I know the healthy disk is also copied to a spare before you can replace the caddy, but do you then replace both disks, or do you just replace the broken disk of the two?

I also have plans on replacing the IOM6 modules with IOM12 just as you can in the DS4246 shelfs.. any issues with that?

I know this is close if not far beyond what is supported ????

/Heino

Heino Walther<https://www.linkedin.com/in/heinowalther/>
Beardmann ApS<http://beardmann.dk/>
Jellingvej 9 - 7100 Vejle<https://goo.gl/maps/xQVPFMHXpXu>

D: 7199 9060 M: 2075 7501
Re: Migration to DS4486 shelf? [ In reply to ]
Maybe easier to use a DS460C ?

Same 4HU, space for 12 more disks, already 12GB/IOM12...

And should be officially supported, I think.

/Sebastian

P.S. And yes, there's a proactive evacuation of the "other" disk, if one
fails. And publishes the disks as 2 "partitions" of a single disk to
ONTAP... (which the DS460C does not do)

Re: Migration to DS4486 shelf? [ In reply to ]
Do not do it. That shelf is end of support. It won?t work properly on current ONTAP versions

Disk failures are a pain. ONTAP prevents two disks in the same caddy from being in the same raid group. When a disk does fail it has to fail the serving drives in the caddy and you replaced two at a time

(Any typos are courtesy of Google GBoard!)

--tmac

<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>
________________________________

SV: Migration to DS4486 shelf? [ In reply to ]
I know, but the DS460C it very deep… and also somewhat more expensive ????

I tried to investigate a bit more, and NetApp mentions MSATA on their 8 and 10TB PN for the DS4486 which worries me, so I would guess the drive connectors are SATA and not SAS in which case it is a no-go…

/Heino

SV: Migration to DS4486 shelf? [ In reply to ]
As far as I can see on Hardware universe, DS4486 is still supported on 9.12.1 ????
But you are right, if ONTAP wants to control which disks are in which raid groups, it may become an issue… it may make good sense, but when going from an existing setup by moving the disks over will require some planning ????
Anyway, I think the idea is deal because it looks like only SATA and MSATA is supported in the caddies, and my existing disks are SAS…

/Heino

Re: Migration to DS4486 shelf? [ In reply to ]
In any case but even close to supported
The disk may be similar but only certain disks are allowed in that shelf and the ones you want to cost over are not those disk.
Please stop entertaining this idea especially for a production system. It won?t be trouble waiting to happen

Re: Migration to DS4486 shelf? [ In reply to ]
I checked in HWU, there's literally no overlap between the disks you can
put into a 4486 and the ones in a 212C.

On the other hand, you should be able to use the suggested DS460C. From
what I see, all the disks in a DS212C are also supported in the 460C...

And the offset for the extra cost would be, that you can re-use the
IOM12 modules...

/Sebastian

SV: Migration to DS4486 shelf? [ In reply to ]
Yes, one thing is NetApp’s PN, another thing is what it actually possible…
As I mentioned initially, this may be “over the line” support wise, and yes I know all the risks etc. ????
I think we will keep an eye out for a cheap DS460C which should be the correct replacement (if we can muscle it into the rack) ????
In fact, the disk PN for the 460C does not match those for 212C (not NetApp’s PN) and this is of cause because of the different caddy used, but yes the disk drives are the same, and are all SAS drives, so I am sure it would work this way.

I am pretty sure I would also be able to use the IOM12 in the 4486, just as you are able to do in the DS4243/4246, which I also doesn’t think is 100% supported, yet it works just fine, so the backplane must be SAS3 compatible all the way from DS4243 I guess ????

/Heino

Re: Migration to DS4486 shelf? [ In reply to ]
Had a closer look, quick checks can be deceiving... :-|

On 30.11.2022 16:07, Sebastian Goetze wrote:

> I checked in HWU, there's literally no overlap between the disks you
> can put into a 4486 and the ones in a 212C.
>
> On the other hand, you should be able to use the suggested DS460C.
> From what I see, all the disks in a DS212C are also supported in the
> 460C...

Size and Type fit, but the model numbers are actually different.

This time I checked the disks, and which shelved they fit into:

X318A-R6 actually fits into the DS212C (no surprise), but neither the
DS4486 nor the DS460C.

Technically I do not really see a problem, but who knows, the available
firmware might have something to say about that... e.g.

* X318__*HARHE08TA07*_ in the 212C
* X376__*HARHE08TA07*_ in the 460C

Reflash the disks? Hmmmmmmmmm...

/Sebastian

Re: Migration to DS4486 shelf? [ In reply to ]
The carriers are different between a DS212C and a DS460C, which is part of the PN difference. The DS212C uses traditional front-load carriers whereas the DS460C uses a cammed "drop-in" style carrier. I've never tried swapping a disk from one carrier to the other, but I suspect it would work just fine (obviously without support).

[cid:image001.png@01D9081D.2EDE88B0]

[cid:image002.png@01D9081D.2EDE88B0]

Thus, my more practical concern would be acquiring the carriers along with the DS460C, as normally they come bundled with the drives.

Thanks,
Michael

From: Toasters <toasters-bounces@teaparty.net> on behalf of Sebastian Goetze <spgoetze@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, November 30, 2022 at 10:25 AM
To: "toasters@teaparty.net" <toasters@teaparty.net>
Subject: Re: Migration to DS4486 shelf?

This message was sent by an external party.