Mailing List Archive

MLXe combination of -X and -X2 linecards
Hi,

Does anyone already run the new -X2 linecards in an MLXe chassis? Can they
be combined with -X linecards in the same chassis (of course with the lower
limit of routes)? Unfortunately I couldn't reach our SE and the
documentation doesn't really know about -X2 linecards yet.

We are running BR-MLX-MR2-X and NI-X-HSF, so all other requirements should
be met?!

Thanks for any hints,
André

--
André Grüneberg
System Architect Web Operations

The unbelievable Machine Company GmbH
Grolmanstr. 40
10623 Berlin
Tel.: +49 - 30 - 8892656 - 43
Fax.: +49 - 30 - 8892656 - 11
Mobil: +49 - 172 - 6861254

http://www.unbelievable-machine.com

Geschäftsführer: Ravin Mehta, Benno Wiedfeld; Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Berlin, Deutschland; Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB
115071B; Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE261090159
Re: MLXe combination of -X and -X2 linecards [ In reply to ]
Hello,

We are not in that case but I was asking myself the same question as we are
thinkig about X2 LCs.

Y.

andre.grueneberg@unbelievable-machine.com>:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone already run the new -X2 linecards in an MLXe chassis? Can they
> be combined with -X linecards in the same chassis (of course with the lower
> limit of routes)? Unfortunately I couldn't reach our SE and the
> documentation doesn't really know about -X2 linecards yet.
>
> We are running BR-MLX-MR2-X and NI-X-HSF, so all other requirements should
> be met?!
>
> Thanks for any hints,
> André
>
> --
> André Grüneberg
> System Architect Web Operations
>
> The unbelievable Machine Company GmbH
> Grolmanstr. 40
> 10623 Berlin
> Tel.: +49 - 30 - 8892656 - 43
> Fax.: +49 - 30 - 8892656 - 11
> Mobil: +49 - 172 - 6861254
>
> http://www.unbelievable-machine.com
>
> Geschäftsführer: Ravin Mehta, Benno Wiedfeld; Sitz der Gesellschaft:
> Berlin, Deutschland; Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB
> 115071B; Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE261090159

Youssef BENGELLOUN-ZAHR
Re: MLXe combination of -X and -X2 linecards [ In reply to ]
Hi guys, yes, they will co-exist (but will run at the lower scalability
numbers as mentioned). The new 100G CFP2 and 20x10G -X modules are just
shipping now, the GA code to run them will be out in October. The -X2
modules are not out yet, they should ship by the end of the year.

Mike

Re: MLXe combination of -X and -X2 linecards [ In reply to ]
One thing to note. Although they will run with -X cards, it's my understanding they will not work with original vanilla cards. Those cards aren't supported under the 5.7 code required by the -X2 cards.

There may also be instances where gen1.5 cards may not run at line rate with the chassis running in turbo mode and the increased credit size due to credit starvation on the back plane. YMMV

Regards
Mike

*----------- H U R R I C A N E - E L E C T R I C ---------->>
*---------------------------------------------------->>

> On Sep 12, 2014, at 7:45 AM, Mike Allen <mkallen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi guys, yes, they will co-exist (but will run at the lower scalability numbers as mentioned). The new 100G CFP2 and 20x10G -X modules are just shipping now, the GA code to run them will be out in October. The -X2 modules are not out yet, they should ship by the end of the year.
>
> Mike
>
>> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 2:23 AM, Youssef Bengelloun-Zahr <youssef@720.fr> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We are not in that case but I was asking myself the same question as we are thinkig about X2 LCs.
>>
>> Y.

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Does anyone already run the new -X2 linecards in an MLXe chassis? Can they be combined with -X linecards in the same chassis (of course with the lower limit of routes)? Unfortunately I couldn't reach our SE and the documentation doesn't really know about -X2 linecards yet.
>>>
>>> We are running BR-MLX-MR2-X and NI-X-HSF, so all other requirements should be met?!
>>>
>>> Thanks for any hints,
>>> André
>>>
>>> --
>>> André Grüneberg
>>> System Architect Web Operations
>>>
>>> The unbelievable Machine Company GmbH
>>> Grolmanstr. 40
>>> 10623 Berlin
>>> Tel.: +49 - 30 - 8892656 - 43

Re: MLXe combination of -X and -X2 linecards [ In reply to ]
Also, v5.7 will only support the X2 hardware; not the extended FIB limits
the cards are capable of. So, even if you have all X2 line cards, you won't
be able to hold more routes in your FIB than the current X cards can. The
new FIB capacity will be available in v5.8.

We'll need to start a new "v5.7 feedback" thread come October...

-- Eric Cables

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 8:30 AM, Mike Tindle <mtindle@he.net> wrote:

> One thing to note. Although they will run with -X cards, it's my
> understanding they will not work with original vanilla cards. Those cards
> aren't supported under the 5.7 code required by the -X2 cards.
>
> There may also be instances where gen1.5 cards may not run at line rate
> with the chassis running in turbo mode and the increased credit size due to
> credit starvation on the back plane. YMMV
>
> Regards
> Mike
>
> *----------- H U R R I C A N E - E L E C T R I C ---------->>
> | Mike Tindle | Senior Network Engineer | mtindle@he.net
> | ASN 6939 | http://www.he.net | 510-580-4126
> *---------------------------------------------------->>
>
> On Sep 12, 2014, at 7:45 AM, Mike Allen <mkallen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi guys, yes, they will co-exist (but will run at the lower scalability
> numbers as mentioned). The new 100G CFP2 and 20x10G -X modules are just
> shipping now, the GA code to run them will be out in October. The -X2
> modules are not out yet, they should ship by the end of the year.
>
> Mike
>
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 2:23 AM, Youssef Bengelloun-Zahr <youssef@720.fr>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> We are not in that case but I was asking myself the same question as we
>> are thinkig about X2 LCs.
>>
>> Y.

>> andre.grueneberg@unbelievable-machine.com>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Does anyone already run the new -X2 linecards in an MLXe chassis? Can
>>> they be combined with -X linecards in the same chassis (of course with the
>>> lower limit of routes)? Unfortunately I couldn't reach our SE and the
>>> documentation doesn't really know about -X2 linecards yet.
>>>
>>> We are running BR-MLX-MR2-X and NI-X-HSF, so all other requirements
>>> should be met?!
>>>
>>> Thanks for any hints,
>>> André
>>>
>>> --
>>> André Grüneberg
>>> System Architect Web Operations
>>>
>>> The unbelievable Machine Company GmbH
>>> Grolmanstr. 40
>>> 10623 Berlin
>>> Tel.: +49 - 30 - 8892656 - 43

Re: MLXe combination of -X and -X2 linecards [ In reply to ]
Yeah, there are a good number of caveats to watch out for with all these different card types now.

> There may also be instances where gen1.5 cards may not run at line rate with the chassis running in turbo mode

Correcting myself here. The gen 1.5 (and gen 1) cards will not run in turbo, but they will run with the increased credit size which can limit the throughput on them as they lack the improvements in the credit handling found in the gen 2 cards.

Regards,
Mike

Re: MLXe combination of -X and -X2 linecards [ In reply to ]
Envoyé de mon iPhone

> Le 12 sept. 2014 à 17:55, Eric Cables <ecables@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> Also, v5.7 will only support the X2 hardware; not the extended FIB limits the cards are capable of. So, even if you have all X2 line cards, you won't be able to hold more routes in your FIB than the current X cards can. The new FIB capacity will be available in v5.8.
>
> We'll need to start a new "v5.7 feedback" thread come October...

+1 !

Y.