Mailing List Archive

arp problem on brocade mlx
Hello all,

on a brocade mlx-4 running IronWare : Version 5.4.0fT163, following a crash (was doing a no ip route under a ip vrf and the box rebooted itself), I am facing a weird problem.

On a 10G interface i have several customers, each connected in a vlan, with a vlan interface and a /30 used for the connection. All were working ok before the crash. Now on some of them i get the following behaviour: i receive a mac-address all the time, at times there is an arp entry, after some time it is gone, later it works again (sometime after a cpe reboot, sometime it just works).

It sounded to me like a cache or an arp limit problem but:

sh ip cache
Total IP and IPVPN Cache Entry Usage on LPs:
Module Host Network Free Total
1 3745 361450 159093 524288
2 4132 361450 158706 524288
3 4996 361450 157842 524288
4 4884 361450 157954 524288

respectively:
#sh default values | i arp
ip arp age:10 min bootp relay max hops:4 ip ttl:64 hops
ip-arp 8192 65536 8192 8192 8192 No

while my arp usage is of 2k (as seen by show arp)

Any ideas what i could look at or what might cause this? Logs do not mention anything relevant.

Thanks a lot,
Tudor
Re: arp problem on brocade mlx [ In reply to ]
You might check the number of MAC addresses it sees (sh mac)... if
there is a device going insane somewhere, it could exhaust the mac
forwarding DB and cause strange behavior.

sh default values | inc mac
SSH@mlx4#sh default values | inc mac
sys log buffers:50 mac age time:300 sec telnet sessions:5
mac 32768 1048576 32768 32768
32768 Yes
vpls-mac 2048 262144 2048 2048
2048 Yes
SSH@mlx4#

Do you have spanning tree running on this interface?

I'm assuming these interfaces are in the default VRF, but if not it
opens up a whole world of other possibilities.

You could also check the TM log, although you would have to open a
ticket to find out what any of it meant:
sh tm log

Re: arp problem on brocade mlx [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the reply Eldon,

in the end it was a software bug which caused MP and LP not to be in sync. I powered off / on the card and it came back to life.

Happy holidays!
Tudor

wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> on a brocade mlx-4
running IronWare : Version 5.4.0fT163, following a crash
(was doing a no ip route under a ip vrf and the box rebooted
itself), I am facing a weird problem.

> On a 10G interface i
have several customers, each connected in a vlan, with a
vlan interface and a /30 used for the connection. All were
working ok before the crash. Now on some of them i get the
following behaviour: i receive a mac-address all the time,
at times there is an arp entry, after some time it is gone,
later it works again (sometime after a cpe reboot, sometime
it just works).

> It
sounded to me like a cache or an arp limit problem but:

> sh ip cache
> Total IP and IPVPN Cache Entry Usage on
LPs:
>  Module        Host
Network       Free      Total
>       1        3745
   361450     159093
   524288

   2        4132     361450
   158706     524288
>       3        4996
   361450     157842
   524288

   4        4884     361450
   157954     524288

respectively:
> #sh default values | i
arp

Re: arp problem on brocade mlx [ In reply to ]
Hello, Tudor,

Could you please share the DEFECT id please ?

Best regards.