How do you handle upgrades on your XMRs and MLXs?
Single-command upgrade is ok, but I'd like to run it from compact flash.
How do I copy it to slot1 easily?
Single-command upgrade needs to have the directory structure intact and
I can't seem to get scp tp work.

TFTP is no fun when box is 10ms away.

Any tips?

/Tias
Re: Software management NetIron/Ironware [ In reply to ]
Hello Tias,

Even if it's slightly out of subject, regarding TFTP and latency issues, I
have submitted an RFE for that :

PRODRFE100893 : Support of connection oriented protocol to achieve unified
upgrade

Other than that, I use single-command upgrade via tftp but my server is
close.

Best regards.

> Hi
>
> How do you handle upgrades on your XMRs and MLXs?
> Single-command upgrade is ok, but I'd like to run it from compact flash.
> How do I copy it to slot1 easily?
> Single-command upgrade needs to have the directory structure intact and
> I can't seem to get scp tp work.
>
> TFTP is no fun when box is 10ms away.
>
> Any tips?
>
> /Tias

Youssef BENGELLOUN-ZAHR
Re: Software management NetIron/Ironware [ In reply to ]
On Sep 5, 2014, at 6:58 AM, Mathias Wolkert <tias@netnod.se> wrote:

> Hi
>
> How do you handle upgrades on your XMRs and MLXs?
> Single-command upgrade is ok, but I'd like to run it from compact flash.
> How do I copy it to slot1 easily?
> Single-command upgrade needs to have the directory structure intact and
> I can't seem to get scp tp work.
>
> TFTP is no fun when box is 10ms away.
>
> Any tips?

During my last upgrade round to 5.6.0c, my chassis' that were multiple 10s of ms away were failing during single-command upgrade. Timing out on the biggest file. BTAC was involved but couldn't solve it. Out of impatience I ended up shipping out a flash card to upgrade each locally and that went smoothly.

I was able to simply copy the upgraded firmware onto the flashcard while of course preserving the directory structure. I think the flash cards are MS-DOS formatted, but was able to copy them over on my Mac with a cheap usb to flash multi-adapter dongle.