Mailing List Archive

MLX with NI-MLX-10Gx4 - Number of routes and cam-partition profile
Hi,

right now i'm trying ti figure out the maximum number of routes (both
IPv4 and IPv6) a MLX equipped with NI-MLX-10Gx4 cards can carry.

The current config looks like this:
Module Status
Ports Starting MAC
M1 (left ):NI-MLX-MR Management Module Active
M2 (right):NI-MLX-MR Management Module Standby(Ready State)
F1: NI-X-SF Switch Fabric Module Active
F2: NI-X-SF Switch Fabric Module Active
F3:
S1: NI-MLX-10Gx4 4-port 10GbE Module
CARD_STATE_UP 4 0012.f293.a400
S2: NI-MLX-10Gx4 4-port 10GbE Module
CARD_STATE_UP 4 0012.f293.a430

Right now it seems like the NI-MLX-MR lead to "MLX mode" for the
device. According to the Brocade documentation there is no really good
cam-partition profile that would enable to use full BGP feeds for both
IPv6 and IPv4. Are i missing something here? I think i've heard that
the NI-MLX-10Gx4 module could do up to 768k routes, but i may
remember that wrong.

I'd appreciate any hints or suggestions from colleagues using setups like this.

Thanks,
Chris
Re: MLX with NI-MLX-10Gx4 - Number of routes and cam-partition profile [ In reply to ]
Hi Chris,

The NI-MLX series now known by the suffix "-M" have a maximum of 512k
IPv4 routes if you set them to use the "cam-partition profile ipv4", but
then you do not have any IPv6 or VRF support at all. Besides the
NI-MLX-MR management modules, your 10GbE modules in slot 1 and 2 are MLX
series too. So you will never fit a full BGP feed into this device.

You are probably confused with NI-XMR series modules now known by the
suffix "-X", if you use the "cam-partition profile ipv4-ipv6-2" there
would be support for 768k IPv4 routes whilst retaining 64k IPv6 routes -
though you still lose VRF support. These blades would be using the
NI-XMR-10Gx4 SKU if they were built in the Foundry era, and the
BR-MLX-10Gx4-X SKU if they are from the Brocade era.

Best regards,
Martijn Schmidt