- 2 or more GigE ports
- No TenGigE ports required

So far, it seems that the E-300 with a single LC-EG3-1GE-24P linecard
is the smallest Force10 box that fit these requirements. What details
I should look at about the chassis, RMs and SFMs ? Is there anything
smaller (both in rack units and pricewise) ?

Tks,
Rubens
Re: Force10 box to do full Internet routing [ In reply to ]
force10-nsp-request@puck.nether.net wrote:
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 20:28:35 -0300
> From: "Rubens Kuhl Jr."
> Subject: [F10-nsp] Force10 box to do full Internet routing
>
> Hi.
>
> I'm trying to spec a Force10 box to replace a Cisco 7603 with
> SUP720-3BXL, with the following goals in mind:
> - The smaller the box, the better (rackspace costs)
> - A FIB capable of full Internet routing now and for years to come
> - Enough memory to receive 3 full feeds and a hundred peers
> - Lowest CAPEX and OPEX (service contracts) possible
> - Redundant power supply, no other redundancies on the box (redundant
> path elsewhere)
> - 2 or more GigE ports
> - No TenGigE ports required
>

> So far, it seems that the E-300 with a single LC-EG3-1GE-24P linecard
> is the smallest Force10 box that fit these requirements. What details
> I should look at about the chassis, RMs and SFMs ? Is there anything
> smaller (both in rack units and pricewise) ?

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head. The E300 could probably
support up to about 20+ full feeds currently or about 6mm routes. SFM's
are redundant/load-sharing and don't come as an 'option'. Redundant
route processors (RPMs) are certainly available if you want things like
hitless failovers. Power requirements depend upon whether you're running
120vac, 208vac or DC. That's the smallest full-table-capable box Force10
sells currently. Support options are variable as well.

--Peter