Mailing List Archive

NTP panic mode on NetIron
http://www1.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/NI_05300a_D
IAG/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm#href=Security_diagnostics.11.12.ht
ml&single=true

Is this "panic" something that's a bug and will be fixed, or is it a feature
with a silver lining I'm not aware of?

Frank

Re: NTP panic mode on NetIron [ In reply to ]
There does not seem to be much documentation on what this
feature/conditions means. Totally guessing after some Googling around,
I think I understand panic mode to be a condition caused by the
devices inability to sync with a server via NTP. I think that when the
device enters this state, it increases the frequency with which it
will attempt to sync to an upstream NTP server. But again, a total
guess.

Jake Mertel
Ubiquity Hosting

Web: https://www.ubiquityhosting.com
Phone (direct): 1-480-478-1510
Mail: 5350 East High Street, Suite 300, Phoenix, AZ 85054

Re: NTP panic mode on NetIron [ In reply to ]
Or maybe that's not right at all. Cisco docs relating to this feature
on IOS @ http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/bsm/command/bsm-cr-book/bsm-cr-n1.html
suggest that it's a form of a sanity check that kicks in when the
device's time is more then 1000 seconds off from whatever time it is
getting from the NTP server. Suggests that it would enter this state
when device time = X and NTP server time <||> X(+||-)1000.

Jake Mertel
Ubiquity Hosting

Web: https://www.ubiquityhosting.com
Phone (direct): 1-480-478-1510
Mail: 5350 East High Street, Suite 300, Phoenix, AZ 85054

Re: NTP panic mode on NetIron [ In reply to ]
In our situation the router ended being 21+ minutes off ... apparently stopped synching altogether. Doesn't seem like a great feature.

Re: NTP panic mode on NetIron [ In reply to ]
Thanks. The router was in sync (at one time) and there are five NT servers listed, so as long as three of them agree, you would think that no matter the time gap, it would sync anyways.

Re: NTP panic mode on NetIron [ In reply to ]
If it's anything like the reference NTP client, it'll only do that big
jump at startup. The theory is that after the initial sync your clock
should remain fairly accurate and if it's wildly different this is a
sign that something is terribly wrong (and that adjusting the clock
could make it worse)

From the ntpd service manual:
Normally, ntpd exits if the offset exceeds the sanity limit, which is
1000 s by default. If the sanity limit is set to zero, no sanity
checking is performed and any offset is acceptable. This option
overrides the limit and allows the time to be set to any value without
restriction; however, this can happen only once. After that, ntpd will
exit if the limit is exceeded. This option can be used with the -q option.

The output from the NetIron 'show ntp' commands is pretty much identical
to the linux output, making me think it's just the standard client there.

Re: NTP panic mode on NetIron [ In reply to ]
Thanks for your detailed response. My guess is that when a mgmt. VRF was
set up (and we lost mgmt. access) on our router the NTP client lost track of
time, to the tune of 1000+ seconds, at which point when the mgmt. VRF issue
was resolved, it never auto-restored NTP sync.

Frank

If it's anything like the reference NTP client, it'll only do that big
jump at startup. The theory is that after the initial sync your clock
should remain fairly accurate and if it's wildly different this is a
sign that something is terribly wrong (and that adjusting the clock
could make it worse)

From the ntpd service manual:

Re: NTP panic mode on NetIron [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

This is indeed related to a clock drift which is too high from the one
provided by the NTP server. The correct process to clear this error is
to de-configure all NTP servers on the device, manually adjust the clock
with "clock set" to a point which is fairly accurate - give or take a
few minutes - and then enter your NTP servers back into the config. We
haven't had to remove the timezone / summer-time settings to fix this
issue when we encountered it in the past.

Best regards,
Martijn Schmidt
i3D.net

Re: NTP panic mode on NetIron [ In reply to ]
That was the route we took to resolve it.

Frank