Mailing List Archive

nRe: Multiple subnets on same VLAN
In the past, we've simply done this (usually in the context off adding
another IP subnet into a VLAN, but probably also when merging two VLANs
with subnets too):

vlan 24
ta e 1/1
router-interface ve 24

interface ve 24
ip address 10.0.1.100/24
ip address 10.0.2.100/24

Alternatively, in some cases I also have this sort of thing (ancient
BigIron config):

vlan 2
ta e 1/1 to 1/3
ip-subnet 10.0.1.0 255.255.255.0 name S1
static e 1/1 to 1/2
router-int ve 2
ip-subnet 10.0.2.0 255.255.255.0 name S2
static e 1/1 to 1/3
router-int ve 3

int ve 2
ip address 10.0.1.100 255.255.255.0

int ve 3
ip address 10.0.2.100 255.255.255.0

I can't really remember much about it now :)

I'm not familiar with the trick just below.

Jethro.

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014, Wilbur Smith wrote:

> Jose,
>
> This is pretty easy on the MLX. This is also referred to as “Super
> Netting”.
>
> The trick is to create two separate VE interfaces, one for each subnet’s
> default gateway, then assign both VE interfaces to the same VLAN. You
> will need to create the VE first before adding it to the MLX’s VLAN.
>
> Config would look something like:
>
> Interface ve 100
> Ip address 10.0.1.100
>
> Interface ve 101
> Ip address 10.0.1.101
>
> Vlan 100
> Router-interface
> Ve 100
> Ve 101
>
> Apologies for not being able to confirm the exact syntax; don’t have access to a router right now.
>
> Wilbur
>
> From: Charles Monson <monson@wins.net<mailto:monson@wins.net>>
> Date: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 at 6:15 AM
> To: "foundry-nsp@puck.nether.net<mailto:foundry-nsp@puck.nether.net>" <foundry-nsp@puck.nether.net<mailto:foundry-nsp@puck.nether.net>>
> Subject: Re: [f-nsp] Multiple subnets on same VLAN
>
> Do you have “no route-only” on the physical interface(s)? I’ve had trouble with routing between multiple subnets on a router-interface once and things started behaving normally after changing that.
>
> - Charles

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.