Mailing List Archive

Ndmpcopy times out...
Hi guys

I have to migrate a large folder form one volume to another on the same system.

We are talking ONTAP 9.something, so the ndmpcopy is not a part of the cDot commandset, so the node shell have to be used…

The process runs and it starts to copy etc.. but after x-minutes the connection is terminated due to inactivity…

I have now tried to login to the service-processor, then “system console”, and then “node run -node node1 -command “ndmpcopy ….”  And once again it starts, but is then terminated as my connection as shown here:

Ndmpcopy: 10.64.9.142: Log: DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]

Ndmpcopy: 10.64.9.142: Log: RESTORE: Tue May 18 13:08:27 2021: Creating files and directories.

Ndmpcopy: 10.64.9.142: Log: RESTORE: Tue May 18 13:10:33 2021 : We have processed 298105 files and directories.

Ndmpcopy: 10.64.9.142: Log: RESTORE: Tue May 18 13:15:33 2021 : We have processed 508611 files and directories.

Ndmpcopy: 10.64.9.142: Log: RESTORE: Tue May 18 13:20:33 2021 : We have processed 693207 files and directories.

Ndmpcopy: 10.64.9.142: Log: RESTORE: Tue May 18 13:25:33 2021 : We have processed 860486 files and directories.

Autologout: System Console being disconnected due to inactivity

Any good suggestions are very welcome 😊

/Heino
SV: Ndmpcopy times out... [ In reply to ]
Btw. Found this article describing the process: https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Protection_and_Security/NDMP/Ndmpcopy_run_via_SSH_consistently_aborts_after_a_fixed_amount_of_time

Here is the “solution” as described in the article… the problem is that once I get the “disconnect” it does actually disconnect… maybe not from the Service-Processor, but it does disconnect the “node-shell” and the ndmpcopy process as a result…
I cannot find any timeout options in the service-processor options…. So not sure if I’m doing something wrong? I would think I am doing exactly as described below…

* Avoid SSH-related timeouts by running ndmpcopy from the console.
* To run ndmpcopy (or any command) from the console:
1) First, find the IP of the service processor (SP) by running:
::> system service-processor show
2) After the IP of the SP is known, log in to the SP.
3) From the SP prompt, run system console to access the console.
4) Once at the system console prompt, re-run the ndmpcopy command from the console.

NOTE: It is possible the connection to the system console will time out. Unlike a SSH session, any process started from system console will continue to run in the background.

* start ndmpcopy from the clustershell, via node run.
* DO NOT start ndmpcopy directly from nodeshell

The command I then run as point 4 is: node run -node node1 -command “ndmpcopy…..” and then wait…

So I’m at a loss here …

/Heino

Re: Ndmpcopy times out... [ In reply to ]
What are you actually doing, more exactly? Sounds like it should be this:

- ssh admin@service-processor
- system console
- (log into system console)
- system node run -node node1 “ndmpcopy…..”

You could also do "timeout modify -timeout 0" on the clustershell....just
remember to set it back at some other point (default is 30)

Note you are *not* hitting the SSH timeout:

Autologout: System Console being disconnected due to inactivity

So doing the timeout above may be all you need.

--tmac

*Tim McCarthy, **Principal Consultant*

*Proud Member of the #NetAppATeam <https://twitter.com/NetAppATeam>*

*I Blog at TMACsRack <https://tmacsrack.wordpress.com/>*

SV: Ndmpcopy times out... [ In reply to ]
OK I will give it a try… strange that it is not mentioned in the article…

/Heino

Fra: tmac <tmacmd@gmail.com>
Dato: tirsdag, 18. maj 2021 kl. 14.35
Til: Heino Walther <hw@beardmann.dk>
Cc: toasters@teaparty.net <toasters@teaparty.net>
Emne: Re: Ndmpcopy times out...

Proud Member of the https://twitter.com/NetAppATeam"]#NetAppATeam

I Blog at https://tmacsrack.wordpress.com/"]TMACsRack

Btw. Found this article describing the process: https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Protection_and_Security/NDMP/Ndmpcopy_run_via_SSH_consistently_aborts_after_a_fixed_amount_of_time"]https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Protection_and_Security/NDMP/Ndmpcopy_run_via_SSH_consistently_aborts_after_a_fixed_amount_of_time

Fra: Toasters <toasters-bounces@teaparty.net> på vegne af Heino Walther <hw@beardmann.dk>
Dato: tirsdag, 18. maj 2021 kl. 13.59
Til: toasters@teaparty.net <toasters@teaparty.net>

Hi guys

I have to migrate a large folder form one volume to another on the same system.

We are talking ONTAP 9.something, so the ndmpcopy is not a part of the cDot commandset, so the node shell have to be used…

The process runs and it starts to copy etc.. but after x-minutes the connection is terminated due to inactivity…

I have now tried to login to the service-processor, then “system console”, and then “node run -node node1 -command “ndmpcopy ….” And once again it starts, but is then terminated as my connection as shown here:

Ndmpcopy: http://10.64.9.142"]10.64.9.142: Log: DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]

Ndmpcopy: http://10.64.9.142"]10.64.9.142: Log: RESTORE: Tue May 18 13:08:27 2021: Creating files and directories.

Ndmpcopy: http://10.64.9.142"]10.64.9.142: Log: RESTORE: Tue May 18 13:10:33 2021 : We have processed 298105 files and directories.

Ndmpcopy: http://10.64.9.142"]10.64.9.142: Log: RESTORE: Tue May 18 13:15:33 2021 : We have processed 508611 files and directories.

Ndmpcopy: http://10.64.9.142"]10.64.9.142: Log: RESTORE: Tue May 18 13:20:33 2021 : We have processed 693207 files and directories.

Ndmpcopy: http://10.64.9.142"]10.64.9.142: Log: RESTORE: Tue May 18 13:25:33 2021 : We have processed 860486 files and directories.

Autologout: System Console being disconnected due to inactivity

Any good suggestions are very welcome &#128522;

/Heino