Mailing List Archive

Does NetApp still sell physical file servers?
Subject: Does NetApp still sell physical file servers?

Good day from Singapore,

Does NetApp still sell physical file servers?

I read from Wikipedia that NetApp, Inc. is an American hybrid cloud
data services and data management company headquartered in San Jose,
California. It has ranked in the Fortune 500 from 2012–2021. Founded
in 1992 with an IPO in 1995, NetApp offers cloud data services for
management of applications and data both online and physically.

I see that NetApp has ventured into the cloud.

Thank you.

Regards,

Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
Targeted Individual in Singapore
12 Aug 2022 Fri
Blogs:
https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.com
https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com

SV: Does NetApp still sell physical file servers? [ In reply to ]
Hi there

Yes they do. Their ?fileservers? can also do most other protocols (iSCSI, FibreChannel, FCoE, NFS, CIFS) it is all the same ?firmare? called ONTAP.
You basically just pay for the specific licenses (or buy a bundle pack)
You can have ONTAP as physical hardware from NetApp or as a virtual appliance (for vSphere) or in the cloud.
NetApp is OEM?ed as Lenovo and recently also Fujitsu. (I think Fujitsu only sells ONTAP base systems in Japan)

/Heino

Re: Does NetApp still sell physical file servers? [ In reply to ]
Yes. (Was this a serious question???)

https://www.netapp.com/data-storage/

Scroll down to see FAS/AFF/ASA systems plus
E-Series/StorageGrid/Solidfire appliances...

Was that difficult to find?
The Data Fabric vision means *connecting* on-prem with cloud data services.
The Data Services e.g. ONTAP/StorageGrid/ElementOS can be delivered via
specialized HW ("appliances") or virtualized on VMware/Hyperscaler
(AWS/Azure/GCP/...)/Linux container.
Venturing into the cloud and offering services not available on-prem
(e.g. Spot) doesn't mean giving up on on-prem appliances.

my 2c

Not a NetApp employee, just a Storage Instructor.

Re: Does NetApp still sell physical file servers? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 at 16:20, Heino Walther <hw@beardmann.dk> wrote:

> Hi there
>

> Yes they do. Their “fileservers” can also do most other protocols (iSCSI, FibreChannel, FCoE, NFS, CIFS) it is all the same “firmare” called ONTAP.
>
> You basically just pay for the specific licenses (or buy a bundle pack)
>
> You can have ONTAP as physical hardware from NetApp or as a virtual appliance (for vSphere) or in the cloud.
>
> NetApp is OEM’ed as Lenovo and recently also Fujitsu. (I think Fujitsu only sells ONTAP base systems in Japan)

Noted with thanks.

Re: Does NetApp still sell physical file servers? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 at 16:23, Sebastian Goetze <spgoetze@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes. (Was this a serious question???)
>
> https://www.netapp.com/data-storage/
>
> Scroll down to see FAS/AFF/ASA systems plus
> E-Series/StorageGrid/Solidfire appliances...
>

> Was that difficult to find?
> The Data Fabric vision means *connecting* on-prem with cloud data services.
> The Data Services e.g. ONTAP/StorageGrid/ElementOS can be delivered via
> specialized HW ("appliances") or virtualized on VMware/Hyperscaler
> (AWS/Azure/GCP/...)/Linux container.
> Venturing into the cloud and offering services not available on-prem
> (e.g. Spot) doesn't mean giving up on on-prem appliances.

I saw the Wikipedia article that NetApp is specializing on cloud
services. I thought it has given up on physical appliances.

Re: Does NetApp still sell physical file servers? [ In reply to ]
There will come a time when physical appliances are not profitable anymore.
I don’t think it’s coming anytime soon, though.

Re: Does NetApp still sell physical file servers? [ In reply to ]
There is a strong push at Netapp for cloud based recurring revenue. So I
agree it was kind of a "stupid question" (I say this nicely) -- Netapp is
not focused on prem/physical appliances as new growth. They are merely
using FAS/GRID as a stepping stone (data fabric) via features like CVO,
tiering, cloud backup etc.
There is always going to be a place for onprem devices, in the coming year
I think you'll see more of these workloads return on prem. The economy is
forcing folks to admit maybe not all workloads are meant to be cloudy :) I
guess, good news the data fabric is there to return the data back home!

Re: Does NetApp still sell physical file servers? [ In reply to ]
I don't think it's a stupid question at all. If you go to https://www.netapp.com, you have to drill down through at least two levels of menu to even find the product pages for the FAS and AFF systems, which are not highlighted in any way. If you weren't a current customer, you would assume that they had become some sort of cloud services company (which, of course, the intent).

Compare with https://hpe.com (which is similar), and contrast with https://www.dell.com and https://www.purestorage.com, where you have pictures of hardware front and center.

Thanks,
Michael

From: Toasters <toasters-bounces@teaparty.net> on behalf of Douglas Siggins <siggins@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, August 12, 2022 at 9:26 AM
To: Basil <basilberntsen@gmail.com>
Cc: "ceo@teo-en-ming-corp.com" <ceo@teo-en-ming-corp.com>, "toasters@teaparty.net" <toasters@teaparty.net>
Subject: Re: Does NetApp still sell physical file servers?

This message was sent by an external party.

Re: Does NetApp still sell physical file servers? [ In reply to ]
Very well said, Michael. I totally agree with your comments.

Re: Does NetApp still sell physical file servers? [ In reply to ]
I agree it should be on the front page, although this is available from the
front page 1 level down
https://www.netapp.com/data-storage/san-storage-area-network/

Mark