Hello Toasters,

Anybody have experience, positive or negative, upgrading from 9.3 to 9.7?

It is a supported automated upgrade path but requires packages for
both 9.5 and 9.7. My understanding is each node will be upgraded
twice (once to 9.5 then to 9.7) but otherwise should follow the
typical automated upgrade routine.

Thank You
Phil
Re: Upgrade from 9.3 to 9.7 [ In reply to ]
Philbert:

We did this recently and the upgrade was smooth.
Your understanding is correct, it upgrades to 9.5 and then 9.7, but
otherwise is the typical process.

Re: Upgrade from 9.3 to 9.7 [ In reply to ]
Excellent! Thanks for the responses. Glad to hear this is a smooth
process.

We've got two 6 node clusters (each cluster = 3 HA pairs) to upgrade.
Snapmirror relationships between each cluster, no cascading to a third
cluster or anything like that.

We've never performed a double ONTAP upgrade during a single
maintenance window so were a bit hesitant when we saw this upgrade
path. This feedback helps alleviate my concerns, really appreciate
it. I'll be sure to double the usual maintenance window to allow time
for both upgrades.

Excited to get to 9.7. I really wish 9.7 included the GA release of
ONTAP S3 but I suppose we'll just have to wait until we get to 9.8.

Happy weekend everybody!
-Phil

Re: Upgrade from 9.3 to 9.7 [ In reply to ]
I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but make sure you use
9.5P-latest or at least a recent P release. That way, if you have
to stop at the 9.5 hop for any reason, you are on a recent release.

Also, there is a BURT in 9.5P5 and earlier that requires manual
intervention to deal with expired certificates. 9.5P6 and later
have the updated certs.

https://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/cgi-bin/bol?Type=Detail&Display=1250500

John

Re: Upgrade from 9.3 to 9.7 [ In reply to ]
Not preaching to the choir. Duly noted - thank you for that note.
I recall something similar with expired vserver certs when we upgraded
from 9.1 to 9.3.

I am planning to use the latest P-release of both 9.5 and 9.7. I
dont recall seeing anything related to the 9.3 -> 9.7 jump that
requires a specific P release, so going with the latest seems to make
the most sense.

Though I will admit, it has to be a P release that has been out for a
while. I tend to avoid deploying P releases that have been out for
<1 month. That's not a best practice or anything, just a safety net
of sorts that we've adopted as an IT organization. The only
exception to that "rule" is if we're in a buggy release and a
just-released-patch includes a fix for a specific problem we're
experiencing.

Phil

Re: Upgrade from 9.3 to 9.7 [ In reply to ]
Speaking of certs....ONTAP 9.8 includes a new addition when doing the
Certificate request...
SAN: Subject Alternative Names !

Now when doing the "security certificate generate" command, there are two
new options:
-ip & -dns

For -ip you can add all your admin IP addresses (node mgmts, SPs, cluster
admin) and all the DNS names (including all short names and FQDNs for all
the admin interfaces).

--tmac

*Tim McCarthy, **Principal Consultant*

*Proud Member of the #NetAppATeam <https://twitter.com/NetAppATeam>*

*I Blog at TMACsRack <https://tmacsrack.wordpress.com/>*

Re: Upgrade from 9.3 to 9.7 [ In reply to ]
Works well check your cluster switch firmware versions, and upgrade your
SPs directly prior if supported. I've seen many instances of SP hangs when
we went through that process over a year ago (hundreds of nodes). Overall
9.7 is a great stable version.

Re: Upgrade from 9.3 to 9.7 [ In reply to ]
Always reboot those sp/bmc before attempting any upgrade. It usually solves the SP update process from failing !

________________________________

Re: Upgrade from 9.3 to 9.7 [ In reply to ]
Going to resurrect this thread from the ashes. A couple of questions:

Just a quick poll - how many of you are performing rolling ANDU upgrades
via System Manager? I see it is documented as the "preferred" ANDU method
despite Upgrade Avisor walking through the CLI based steps.

*"You can also perform an automated upgrade using the command line
interface (CLI); however,*
*using ONTAP System Manager is preferred."*

*https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2876872
<https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2876872>*

Also, is the System Manager method available if performing the
double/direct upgrade from 9.3->9.7?

Thanks,
Phil

Re: Upgrade from 9.3 to 9.7 [ In reply to ]
I think you need to be on at least 9.5 to punch through to higher releases.

The 9.3 to 9.5 with system manager is very manageable. Even if you were to start the upgrade with the cli you can still go to the gui upgrade page and watch the progress.

I only end up at the cli in the event of an issue.
cluster image show-update-progress
Is your friend.

________________________________

Re: Upgrade from 9.3 to 9.7 [ In reply to ]
9.5 is definitely a needed interim step.

Re: Upgrade from 9.3 to 9.7 [ In reply to ]
It is. For sure. But once on 9.5, you can load 9.7Px and 9.8PX on the
system and it will do the auto-update from 9.5 -> 9.7Px -> 9.8Px

One will have to do the 9.3 -> 9.5Px step first though.

Re: Upgrade from 9.3 to 9.7 [ In reply to ]
9.3 -> 9.7 is a supported "direct" ANDU path, per Upgrade Advisor.

It involves both loading both the 9.5 and 9.7 packages in to the repository
but just one ANDU required to make that jump. Each node is upgraded twice
(9.3->9.5;9.5->9.7) as the ANDU rolls through the cluster as I understand
it.

Thanks for the feedback on System Manager. I'm used to kicking it off from
the CLI so I'll just stick with that.

Re: Upgrade from 9.3 to 9.7 [ In reply to ]
What version of ONTAP can I upgrade to:

https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap/upgrade/concept_upgrade_paths.html

Cheer,
Kuber

Re: Upgrade from 9.3 to 9.7 [ In reply to ]
Is the direct upgrade from 9.3->9.7 possible if currently running BMC fw
1.67?

The strict upgrade requirements around BMC fw 1.81 are raising a bunch of
concerns as it relates to 9.3->9.7 direct.