Von: Florian Schmid <fschmid@ubimet.com>
Gesendet: Dienstag, 29. November 2022 12:13
An: toasters <toasters@teaparty.net>
Betreff: Re: NetApp backup to 3rd party S3 storage

Hi there,

wow, thank you very much for all your help!

Yes, I'm now more confused than before, but please let me summarize all of your statements in my words:

* CBS is a solution to backup non S3 local NetApp volumes (flex vols) to Cloud providers or StorageGrid?
* S3 Snampmirror is only for S3 storage to S3 storage, example on-prem Ontap can also have S3 object storage and this I could sync to AWS S3 for example
* NetApp Cloud backup is somehow quite new and should compete with 3rd party backup vendors to use NetApp built in backup features to backup to cloud storage or on-prem storage-grid

* there will be in future maybe different backup targets, but not for now

* Snapdiff v3 is the only remaining snapdiff version and with this, I could do backup snapshot diffs block wise?

* Only a few 3rd party backup solutions are supporting this, but those can be used to fully backup an on-prem NetApp Ontap cluster and its volumes

* NDMP is quite old and can I do with this differential backups of NetApp volumes using snapshots?

* Should snapdiff v3 replace this?

* Best way to backup an on-prem NetApp Ontap Cluster would be a second NetApp cluster using snapmirror / snapvault

As I understand this correctly, if I want to backup a NetApp Ontap Cluster with only flex volumes, I can use another NetApp with snapmirror, or a NetApp StorageGrid, or some special 3rd party backup solutions, which support snapdiff v3?

Sorry for so much questions, but this is not easy to understand all the possibilities.

Best regards,
Florian