Mailing List Archive

NDMP Backup speeds
Hi there

We are doing NDMP backups from out FAS2750 with NL-SAS disks onto LTO8 tape drives via NetBackup.

For other reasons we are doing this via 10G Ethernet, and not directly connected tapedrives to the NetApp controllers.

We are seeing backup speeds of about 40-50MB/sec. which is kinda slow, the backup is a Windows host that is doing nothing… no CPU or memory load as we backup.

The LTO8 drives should be able to do much better (350MB/sec. before compression)…

The aggregates are RAID-TEC with 17 drives in it.  We are on ONTAP 9.7.  We are not seeing a lot of load as we are running the backups…

Could it be that the protocol itself it as cause here?

In the “old days” we did NDMP backup directly from the controllers to the tape drives.

We are now thinking of converting two 10G ports to fibrechannel ports…  if possible…

So I have two questions 😊

The FAS2750 is configured with RJ45 10G ports, but would it be possible to use FCoE and somehow connect this to a FC/Ethernet switch and be able to connect it to the tape drive which is 8G FC (LC Connectors) ?

(I have not worked that much with FCoE… if the FAS2750 was configured with CNA-Ports, it would have been easy to convert that into FC)

Has anyone tried to backup NL-SAS volumes similar to this over directly connected NDMP, and what kind of speeds are you seeing?

Finally if anyone have any idea if the NetBackup setup can be tweaked somehow, that would also be useful… (we have tweaked it a bit)

/Heino