Mailing List Archive

Security Descriptor noob question
I have a test volume with a CIFS share and default permissions. If I want
to modify the NTFS permissions using either vserver security file-directory
ntfs modify...or something like Ansible, how do I find the security
descriptor to modify(ntfs-sd):

vserver security file-directory show -vserver svm1 -path /test4 -instance

Vserver: svm1
File Path: /test4
File Inode Number: 64
Security Style: ntfs
Effective Style: ntfs
DOS Attributes: 10
DOS Attributes in Text: ----D---
Expanded Dos Attributes: -
UNIX User Id: 0
UNIX Group Id: 0
UNIX Mode Bits: 777
UNIX Mode Bits in Text: rwxrwxrwx
ACLs: NTFS Security Descriptor
Control:0x8004
Owner:BUILTIN\Administrators
Group:BUILTIN\Administrators
DACL - ACEs
ALLOW-Everyone-0x1f01ff
ALLOW-Everyone-0x10000000-OI|CI|IO

Feel like I'm missing something obvious here. . .

Thanks,

--Carl
Re: Security Descriptor noob question [ In reply to ]
I believe you can't do that, and to modify the perms using the
file-directory commands you'll need to create an ntfs-sd, add the right
ACEs you want (and you can't just tell the ntfs-sd to populate itself based
on an existing files ACL) then create a policy and policy tasks to apply
the SD to a path.

If you want to modify only one ACE, you still need to set up the ntfs-sd to
have all the ACEs in it as running the policy will blow away the existing
DACL and replace with what the ntfs-sd has, not just modify the individual
ACE you mentioned.

Cheers

Graham

Re: Security Descriptor noob question [ In reply to ]
Carl,

First I would see if you have created any security descriptors yet:
vserver security file-directory ntfs show

If not, then create one:
vserver security file-directory ntfs create

And then you can modify it.

Here is a link that might be helpful as well:
https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.dot-cm-cmpr-900%2Fvserver__security__file-directory__ntfs__modify.html

Thank you,
Tim

________________________________

Re: Security Descriptor noob question [ In reply to ]
Thanks Graham!

So, if you're trying to set NTFS ACL's via Ansible, is there a benefit to
doing it through the ONTAP Ansible Collection > ONTAP Policy > ntfs-sd, or
would it be simpler, and perhaps more portable, to do it via an
Ansible/WIndows/NTFS Collection(if such a thing exists)?

Thanks

--Carl

Re: Security Descriptor noob question [ In reply to ]
Carl,

What is your use case, what are you trying to achieve? Is it a big once-off
permissions change you want to implement or an ongoing requirement to be
regularly changing permissions back to some standard? The ONTAP ansible
modules seem to have everything you'd need, i.e. create the SD, add the
DACLs, create policy and tasks. I'm not sure what a windows/NTFS centric
ansible collection would offer (assuming it exists), but I expect executing
file permission changes directly on the filer would be faster than via a
CIFS client so theres that benefit.

One thing I guess is that any "idempotence" of using ONTAP ansible modules
for something like this is a bit of an illusion, because it's the ONTAP
config of 'ntfs-sd's, DACLs and policy tasks that you're actually keeping
consistent, not directly the permissions themselves. Looking at the ansible
module for file-directory policy, it would execute the policy if a change
was made to it like a new task is added, but not if you just need it to run
because you know the actual NTFS permissions need a tune up, it's using
that ONTAP policy configuration to manage idempotence, which is the right
thing to do, but isn't really what you would be expecting in practice.

Cheers
Graham

Re: Security Descriptor noob question [ In reply to ]
The use case is a volume with folders that have very specific permissions
set on them. I agree with you. I think the ONTAP ansible modules are a good
fit here.

Thanks for the great feedback.

--Carl