From: Toasters <toasters-bounces@teaparty.net> On Behalf Of Heino Walther
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2021 5:34 AM
To: Brian Parent <bparent@ucsd.edu>; toasters@teaparty.net
Subject: SV:

NetApp Security WARNING: This is an external email. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

As fas as I can remember snapdiff is using NDMP which should be a standard and open protocol, but NetApp, EMC and others have made their specific changes to their version of NDMP which basically make them not interchangeable.
So I guess you will need a NetApp controller in order to restore your data.
There is a slim chance that files can be restored to other NDMP devices (CIFS or NFS), but LUNs are required to be restored to a NDMP.

You can either just keep a NetApp controller ready for this (with no service on it) or maybe just setup an ONTAP Select virtual instance in vSphere which you will be able to restore to, and it's not as expensive and a NetApp Hardware box.

/Heino