Hi
Just readed that Extreme Network bought MLX/VDX and SLX products from
Brocade/Broadcom:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/30/extreme_networks_to_splash_55m_on_brocades_data_centre_biz/

I'm wondering what will be future for these products - especially as we
invested a lot of time and money to deploy them in our network.

I don't have any experiences with Extreme. Any thoughts ?

Rob
Re: Extreme Networks bought MLX/VDX/SLX - what about future ? [ In reply to ]
It is concerning that the edge has gone one way to Arris and the data
centre part to Extreme. What's going to happen to the code which they
have been gradually unifiying over all these years? Is it going to
fracture again? Or, probably unlikely, is that spun off separately and
will sell to both units? Or is there an agreement for one to maintain it
and the other to buy it in? Can't see how that could work. What branding
will be kept? What will happen to those relationships you've built up
with account managers and technical support?

Uncertain times, and I can't see a happy outcome with long-standing
Brocade/Foundry corporate customers who want both edge and core/dist/dc
equipment.

Jethro.

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017, Robert Hass wrote:

> Hi
> Just readed that Extreme Network bought MLX/VDX and SLX products from
> Brocade/Broadcom:
>
> https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/30/extreme_networks_to_splash_55m_on_brocades_data_centre_biz/
>
> I'm wondering what will be future for these products - especially as we
> invested a lot of time and money to deploy them in our network.
>
> I don't have any experiences with Extreme. Any thoughts ?
>
> Rob

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.

*** Please note I will be uncontactable 31st Mar to 18th Apr 2017 ***
Re: Extreme Networks bought MLX/VDX/SLX - what about future ? [ In reply to ]
Hay Guys,
More info should be coming out on how this will all work, but the MLX, VDX, & SLX will be continued to be developed by Extreme because frankly…it’s better that what they currently have. The SLX is basically the replacement for the MLX (based on MLX & VDX code) and Extreme needs that box. Both VDX & MLX have large install bases that generate revenue. Anyone acquiring those product lies wouldn’t kill them off because they need that revenue to pay down any debt used to finance the purchase; it doesn’t make financial sense. All those products are also part of multi-year support contracts with the US Government (our largest customer), so Extreme or Arris couldn’t walk away from the products even if they wanted to.

I know…not the answer you wanted to hear (no one in Brocade wanted to be purchased either), but your account teams should have more info over the next few weeks.

Wilbur

It is concerning that the edge has gone one way to Arris and the data
centre part to Extreme. What's going to happen to the code which they
have been gradually unifiying over all these years? Is it going to
fracture again? Or, probably unlikely, is that spun off separately and
will sell to both units? Or is there an agreement for one to maintain it
and the other to buy it in? Can't see how that could work. What branding
will be kept? What will happen to those relationships you've built up
with account managers and technical support?

Uncertain times, and I can't see a happy outcome with long-standing
Brocade/Foundry corporate customers who want both edge and core/dist/dc
equipment.

Jethro.

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017, Robert Hass wrote:

> Hi
> Just readed that Extreme Network bought MLX/VDX and SLX products from
> Brocade/Broadcom:
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.theregister.co.uk_2017_03_30_extreme-5Fnetworks-5Fto-5Fsplash-5F55m-5Fon-5Fbrocades-5Fdata-5Fcentre-5Fbiz_&d=DwICAg&c=IL_XqQWOjubgfqINi2jTzg&r=l86Fj-WC0GHHSCjQjuUvTzxOj0iW25AHL3VIC5Dog8o&m=LxPHGaJJz2a0asTjkuP6JoRl3HiltgsK1UokSVxBF6Y&s=Quv7QwdpoAUCH2BBkouOwRpgxEEWEHG4bgKZdW12cQI&e=
>
> I'm wondering what will be future for these products - especially as we
> invested a lot of time and money to deploy them in our network.
>
> I don't have any experiences with Extreme. Any thoughts ?
>
> Rob

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Re: Extreme Networks bought MLX/VDX/SLX - what about future ? [ In reply to ]
The way how Broadcom deal with Brocade IP Business was most ungentle as we
can imagine.
My through about VDX - they will not do anything good with that equipment
as it's Brocade ASIC not Broadcom. Extreme have 0% of wisdom regarding
creating ASICs. There will be no new VDX.

SLX ? Broadcom based. They (Extreme) will expand that product line. BUT SLX
is not VDX. It's IP Fabric, more than few vendors have IP Fabric. SLX
doesn't have anything unique. Just another switch.

Rob

Re: Extreme Networks bought MLX/VDX/SLX - what about future ? [ In reply to ]
The VDX developers are going over to Extreme, so software development on that platform will continue; same for MLX.

I get I’m biased here, but the SLX isn’t a commodity box. Yes, we’re using Broadcom ASICs, but we’re also using Cavium & Xeon-D. We’re also using a lot more of those ASICs than our competition; SLX has a much higher line-rate port density. It also has 36G of port buffers for each module (by comparison Arista has 4G).

But what matters about SLX is that its built for analytics. The entire box is a KVM hypervisor and SLX-OS is a VM that runs on the MP & LPs. In addition to SLX-OS, there’s a separate Ubuntu based VM that a customer can use for analytics & troubleshooting. You can launch VNC & Wireshark from this VM and capture traffic on the fly, or launch a Docker container inside it to run PerfSonar.

You can also write your own code to run in this VM to do whatever you want. There’s a 10G analytics path across the backplane that allows you to capture any traffic from a port & mirror it to this VM. You can then have an application on the VM look at this traffic and take an action, like blocking an DOS attack. We’re bringing over a lot of OSS tools into this VM, like Wireshark, ARP Sponge & PerfSonar, to make troubleshooting & network management easier.

Wilbur

On 3/31/17, 3:51 AM, "foundry-nsp on behalf of Jethro R Binks" <foundry-nsp-bounces@puck.nether.net<mailto:foundry-nsp-bounces@puck.nether.net> on behalf of jethro.binks@strath.ac.uk<mailto:jethro.binks@strath.ac.uk>> wrote:

It is concerning that the edge has gone one way to Arris and the data
centre part to Extreme. What's going to happen to the code which they
have been gradually unifiying over all these years? Is it going to
fracture again? Or, probably unlikely, is that spun off separately and
will sell to both units? Or is there an agreement for one to maintain it
and the other to buy it in? Can't see how that could work. What branding
will be kept? What will happen to those relationships you've built up
with account managers and technical support?

Uncertain times, and I can't see a happy outcome with long-standing
Brocade/Foundry corporate customers who want both edge and core/dist/dc
equipment.

Jethro.

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017, Robert Hass wrote:

> Hi
> Just readed that Extreme Network bought MLX/VDX and SLX products from
> Brocade/Broadcom:
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.theregister.co.uk_2017_03_30_extreme-5Fnetworks-5Fto-5Fsplash-5F55m-5Fon-5Fbrocades-5Fdata-5Fcentre-5Fbiz_&d=DwICAg&c=IL_XqQWOjubgfqINi2jTzg&r=l86Fj-WC0GHHSCjQjuUvTzxOj0iW25AHL3VIC5Dog8o&m=LxPHGaJJz2a0asTjkuP6JoRl3HiltgsK1UokSVxBF6Y&s=Quv7QwdpoAUCH2BBkouOwRpgxEEWEHG4bgKZdW12cQI&e=
>
> I'm wondering what will be future for these products - especially as we
> invested a lot of time and money to deploy them in our network.
>
> I don't have any experiences with Extreme. Any thoughts ?
>
> Rob

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Re: Extreme Networks bought MLX/VDX/SLX - what about future ? [ In reply to ]
Wanted to send a quick update. Please regard my info as “unofficial” because Brocade hasn’t made any formal announcements, but the entire PM & Engineering teams for MLX, VDX, SLX, & StackStorm are slated to move over to Extreme. This is good news because it means Extreme will keep investing in these products and their roadmaps; there wouldn’t be a reason to bring all of the teams over (and pay their salaries) if Extreme was planning on sun setting these products early. Hopefully your account teams will have some additional details on what the transition plan is over the next few weeks. One challenge on sharing information is FTC rules about sharing information before the actual sale goes through, but as we get closer to the close date more info should be coming.

On a side note, the Virtual SLX-OS code should be posted to MyBrocade soon; this is a modified version of SLX-OS we’ll be distributing for free to help prototype & test network design with the SLX. The code can be launched from any Linux KVM hypervisor, with on VM acting as the management module and additional VMs acting as the line cards. Version 1.0 will be control-plane only, so you can use it to get a feel for the CLI or test scripting against the supported APIs. Version 2 should launch later this year and will also include data-plane, so can prototype actual routing & switching scenarios virtually.

Wilbur

On 3/31/17, 9:49 AM, "foundry-nsp on behalf of Wilbur Smith" <foundry-nsp-bounces@puck.nether.net on behalf of wsmith@brocade.com> wrote:

Hay Guys,

More info should be coming out on how this will all work, but the MLX, VDX, & SLX will be continued to be developed by Extreme because frankly…it’s better that what they currently have. The SLX is basically the replacement for the MLX (based on MLX & VDX code) and Extreme needs that box. Both VDX & MLX have large install bases that generate revenue. Anyone acquiring those product lies wouldn’t kill them off because they need that revenue to pay down any debt used to finance the purchase; it doesn’t make financial sense. All those products are also part of multi-year support contracts with the US Government (our largest customer), so Extreme or Arris couldn’t walk away from the products even if they wanted to.

I know…not the answer you wanted to hear (no one in Brocade wanted to be purchased either), but your account teams should have more info over the next few weeks.

Wilbur

On 3/31/17, 3:51 AM, "foundry-nsp on behalf of Jethro R Binks" <foundry-nsp-bounces@puck.nether.net on behalf of jethro.binks@strath.ac.uk> wrote:

It is concerning that the edge has gone one way to Arris and the data

centre part to Extreme. What's going to happen to the code which they

have been gradually unifiying over all these years? Is it going to

fracture again? Or, probably unlikely, is that spun off separately and

will sell to both units? Or is there an agreement for one to maintain it

and the other to buy it in? Can't see how that could work. What branding

will be kept? What will happen to those relationships you've built up

with account managers and technical support?

Uncertain times, and I can't see a happy outcome with long-standing

Brocade/Foundry corporate customers who want both edge and core/dist/dc

equipment.

Jethro.

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017, Robert Hass wrote:

> Hi

> Just readed that Extreme Network bought MLX/VDX and SLX products from

> Brocade/Broadcom:

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.theregister.co.uk_2017_03_30_extreme-5Fnetworks-5Fto-5Fsplash-5F55m-5Fon-5Fbrocades-5Fdata-5Fcentre-5Fbiz_&d=DwICAg&c=IL_XqQWOjubgfqINi2jTzg&r=l86Fj-WC0GHHSCjQjuUvTzxOj0iW25AHL3VIC5Dog8o&m=LxPHGaJJz2a0asTjkuP6JoRl3HiltgsK1UokSVxBF6Y&s=Quv7QwdpoAUCH2BBkouOwRpgxEEWEHG4bgKZdW12cQI&e=

> I'm wondering what will be future for these products - especially as we

> invested a lot of time and money to deploy them in our network.

> I don't have any experiences with Extreme. Any thoughts ?

> Rob

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

foundry-nsp@puck.nether.net

Re: Extreme Networks bought MLX/VDX/SLX - what about future ? [ In reply to ]
Yeah, but all your closet switches are going to be Arris.

On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 10:18 PM, Wilbur Smith <wsmith@brocade.com> wrote:

> [...]
>

> > I don't have any experiences with Extreme. Any thoughts ?
>

> > Rob
>

> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> . . .
>
> Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
>
> Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde,
> Glasgow, UK
>

> The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
>
> Scotland, number SC015263.
>

> *** Please note I will be uncontactable 31st Mar to 18th Apr 2017
> ***

> XqQWOjubgfqINi2jTzg&r=l86Fj-WC0GHHSCjQjuUvTzxOj0iW25AHL3VIC5Dog8o&m=
> LxPHGaJJz2a0asTjkuP6JoRl3HiltgsK1UokSVxBF6Y&s=fj8vmFPluque-
> e-31-qGm75D-1QebZRnpy-g7S8m45M&e=

> XqQWOjubgfqINi2jTzg&r=l86Fj-WC0GHHSCjQjuUvTzxOj0iW25AHL3VIC5Dog8o&m=
> nUb7eMpEjWGidIGmluc40rKtiVPUegyLeTqO-wuPf2c&s=U7Uy_
> O6sEBQ8S275jCDkhpdByxbL2V9wBh6OffQc6gk&e=

of public business, is subject to the Wyoming Public Records
Act and may be disclosed to third parties.
Re: Extreme Networks bought MLX/VDX/SLX - what about future ? [ In reply to ]
I reckon Extreme have done well to get these and will hopefully continue to invest and develop, just a pity that the icx has gone a different way.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Extreme Networks bought MLX/VDX/SLX - what about future ? [ In reply to ]
On 10 Apr 2017, at 12:18, Wilbur Smith wrote:

> On a side note, the Virtual SLX-OS code should be posted to MyBrocade
> soon; this is a modified version of SLX-OS we’ll be distributing for
> free to help prototype & test network design with the SLX. The code
> can be launched from any Linux KVM hypervisor, with on VM acting as
> the management module and additional VMs acting as the line cards.
> Version 1.0 will be control-plane only, so you can use it to get a
> feel for the CLI or test scripting against the supported APIs. Version
> 2 should launch later this year and will also include data-plane, so
> can prototype actual routing & switching scenarios virtually.

This++!

I have already studied the API-guide and used some mocking against the
VDX because of its similarity. For https://github.com/ipcjk/ixgen I am
creating SLX-configurations based on the CLI-syntax, despite I am not
owning SLX devices right now.

Being able to execute these things against API and / or run the binary
directly from the management router is a fortune and will introduce
competitive advantage.

Jörg
Re: Extreme Networks bought MLX/VDX/SLX - what about future ? [ In reply to ]
Hi
Thanks for update.

Anyway what will happen to CER/CES products ? BNA ? As Extreme didn't
bought CER/CES and as you wrote PM & Eng team will go to Extreme there will
be no any development for CER/CES routers ?

Rob

Re: Extreme Networks bought MLX/VDX/SLX - what about future ? [ In reply to ]
Robert,

CER/CES is part of the Engineering team that is going to go to Extreme. The CER/CER is part of the NetIron team as the MLXe as well.

V/R
Stan

On Wednesday, April 12, 2017 3:48 PM, Robert Hass <robhass@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

        equipment.

        Jethro.

        On Fri, 31 Mar 2017, Robert Hass wrote:

        > Hi

        > Just readed that Extreme Network bought MLX/VDX and SLX products from

        > Brocade/Broadcom:

        > https://urldefense.proofpoint. com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www. theregister.co.uk_2017_03_30_ extreme-5Fnetworks-5Fto- 5Fsplash-5F55m-5Fon- 5Fbrocades-5Fdata-5Fcentre- 5Fbiz_&d=DwICAg&c=IL_ XqQWOjubgfqINi2jTzg&r=l86Fj- WC0GHHSCjQjuUvTzxOj0iW25AHL3VI C5Dog8o&m= LxPHGaJJz2a0asTjkuP6JoRl3Hiltg sK1UokSVxBF6Y&s= Quv7QwdpoAUCH2BBkouOwRpgxEEWEH G4bgKZdW12cQI&e=

        > I'm wondering what will be future for these products - especially as we

        > invested a lot of time and money to deploy them in our network.

        > I don't have any experiences with Extreme. Any thoughts ?

        .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

Re: Extreme Networks bought MLX/VDX/SLX - what about future ? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

That being said, I believe the CER/CES are end of sales in Europe due to RoHS regulations: customs will not allow them to be imported. If I recall correctly they are still being sold in the rest of the world though.

Best regards,
Martijn

Re: Extreme Networks bought MLX/VDX/SLX - what about future ? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

That' is true. But distributors have worked around this by creating important stocks of units locally before they were hit by RoHS.

I know that because we were able to by CER recently.

Best regards.

Re: Extreme Networks bought MLX/VDX/SLX - what about future ? [ In reply to ]
Hi guys, that is all correct, CES/CER is included as part of the MLX
platform, and has been subject to ROHS restrictions lately. Right now BNA
is more up in the air, it will continue to be maintained for a year but
Brocade is keeping the BNA name long term. I would expect those functions
to migrate to Smart Insight on the Arris side, and either BWC or Extreme's
management platform eventually.

Mike

Re: Extreme Networks bought MLX/VDX/SLX - what about future ? [ In reply to ]
As SLX-OS adopts more routing & carrier features from CES & CER, you’ll see a ToR SLX be positioned as an eventual replacement for the CER. This was planned before the Extreme acquisition, so no changes to that process as of now. CES/CER shares the codebase with MLX, so as long as we’re developing for the MLX you can expect to see those enhancements come over to CES/CER.

Wilbur

From: foundry-nsp <foundry-nsp-bounces@puck.nether.net> on behalf of Mike Allen <mkallen@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 2:52 PM
To: "i3D.net - Martijn Schmidt" <martijnschmidt@i3d.net>
Cc: Stanley Vignier via foundry-nsp <foundry-nsp@puck.nether.net>

On 3/31/17, 9:49 AM, "foundry-nsp on behalf of Wilbur Smith" <foundry-nsp-bounces@puck. nether.net<mailto:foundry-nsp-bounces@puck.nether.net> on behalf of wsmith@brocade.com<mailto:wsmith@brocade.com>> wrote:

> [...]

> I'm wondering what will be future for these products - especially as we

> invested a lot of time and money to deploy them in our network.

> I don't have any experiences with Extreme. Any thoughts ?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

https://urldefense.proofpoint. com/v2/url?u=http-3A__puck. nether.net_mailman_listinfo_ foundry-2Dnsp&d=DwICAg&c=IL_ XqQWOjubgfqINi2jTzg&r=l86Fj- WC0GHHSCjQjuUvTzxOj0iW25AHL3VI C5Dog8o&m= LxPHGaJJz2a0asTjkuP6JoRl3Hiltg sK1UokSVxBF6Y&s=fj8vmFPluque- e-31-qGm75D-1QebZRnpy- g7S8m45M&e=<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__puck.nether.net_mailman_listinfo_foundry-2Dnsp&d=DwICAg&c=IL_XqQWOjubgfqINi2jTzg&r=l86Fj-WC0GHHSCjQjuUvTzxOj0iW25AHL3VIC5Dog8o&m=LxPHGaJJz2a0asTjkuP6JoRl3HiltgsK1UokSVxBF6Y&s=fj8vmFPluque-e-31-qGm75D-1QebZRnpy-g7S8m45M&e=>

Re: Extreme Networks bought MLX/VDX/SLX - what about future ? [ In reply to ]
Good to hear,
I think vSLX-OS should be out by the end of the month. We also have StackStorm support for vSLX-OS planned, so you can build workflows in StackStorm & test without needing hardware.

Wilbur

VDX because of its similarity. For https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_ipcjk_ixgen&d=DwIGaQ&c=IL_XqQWOjubgfqINi2jTzg&r=l86Fj-WC0GHHSCjQjuUvTzxOj0iW25AHL3VIC5Dog8o&m=RMwbzJifmbJtgG7Ry2T-zhmOJoTJVTNaUcbgA8_PCHM&s=re2ASISgux9ePGTwmF8TefJOJ-0m01zxVwdeUPv0h_s&e= I am

Re: Extreme Networks bought MLX/VDX/SLX - what about future ? [ In reply to ]
But there is no successor for CER in SLX portfolio for full-table BGP
routing. In CER-RT I have 1.5M FIB IPv4, in SLX we have 256K. Minimum is 1M
today, but for next years enough is not less than 1.5M or 2M FIB. Anything
gonna to change in FIB size on 1U SLX boxes ? Second - SLX is much more
expensive than CES is - many times we don't need Nx10G.

Rob

Re: Extreme Networks bought MLX/VDX/SLX - what about future ? [ In reply to ]
Hello Wilbur,

Will SLX-OS finally support a true hitless ISSU ? As we all know, that was
a major lack of the NetIron platform.

Best regards.