Mailing List Archive

MLX throughput issues
We are having a strange issue on our MLX running code 5.6.00c. We are
encountering some throughput issues that seem to be randomly impacting
specific networks.

We use the MLX to handle both external BGP and internal VLAN routing. Each
FLS648 is used for Layer 2 VLANs only.

From a server connected by 1 Gbps uplink to a Foundry FLS648 switch, which
is then connected to the MLX on a 10 Gbps port, running a speed test to an
external network is getting 20MB/s.

Connecting the same server directly to the MLX is getting 70MB/s.

Connecting the same server to one of my customer's Juniper EX3200 (which BGP
peers with the MLX) also gets 70MB/s.

Testing to another external network, all three scenarios get 110MB/s.

The path to both test network locations goes through the same IP transit
provider.

We are running NI-MLX-MR with 2GB RAM, NI-MLX-10Gx4 connect to the Foundry
FLS648 by XFP-10G-LR, NI-MLX-1Gx20-GC was used for directly connecting the
server. A separate NI-MLX-10Gx4 connects to our upstream BGP providers.
Customer's Juniper EX3200 connects to the same NI-MLX-10Gx4 as the FLS648.
We take default routes plus full tables from three providers by BGP, but
filter out most of the routes.

The fiber and optics on everything look fine. CPU usage is less than 10% on
the MLX and all line cards and CPU usage at 1% on the FLS648. ARP table on
the MLX is about 12K, and BGP table is about 308K routes.

Any assistance would be appreciated. I suspect there is a setting that
we're missing on the MLX that is causing this issue.
Re: MLX throughput issues [ In reply to ]
Based on what you described it seems more to be the case that the FLS648 is
dropping throughput from ~70 Mbps to 20 Mbps (I presume you mean bits, not
bytes when you write MB/s).

How do you know that the remote speed server is not maxed out? Or that your
uplink is not maxed out?

Frank

Re: MLX throughput issues [ In reply to ]
Thanks for your response, Frank.

I do mean megabytes per second (i.e. 20MB/s = 160 Mbps, 70MB/s = 560 Mbps,
110MB/s = 880 Mbps).

I am thinking that the FLS648 switches are not likely responsible since I
was able to get 110MB/s to another external network with all three scenarios
(server to FLS648 to MLX, server to MLX direct, server to EX3200 to MLX).
The FLS648 is layer 2 only, so I don't see how it would be interfering with
the throughput to one network and not to another. The problem is also
occurring on servers attached to multiple FLS648 that are each directly
connected to the MLX, so it is across different 10G cards, optics, slots on
the MLX chassis, etc.

The remote server doesn't seem to be having any issues since I was able to
get 70MB/s to it from connecting directly to the MLX and from connecting
through the EX3200. It is only from behind the FLS648 that I run into
issues.

As I stated in the first message, the Juniper EX3200 is a downstream BGP
customer that is single homed to our network, so it is on a different ASN
and the communication between my network and his network is layer 3.

Any additional insight would be appreciated.

Re: MLX throughput issues [ In reply to ]
* nethub@gmail.com (nethub@gmail.com) [Fri 13 Feb 2015, 01:45 CET]:
>As I stated in the first message, the Juniper EX3200 is a downstream
>BGP customer that is single homed to our network, so it is on a
>different ASN and the communication between my network and his
>network is layer 3.

Are you running that MLX with a full BGP table? 20 MB/sec sounds like
you're forwarding packets over its CPU, perhaps because it ran out of
CAM space.

-- Niels.

Re: MLX throughput issues [ In reply to ]
We are only accepting about 300k IPv4 routes currently (we filter to reduce
the table size). We are on the multi-service-2 CAM partition profile and we
have the system-max values for ip-route and ip-cache set to 445K.

Also, we upgraded to 5.6f today to see if that would help but it did not
change anything.

CPU usage is very low across the board (under 10% use on everything), so if
it is routing in software, it isn't causing a jump in CPU load.

Re: MLX throughput issues [ In reply to ]
Wondering if you might have some imbalance in a LAG somewhere. Where it is
hashing too much traffic to one link of a lag. By default it uses the mac
address of the next layer 2 hop and traffic going to a gateway will all
hash to the same link. Are there any LAGs involved? Is there a major
imbalance of traffic on a LAG in the traffic path?

Re: MLX throughput issues [ In reply to ]
The FLS switches do something weird with packets. I've noticed they
somehow interfere with changing the MSS window size dynamically,
resulting in destinations further away having very poor speed results
compared to destinations close by.

We got rid of those a while ago.

On 12/02/15 17:37, nethub@gmail.com wrote:

> We are having a strange issue on our MLX running code 5.6.00c. We are
> encountering some throughput issues that seem to be randomly impacting
> specific networks.
>
> We use the MLX to handle both external BGP and internal VLAN routing.
> Each FLS648 is used for Layer 2 VLANs only.
>
> From a server connected by 1 Gbps uplink to a Foundry FLS648 switch,
> which is then connected to the MLX on a 10 Gbps port, running a speed
> test to an external network is getting 20MB/s.
>
> Connecting the same server directly to the MLX is getting 70MB/s.
>
> Connecting the same server to one of my customer's Juniper EX3200
> (which BGP peers with the MLX) also gets 70MB/s.
>
> Testing to another external network, all three scenarios get 110MB/s.
>
> The path to both test network locations goes through the same IP
> transit provider.
>
> We are running NI-MLX-MR with 2GB RAM, NI-MLX-10Gx4 connect to the
> Foundry FLS648 by XFP-10G-LR, NI-MLX-1Gx20-GC was used for directly
> connecting the server. A separate NI-MLX-10Gx4 connects to our
> upstream BGP providers. Customer’s Juniper EX3200 connects to the
> same NI-MLX-10Gx4 as the FLS648. We take default routes plus full
> tables from three providers by BGP, but filter out most of the routes.
>
> The fiber and optics on everything look fine. CPU usage is less than
> 10% on the MLX and all line cards and CPU usage at 1% on the FLS648.
> ARP table on the MLX is about 12K, and BGP table is about 308K routes.
>
> Any assistance would be appreciated. I suspect there is a setting
> that we’re missing on the MLX that is causing this issue.

Jeroen Wunnink
IP NOC Manager - Hibernia Networks
Main numbers (Ext: 1011): USA +1.908.516.4200 | UK +44.1704.322.300
Netherlands +31.208.200.622 | 24/7 IP NOC Phone: +31.20.82.00.623
jeroen.wunnink@hibernianetworks.com
www.hibernianetworks.com
Re: MLX throughput issues [ In reply to ]
Hey,

this sounds like a good tip. We are seeing a issue very similar to the one
reported in this thread.
Speed to local servers is fine, but to remote servers the speed decreases
depending on the latency to them (while having no overloaded links or
something like that).
In our case the core devices are also MLX(e) boxes, but the servers are not
directly terminating in the MLX, the path to them includes a Cisco with
sup720 for routing and HP switching stuff on the L2 path to the servers.
Jeroen, could you share a bit more insight on the issue you had with
dynamic MSS adjustments? Have you been able to find a way to change the
behaviour of the switches? Have you seen such a issue also with your other
Brocade equipment you have at Hibernia?

Thanks,
Chris

Re: MLX throughput issues [ In reply to ]
We are not using LAG anywhere in our network.

Re: MLX throughput issues [ In reply to ]
We have three switch fabrics installed, all are under 1% utilized.