Mailing List Archive

Exported routes from VRF: lost BGP attributes
Hi!

I have two VRFs on MLXe-16 box and I noticed that exported routes
from one VRF to other lost their BGP attributes.

vrf Crimea-IX
rd 31210:39751
address-family ipv4
import routes vrf DTEL-IX route-map rm-BGP-and-Direct
exit-address-family
exit-vrf
!
vrf DTEL-IX
rd 31210:31210
address-family ipv4
import routes vrf Crimea-IX route-map rm-Crimea-IX2DTEL-IX
exit-address-family
exit-vrf

The routes are exported from Crimea-IX to DTEL-IX, for example:

telnet@lsr1-gdr.ki#show ip route vrf DTEL-IX 173.194.40.0/24
Type Codes - B:BGP D:Connected I:ISIS O:OSPF R:RIP S:Static; Cost - Dist/Metric
BGP Codes - i:iBGP e:eBGP
ISIS Codes - L1:Level-1 L2:Level-2
OSPF Codes - i:Inter Area 1:External Type 1 2:External Type 2 s:Sham Link
STATIC Codes - d:DHCPv6
Destination Gateway Port Cost Type Uptime src-vrf
1 173.194.40.0/24 193.34.200.141 ve 205 20/0 Be 25m23s Crimea-IX

In Crimea-IX this route has all its attributes:
telnet@lsr1-gdr.ki#show ip bgp vrf Crimea-IX route 173.194.40.0/24
Number of BGP Routes matching display condition : 1
Status A:AGGREGATE B:BEST b:NOT-INSTALLED-BEST C:CONFED_EBGP D:DAMPED
E:EBGP H:HISTORY I:IBGP L:LOCAL M:MULTIPATH m:NOT-INSTALLED-MULTIPATH
S:SUPPRESSED F:FILTERED s:STALE
Prefix Next Hop MED LocPrf Weight Status
1 173.194.40.0/24 193.34.200.141 100 0 BE
AS_PATH: 42896 15169
Last update to IP routing table: 0h26m44s, 1 path(s) installed:
Route is not advertised to any peers

In DTEL-IX this route has no attributes already:

telnet@lsr1-gdr.ki#show ip bgp vrf DTEL-IX route 173.194.40.0/24
BGP4 : None of the BGP4 routes match the display condition

Is there any way to keep BGP attributes when exporting routes ?

Thanks in advance!

--
MINO-RIPE
Re: Exported routes from VRF: lost BGP attributes [ In reply to ]
I suspect you are actually wanting to look at the vpn route. You
probably need to run:
show ip bgp vpnv4 route 173.194.40.0/24

'show ip bgp vrf NAME' only shows routes learned via the BGP neighbors
within the VRF, not the vpn routes; that is to say the routes learned
from neighbors such as:

router bgp
address-family ipv4 unicast vrf NAME
neighbor ...

These routes are then redistributed across your provider routers via the
BGP vpnv4 address family.

--
Eldon Koyle

Re: Exported routes from VRF: lost BGP attributes [ In reply to ]
Hi Eldon,

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 04:53:05PM -0600, Eldon Koyle wrote:
> I suspect you are actually wanting to look at the vpn route. You
> probably need to run:
> show ip bgp vpnv4 route 173.194.40.0/24
> 'show ip bgp vrf NAME' only shows routes learned via the BGP neighbors
> within the VRF, not the vpn routes; that is to say the routes learned
> from neighbors such as:
>
> router bgp
> address-family ipv4 unicast vrf NAME
> neighbor ...
>
> These routes are then redistributed across your provider routers via the
> BGP vpnv4 address family.
Thank you for suggestion. But I'm afraid I didn't understand you clearly.

telnet@lsr1-gdr.ki#show ip bgp vpnv4 route 173.194.40.0/24
BGP Routing Table is empty

I don't need any VPN. I have a single box with two BGP neighbors connected to,
each neighbor in separate VRF.
In one VRF I need to import routes from different VRF and announce them to BGP
neighbor. But I cannot do that because BGP attributes is lost during import.

MINO-RIPE
Re: Exported routes from VRF: lost BGP attributes [ In reply to ]
hi Alexander,

Have you tried redistributing vrf-a to vpnv4 and export it to vrf-b to see
if the bgp attributes are available?
AFAIK, import/export belongs to the vpnv4 afi and not to vrf-lite
functionality.

Wouter Prins
wp@null0.nl
Re: Exported routes from VRF: lost BGP attributes [ In reply to ]
Hi!

On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 07:25:36PM +0200, Wouter Prins wrote:
> hi Alexander,
> Have you tried redistributing vrf-a to vpnv4 and export it to vrf-b to see if the bgp
> attributes are available?
I cannot find a way how to do that.

> AFAIK, import/export belongs to the vpnv4 afi and not to vrf-lite functionality.
vrf Crimea-IX
rd 31210:39751
address-family ipv4
route-target export 31210:39751
route-target import 31210:31210
route-target import 31210:39751
exit-address-family
exit-vrf

There is no address-family vpnv4 within vrf configuration:
telnet@lsr1-gdr.ki(config)#vrf Crimea-IX
telnet@lsr1-gdr.ki(config-vrf-Crimea-IX)#address-family ?
ipv4 IPv4 address Family
ipv6 IPv6 address Family

--
MINO-RIPE
Re: Exported routes from VRF: lost BGP attributes [ In reply to ]
I was thinking about something like this:

router bgp x
address-family ipv4 vrf vrf-a
redistribute connected
address-familiy ipv4 vrf vrf-b
redistribute connected
address-family vpnv4 unicast

I don't know if it works, but maybe you can try it on a testbox?

--
Wouter Prins
wp@null0.nl

--
Wouter Prins
wp@null0.nl
Re: Exported routes from VRF: lost BGP attributes [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 09:23:32PM +0200, Wouter Prins wrote:
> I was thinking about something like this:
> router bgp x
> address-family ipv4 vrf vrf-a
> redistribute connected
> address-familiy ipv4 vrf vrf-b
> redistribute connected
> address-family vpnv4 unicast
> I don't know if it works, but maybe you can try it on a testbox?
It seems that it didn't help.

Current config:
telnet@lsr1-gdr.ki#show run | b vrf
vrf Crimea-IX
rd 31210:39751
address-family ipv4
route-target export 31210:39751
route-target import 31210:31210
route-target import 31210:39751
import routes vrf DTEL-IX route-map rm-BGP-and-Direct
exit-address-family
exit-vrf
!
vrf DTEL-IX
rd 31210:31210
route-target import 31210:31210
address-family ipv4 max-route 30000
route-target export 31210:31210
route-target import 31210:31210
exit-address-family
exit-vrf

I.e. two VRFs and I need to import all routes from DTEL-IX to Crimea-IX.
BGP configuration now:
telnet@lsr1-gdr.ki#show run | b bgp
router bgp
local-as 31210
neighbor RS-DTEL-IX peer-group
neighbor RS-DTEL-IX remote-as 31210
neighbor RS-DTEL-IX next-hop-self
neighbor RS-DTEL-IX soft-reconfiguration inbound

address-family ipv4 unicast
neighbor RS-DTEL-IX route-map out rm-to-DTEL-IX
neighbor RS-DTEL-IX send-community
exit-address-family

address-family vpnv4 unicast
exit-address-family

address-family ipv4 unicast vrf Crimea-IX
redistribute connected
redistribute bgp
exit-address-family

address-family ipv4 unicast vrf DTEL-IX
neighbor 193.25.180.255 peer-group RS-DTEL-IX
neighbor 193.34.200.254 remote-as 39751
neighbor 193.34.200.254 soft-reconfiguration inbound
neighbor 193.25.180.255 send-community
neighbor 193.34.200.254 maximum-prefix 500 teardown
neighbor 193.34.200.254 route-map in rm-from-Crimea-IX
neighbor 193.34.200.254 route-map out rm-to-Crimea-IX
neighbor 193.34.200.254 send-community
redistribute connected
redistribute bgp
exit-address-family

And the same route is present in both VRFs but in Crimea-IX it lost
BGP attributes:

telnet@lsr1-gdr.ki#show ip bgp vrf DTEL-IX route detail 5.2.32.0/21
Number of BGP Routes matching display condition : 1
Status A:AGGREGATE B:BEST b:NOT-INSTALLED-BEST C:CONFED_EBGP D:DAMPED
E:EBGP H:HISTORY I:IBGP L:LOCAL M:MULTIPATH m:NOT-INSTALLED-MULTIPATH
S:SUPPRESSED F:FILTERED s:STALE
1 Prefix: 5.2.32.0/21, Status: BI, Age: 10h59m35s
NEXT_HOP: 193.25.180.81, Metric: 0, Learned from Peer: 193.25.180.255 (31210)
LOCAL_PREF: 100, MED: none, ORIGIN: igp, Weight: 0
AS_PATH: 29076 5563 41560 41560
COMMUNITIES: 29076:900 29076:50000 29076:50030 29076:52001 29076:52003 31210:29076
Extended Community: SOO 31210:29076
Adj_RIB_out count: 1, Admin distance 200
Last update to IP routing table: 10h59m35s, 1 path(s) installed:
Route is advertised to 1 peers:
193.34.200.254(39751)

telnet@lsr1-gdr.ki#show ip bgp vrf Crimea-IX route detail 5.2.32.0/21
Number of BGP Routes matching display condition : 1
Status A:AGGREGATE B:BEST b:NOT-INSTALLED-BEST C:CONFED_EBGP D:DAMPED
E:EBGP H:HISTORY I:IBGP L:LOCAL M:MULTIPATH m:NOT-INSTALLED-MULTIPATH
S:SUPPRESSED F:FILTERED s:STALE
1 Prefix: 5.2.32.0/21, Status: BL, Age: 0h6m0s
NEXT_HOP: 193.25.180.81, Learned from Peer: Local Router
LOCAL_PREF: 100, MED: 0, ORIGIN: incomplete, Weight: 32768
AS_PATH: