Mailing List Archive

interesting 9.3P17 & 9.5P5 bug
Just ran into an interesting bug in 9.3P17 (yes, I'm off support!)
and another 9.5P5 system which I thought I'd share.

Let's grab all the export policies on the system in CSV format to make
it easy to parse:

ntap1::> set -showseparator ","; export-policy show

Vserver Policy Name
--------------- -------------------
foo default

WTF? That's wierd? Let's try something else:

ntap1::> set -showseparator ","; export-policy show -fields vserver
,policyname

vserver,policyname,
Vserver,Policy Name,
foo,default,

Ah! Now we're getting what we want. Stupid annoying bug when you're
trying to write a perl script to pull out data. Can anyone confirm if
this is still there in the latest releases?

Hmm... poking at it some more... I suspect I'm forgetting that you
*must* specify the fields when changing the -showseparator to get
easier to parse output. But I still think this is a surprising
occurance, since it does include the field names, so there's no need
to actually specify them in the output.

Principal of least surprise and all that.

Cheers,
John
Re: interesting 9.3P17 & 9.5P5 bug [ In reply to ]
Just tried in 9.7P11

knoxsahrc09l99::> set -showseparator ","

knoxsahrc09l99::> export-policy show
Vserver Policy Name
--------------- -------------------
esxi_boot default

knoxsahrc09l99::> set -showseparator "--"

knoxsahrc09l99::> export-policy show
Vserver Policy Name
--------------- -------------------
esxi_boot default

knoxsahrc09l99::> export-policy show -fields vserver ,policyname
vserver--policyname--
Vserver--Policy Name--
esxi_boot--default--

knoxsahrc09l99::> set -showseparator " "

knoxsahrc09l99::> export-policy show -fields vserver ,policyname
vserver policyname
--------- ----------
esxi_boot default

--tmac

*Tim McCarthy, **Principal Consultant*

*Proud Member of the #NetAppATeam <https://twitter.com/NetAppATeam>*

*I Blog at TMACsRack <https://tmacsrack.wordpress.com/>*

Re: interesting 9.3P17 & 9.5P5 bug [ In reply to ]
Thanks for checking, I think it's a bug myself... but I can see how it
might be considered a feature of some sort.

tmac> Just tried in 9.7P11

tmac> knoxsahrc09l99::> set -showseparator ","

tmac> knoxsahrc09l99::> export-policy show
tmac> Vserver ? ? ? ? ?Policy Name
tmac> --------------- ?-------------------
tmac> esxi_boot ? ? ? ?default

tmac> knoxsahrc09l99::> set -showseparator "--"

tmac> knoxsahrc09l99::> export-policy show
tmac> Vserver ? ? ? ? ?Policy Name
tmac> --------------- ?-------------------
tmac> esxi_boot ? ? ? ?default

tmac> knoxsahrc09l99::> export-policy show -fields vserver ,policyname
tmac> vserver--policyname--
tmac> Vserver--Policy Name--
tmac> esxi_boot--default--

tmac> knoxsahrc09l99::> set -showseparator " "

tmac> knoxsahrc09l99::> export-policy show -fields vserver ,policyname
tmac> vserver ? policyname
tmac> --------- ----------
tmac> esxi_boot default

tmac> --tmac

tmac> Tim McCarthy, Principal Consultant

tmac> Proud Member of the?#NetAppATeam

tmac> I Blog at?TMACsRack

tmac> On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 11:58 AM John Stoffel <john@stoffel.org> wrote:

tmac> Just ran into an interesting bug in 9.3P17 (yes, I'm off support!)
tmac> and another 9.5P5 system which I thought I'd share.?

tmac> Let's grab all the export policies on the system in CSV format to make
tmac> it easy to parse:?

tmac> ? ? ntap1::> set -showseparator ","; export-policy show

tmac> ? ? Vserver? ? ? ? ? Policy Name
tmac> ? ? ---------------? -------------------
tmac> ? ? foo? ? ? ? ? ? ? default

tmac> WTF?? That's wierd?? ?Let's try something else:

tmac> ? ? ntap1::> set -showseparator ","; export-policy show -fields vserver
tmac> ? ? ,policyname

tmac> ? ? vserver,policyname,
tmac> ? ? Vserver,Policy Name,
tmac> ? ? foo,default,

tmac> Ah!? Now we're getting what we want.? Stupid annoying bug when you're
tmac> trying to write a perl script to pull out data.? Can anyone confirm if
tmac> this is still there in the latest releases?

tmac> Hmm... poking at it some more... I suspect I'm forgetting that you
tmac> *must* specify the fields when changing the -showseparator to get
tmac> easier to parse output.? But I still think this is a surprising
tmac> occurance, since it does include the field names, so there's no need
tmac> to actually specify them in the output.

tmac> Principal of least surprise and all that.

tmac> Cheers,
tmac> John
tmac> Toasters mailing list
tmac> Toasters@teaparty.net