balanced automatically across the constituents of a flexgroup?

Hope to hear from you,

Randy in Seatlle

Re: WAFL error on a flexgroup? [ In reply to ]
I don't know that error, but you can see the constituents by:
vol show -vserver vserver_name -is-constituent true

-jeff

From: Toasters <toasters-bounces@teaparty.net> on behalf of "Rue, Randy" <randyrue@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 11:28 AM
To: Toasters <toasters@teaparty.net>
Subject: [SUSPECTED SPAM]WAFL error on a flexgroup?

External Email - Use Caution

Hello All,

Seeing this error repeatedly in the logs:

wafl.vol.fsp.full:error]: volume
scharp_systems__0002@vserver:51aa02de-9c6e-11eb-9f37-d039ea257af4:
insufficient space in FSP wafl_remote_reserve to satisfy a request of 0
holes and 12 overwrites.

An online search is giving me nothing meaningful, not even NetApp
specific results.

Note that this is a constituent volume for a larger flexgroup (which are
new to us).

Is the constituent volume full? If so, is there some reason data isn't

Re: WAFL error on a flexgroup? [ In reply to ]
sure enough, that constituent volume is completely full:

scarab::> vol show -vserver scharpdata  -is-constituent true
Vserver   Volume       Aggregate    State      Type       Size Available
Used%
--------- ------------ ------------ ---------- ---- ----------
---------- -----
scharpdata scharp_systems__0002 scarab_b_SSD_1 online RW 448GB
0B  100%

now what?

Re: WAFL error on a flexgroup? [ In reply to ]
OK, resizing the flexgroup added some space to the constituent volume
(to all of them, actually) and now it has free space. But a look at the
eight CVs in the FG shows they range from 22% to 68% full. Is something
keeping them more or less balanced? If so, how did it fail? And if not,
what the hell?

Re: WAFL error on a flexgroup? [ In reply to ]
I believe this might help:

Elastic sizing was introduced in Ontap 9.6. This article details the issue:
https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Storage_Software/ONTAP_OS/Elastic_Sizing_with_FlexGroup_Volumes

This should be turned on by default but can be turned off via:
node run nodename flexgroup set elastic-sizing=false

Re: WAFL error on a flexgroup? [ In reply to ]
We're at 9.8P1. I'll dig into the below link.

Re: WAFL error on a flexgroup? [ In reply to ]
OK, after reading the below it sounds like elastic sizing should already
be on and should have prevented my full constituent volume. Why didn't it?

What's proactive resizing? Where can I find out more about it?

Re: WAFL error on a flexgroup? [ In reply to ]
Thank you.

I'm not finding any mention of turning this feature on or off, is the
default? If so, we're at 9.8P1 and should be running it.