It would of course be nice if we could just add the 40GbE interfaces to the
current port channels and ifgrp's, but I don't think the 9K's will allow us
to mix speeds in a port channel. Perhaps it's possible on the 9K side to
set the new interfaces to 10GbE, add them to the ifgrp's and port channels,
drop the original 10GbE interfaces out and raise the speed on the new
interfaces up to 40GbE. . .

Thanks in advance for any help.

--Carl
Re: 10GbE to 40GbE Upgrade [ In reply to ]
Add in the cards.
Configure a new port-channel with 40Gb ports
Add any VLANs to the new port channel
Add the VLANs to the broadcast-domains as needed
Migrate all LIFs off the the original ifgrp
remove the 10Gb LIFs/ports from the broadcast domains

Make sense?

--tmac

*Tim McCarthy, **Principal Consultant*

*Proud Member of the #NetAppATeam <https://twitter.com/NetAppATeam>*

*I Blog at TMACsRack <https://tmacsrack.wordpress.com/>*

Re: 10GbE to 40GbE Upgrade [ In reply to ]
It does. Thank you!

--Carl

Re: 10GbE to 40GbE Upgrade [ In reply to ]
Best way to do this is one node at a time. I’m going with the presumption
that the 40GbE cards are in slot 1 of the A300s.

First thing you would do is migrate all of your data LIFs from node1 to
node2. You can do this with the migrate-all command:

cluster1::> network interface migrate-all -node node1

If you have iSCSI LIFs, you will have to down the LIFs and modify them to
have node2 as the home node and respective ports:

cluster1::> network interface modify -vserver svm1 -lif iscsi1
-status-admin down
cluster1::> network interface modify -vserver svm1 -lif iscsi1 -home-node
node2 -home-port a0a

Additionally, if you have any intercluster LIFs, you will have to record
their information so you can recreate them; presuming you don’t have
another port on the local node to move to that would be valid.

Once all of the LIFs have been moved over to node2, remove the existing
10GbE ports from the interface group on node1 and add the new 40GbE ports:

cluster1::> network port ifgrp remove-port -node node1 -ifgrp a0a -port e0e
cluster1::> network port ifgrp remove-port -node node1 -ifgrp a0a -port e0g
cluster1::> network port ifgrp add-port -node node1 -ifgrp a0a -port e1a
cluster1::> network port ifgrp add-port -node node1 -ifgrp a0a -port e1b

Validate your interface group status and begin reverting your LIFs back to
node1:

cluster1::> network port ifgrp show
cluster1::> network interface revert *

NOTE: You will have to manually modify any iSCSI LIFs and recreate any
intercluster LIFs that you recorded.

Repeat for node2 and you should be good to go.

Regards,
Andre M. Clark

Re: 10GbE to 40GbE Upgrade [ In reply to ]
I have used that method also. Both work very well.

Re: 10GbE to 40GbE Upgrade [ In reply to ]
Thanks Scott and Andre!

--Carl