Mailing List Archive

space reporting on AFF's with compression?
Hello All,

We're migrating from a FAS to a new AFF that has inline compression and
a guarantee of 3X compression.

I'm trying to convert a graphite/snmp graphing system that reports our
overall aggregate space usage to the new system.

A straightforward graph of used and free space on the data
aggregates/tiers shows the right portion of space used but seems to be
reporting pre-compression usage (and we appear to be getting less than 3X).

The System Manager webUI says we're getting ~120:1 "Data Reduction" but
it also says we're using 1.74PB and have 14TB available. In fact we
currently have 48 x 900GB SSDs in two disk groups/tiers and about 40TB
of actual unstructured data.

Is there a doc somewhere on understanding space reporting with the new
system including meaningful reporting of compression returns?

Grateful for any help,

Randy in Seattle

Re: space reporting on AFF's with compression? [ In reply to ]
OK, no responses to my below so let me ask a simpler question.

The System Manager Dashboard's "Capacity" pane says I'm using 1.83PB
with 11.7TB available. That's clearly not accurate.

If I click into the arrow in that pane I get the Tiers page and it says
my two Tiers respectively have 875TB used and 6.5TB available, and 1PB
used and 5.2TB available.

What the hell are these numbers describing?

Hope to hear from you

Re: space reporting on AFF's with compression? [ In reply to ]
also, that pane says I'm getting 108X data reduction. Is that the new
inline compression? And is that number likely to be accurate after
NetApp promised us (in writing!) compression?

Re: space reporting on AFF's with compression? [ In reply to ]
I would assume that when NetApp promised you 3x savings they weren't

referring to just compression. The AFF also does in-line deduplication, plus

there is compaction. And some things also count in savings from snapshots.

The 180x number, is that in the circle on the tiers page? If you hover over it,

it will show the value without snapshots counted.

If you want a better break down try using (CLI):

aggr show-efficiency -aggregate aggr -instance

________________________________

Re: space reporting on AFF's with compression? [ In reply to ]
Those super large artificial numbers:

Basically, if you were to rehydrate *all* the snapshots on the system, I
think that is the amount of space it would consume.
I am not a fan, more of a marketing gimmick. i wish/hope it changes. I see
questions on it way too much
--tmac

*Tim McCarthy, **Principal Consultant*

*Proud Member of the #NetAppATeam <https://twitter.com/NetAppATeam>*

*I Blog at TMACsRack <https://tmacsrack.wordpress.com/>*

Re: space reporting on AFF's with compression? [ In reply to ]
Yeah, that's not a useful number in any context and it just creates
confusion. What I need to know is how much uncompressed data I'm serving
and what portion of the physical space it's consuming. I need to know
what my users are storing and when I need to plan for expansion.