Mailing List Archive

Volume sizes for F840 and FAS940 (was F760 question)
Thanks to all those that provided info on the F760 limits and how to try to create a virtual volume using 2 different volumes. Unfortunately, creating a virtual volume looks like it'll complicate things a bit, so we're looking at upgrading our F760. Now the question is do we go with an F840 or FAS940. I know the F840 can scale to 6TB raw and the FAS940 to 9TB. Does anyone know what the volume size limits are on these systems?

Thanks again,

SMB

Scott Baker <buyandsell2k5@yahoo.com> wrote:
I was hoping to find an answer in the archives, but no luck. We've picked up a NetApp F760 and have had no problems with the system. Recently we've tried adding more disks to the system, but seem to be hitting a limit. The config looks like

14x72GB disks (FC9 BCS)
14x144GB disks (DS14)

This takes us to the maximum of the F760, 3TB, but we can only seem to add
14x72GB disks (1 72GB for spare, 2 RAID groups)
8x144GB disks (1 144GB for spare, 1 RAID group)

These disks are all in one volume, /vol/vol0, but we can't seem to add any of the additional 5 144GB disks to the volume. When we try to add the disks the system tells us it can't do this. From what I've read we should simply need to indicate how many disks we want to add to the volume (ie 5) and it should create a new RAID group if needed. In this case our RAIDGROUP size is set to 8, so it should create the new RAIDGROUP. But this isn't happening. We're running DoT 6.4R1. Have we hit the maximum filesystem size for the F760? I'm not sure what the limit is. We're well within the 56 disks/loop limit. Any help would be appreciated.

If we have hit a filesystem size, then we'll probable have to create a new volume (which we'd prefer not to do). However, if we do have to do this, any suggestions on how to make the new volume appear to simply look like part of the other exported filesystem?

Cheers,

SMB

Re: Volume sizes for F840 and FAS940 (was F760 question) [ In reply to ]
to know capacity of your filer - which relies on the ontapp version and
the filer model
go herre :
http://now.netapp.com/NOW/knowledge/docs/hardware/NetApp/syscfg/

then select an ontapp version
for exemple 642/643

then select your filer model and "storage capacity" in component list
F840 for example

then you got a page like this :
(do the same for other possibilities)

/*NetApp F840 System Capacity*/

The following table defines the maximum system capacity supported by an
F840:

Configuration rules

Size (in TB)

For a single F840

For a single F840 with mirroring

Maximum raw volume size 4 4
Maximum raw capacity 6 12

The following table defines the maximum system capacity supported by an
F840 cluster:

Configuration rules

Size (in TB)

For an F840 cluster

For an F840 cluster with mirroring

Maximum raw volume size 4 4
Maximum raw capacity 12 24

Last updated: December 18, 2003

RE: Volume sizes for F840 and FAS940 (was F760 question) [ In reply to ]
Data ONTAP 6.5

NetApp storage appliance model Maximum volume size RAW
FAS960, GF960, FAS980, R150, and R200 16 TB
FAS940, GF940, F880, and R100 8 TB
FAS270 4 TB
F840 4 TB
F760, F820, F825, FAS250, and GF825 2 TB
F810 1.5 TB
F740 1 TB
F720 .5 TB

Hope this helps

[...]