Then signal the VLL to the fresh
loopbacks.

Mark

On 19 April 2017 at 16:37, Clement Cavadore <clement@cavadore.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have plenty VLLs on my network, in a NSP context, where I have "end
> user sites" connected to third party telcos (one vlan per end-user).
> The end-users are the 3rd party telcos customers, not mine.
>
> I am trying to understand how could I secure the VLL termination on NSP
> side, and be able to have two connections with the 3rd party telco.
>
> For example, I'd like to have the following setup for a VLL:
> PE1 --> PE6,PE12 ... where PE1 is the end-user PE, and PE6 & PE12 are
> the 3rd party telco interconnection point with my network.
> I am using the following setup within my VLLs, on PE1, under MPLS
> context:
> ----
> vll TELCO.ENDUSER vllid
> vll-peer IP-PE6 IP-PE12
> untag e x/y
> ----
>
> It is working, but... The question is: How could I choose which PE
> between 6 & 12 is the one in use in normal situation ?
> I have noticed that the lowest IP between both of the PE is in use, but
> I have no clue on how to force one to be the main, and another one to be
> backup. Changing the order of the PE IPs on the vll-peer line does not
> influence anything. Is there any way to do it ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Clément Cavadore

Mark L. Tees
Re: VLL & multiple vll-peer question [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2017-04-19 at 16:53 +0700, Mark Tees wrote:
> Hi Clement,
>
> If I have understood correctly that sounds like a use case for an
> RSVP-TE explicit path.
>
> Assuming you're using LDP for your transport LSP's you would do a base
> config for RSVP signalling across your MPLS core interfaces and
> establish an explicit LSP along the path you want in either direction
> possibly to fresh loopback IPs. Then signal the VLL to the fresh
> loopbacks.

I'll dig into this. ATM, I still have no explicit LSP configured within
the network, LDP is enabled on top of IGP with no more specific config
(except IGP config, of course :))