If they lose Ethernet link, they will behave correctly; if their traffic
is blackholed, they will not.

I've seen this sort of "link state propagation" with Ethernet-over-SONET
many times before, but I've never had to build it over Ethernet.

Is it possible to do this with MLXe/CER routers with an MPLS psuedowire,
for example?

--
Richard
Re: Link State Propagation over Ethernet [ In reply to ]
A poster off-list suggested BFD.

Can you clarify this a bit? I think you're looking at the problem
backwards.

+------+ /---------\ +-----+
| MLXe | -- Network -- | CER |
+------+ \---------/ +-----+
| |
+------+ +-----+
| A | | B |
+------+ +-----+

When the "Network" fails, devices A & B (both of them) need to see their
Ethernet links go down.

If A & B supported BFD then I wouldn't need this link state propagation
behavior at all. They're black boxes that, per the vendor, are meant to
be directly connected.

So what I need is for the MLXe and the CER to communicate in some way
(MPLS / Ethernet OAM) and when that communication is interrupted, drop
the Ethernet link on the ports facing the devices.

My next best solution is that the vendor knows of some third-party
devices that can do exactly this behavior. I'll go that route if I can't
do it with the gear we already have.

--
Richard
Re: Link State Propagation over Ethernet [ In reply to ]
There might be something that can be done with IEEE 802.1ag CFM, which you
night be able to implement using a Ethernet demarcation device from someone
like Adva, Metrodata etc.

I seem to remember one of our engineers talking about single member LAG for
this.

Brocade MRP might also address this need.

Those are three ideas that could help.

Re: Link State Propagation over Ethernet [ In reply to ]
As I posted on the Calix Community for you today, Accedian NIDs and their link propagation feature that uses EVC status. =)

Frank