Mailing List Archive

Renumbering unit in a FCX stack
All,

I think the answer to this should be easy, but I'm unable to figure it
out!

I have a unit that was taken out of an extant FCX stack. It happens to be
unit 2. I now want it to be unit 1.

I've been through pages like
http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/configuration-guide/fastiron-08030b-switchstackingguidehttp://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/configuration-guide/fastiron-08030b-switchstackingguide
and tried lots of variants of stack unconfigure me, stack disable, no
stack enable, but try as I might I cannot get this unit to revert to being
unit 1. The recommendation of running "stack secure-setup" doesn't do
anything useful:

SSH@#stack secure-setup
SSH@#Discovering the stack topology...

Selected Topology:

Active Id Type Mac Address
2 FCX648S 0024.38c0.bf80

No other units were discovered...

!
ver 08.0.10mT7f1
!
stack unit 2
module 1 fcx-48-port-management-module
module 2 fcx-cx4-2-port-16g-module
module 3 fcx-xfp-2-port-10g-module
priority 128
stack-port 2/2/1 2/2/2
stack enable
stack mac 0024.38bf.fb00

Anyone any ideas?

UNIT 2: compiled on Jul 08 2015 at 16:18:42 labeled as FCXS08010m

Jethro.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.
Re: Renumbering unit in a FCX stack [ In reply to ]
Hey Jethro, the stack unconfigure me should work, but maybe try the clean
option:

'Stack unconfigure me' will recover the unit to its startup configuration
before it joined the stack. 'Stack unconfigure clean' will remove unit's
startup configuration. These commands will reload the unit and boot up as
standalone unit.

There is also a default config command, but I am not finding that right
now...that would do it as well. The stacking config is saved separately
from the running and startup config, that is why the unit number is showing
up still.

Mike

Re: Renumbering unit in a FCX stack [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 12 Jan 2017, Mike Allen wrote:

> Hey Jethro, the stack unconfigure me should work, but maybe try the
> clean option:
>
> 'Stack unconfigure me' will recover the unit to its startup
> configuration before it joined the stack. 'Stack unconfigure clean' will
> remove unit's startup configuration. These commands will reload the unit
> and boot up as standalone unit.

n-corp-sw#stack unconfigure clean
This command is not available on standalone or Active Controller
n-corp-sw#sh stack
alone: standalone, D: dynamic config, S: static config
ID Type Role Mac Address Pri State Comment
2 S FCX648S alone 0024.38c0.bf80 128 local None:0

+---+
2/1| 2 |2/2
+---+
Current stack management MAC is 0024.38bf.fb00

Eventually, I found that "erase startup" also deleted the stacking.boot
file as well as the startup config, which I suspect contains the stack
membership data. So did that and reloaded and I was back to being unit 1,
then copied the config back fixing the ports along the way and I'm back in
business!

Many thanks for the hints!

Jethro.

> There is also a default config command, but I am not finding that right
> now...that would do it as well. The stacking config is saved separately
> from the running and startup config, that is why the unit number is
> showing up still.
>
> Mike
>
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 12:20 PM, Jethro R Binks <jethro.binks@strath.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > All,
> >
> > I think the answer to this should be easy, but I'm unable to figure it
> > out!
> >
> > I have a unit that was taken out of an extant FCX stack. It happens to be
> > unit 2. I now want it to be unit 1.
> >
> > I've been through pages like
> > http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/configuration-
> > guide/fastiron-08030b-switchstackingguidehttp://www.
> > brocade.com/content/html/en/configuration-guide/fastiron-
> > 08030b-switchstackingguide
> > and tried lots of variants of stack unconfigure me, stack disable, no
> > stack enable, but try as I might I cannot get this unit to revert to being
> > unit 1. The recommendation of running "stack secure-setup" doesn't do
> > anything useful:
> >
> > SSH@#stack secure-setup
> > SSH@#Discovering the stack topology...
> >

> > Selected Topology:
> >
> > Active Id Type Mac Address
> > 2 FCX648S 0024.38c0.bf80
> >

> > No other units were discovered...
> >
> > !
> > ver 08.0.10mT7f1
> > !
> > stack unit 2
> > module 1 fcx-48-port-management-module
> > module 2 fcx-cx4-2-port-16g-module
> > module 3 fcx-xfp-2-port-10g-module
> > priority 128
> > stack-port 2/2/1 2/2/2
> > stack enable
> > stack mac 0024.38bf.fb00
> >
> > Anyone any ideas?
> >
> > UNIT 2: compiled on Jul 08 2015 at 16:18:42 labeled as FCXS08010m
> >
> > Jethro.

> > Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
> > Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK
> >
> > The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
> > Scotland, number SC015263.