Fra: Florian Schmid <fschmid@ubimet.com>
Dato: mandag, 28. november 2022 kl. 14.45
Til: toasters@teaparty.net <toasters@teaparty.net>
Emne: NetApp backup to 3rd party S3 storage
Hi there, I wanted to ask, if someone knows or has this done already, if you can backup your on premise NetApp Ontap volumes to a 3rd party S3 storage. As far as I understand this so called "cloud-backup", it can send snapshot diffs (block based) to a S3 storage like AWS or on-premise StorageGrid nodes. But would this also work to 3rd party S3 storage tools like minIO? Let's image we have a huge on-premise S3 storage running minIO or what ever vendor, can I use this also as a target for my Ontap volume backup? NetApp itself is only mentioning 3rd party S3 storage for tiering, but not for backup. If this is not possible, is there another possibility to backup volume snapshot diffs to a non netapp storage? It must be block based and not file based backup. Best regards Florian
SV: NetApp backup to 3rd party S3 storage [ In reply to ]
Please note, that S3 SnapMirror cannot snapmirror a FlexVol, but only your S3 buckets located on your ONTAP Filer…
There is no way to backup a FlexVol (and restore it as a FlexVol) other than with SnapMirror/Vault or NDMP.
…and there most likely never will be ????

/Heino