space be merged/freed up/made available? Do I need to do anything to
reclaim it? Or worst case, do I need to provision a new volume and migrate?

Randy

Re: turning on thin provisioning on an existing volume? [ In reply to ]
Randy> A separate question related to our current woes.

Randy> If I turn on thin provisioning on an existing volume will the
Randy> unused space be merged/freed up/made available? Do I need to do
Randy> anything to reclaim it? Or worst case, do I need to provision a
Randy> new volume and migrate?

Please give some details on how the volume is currently setup. I
assume you're really talking about "space reservations" though? Or
are you talking about luns? The more details the better....

Re: turning on thin provisioning on an existing volume? [ In reply to ]
Sorry to be unclear, I'm talking about the "Thin Provisioned" check box
on the General tab of the Edit Volume dialog.

These are FlexVols used for NFS file service.

And the "Tell me more about Thin Provisioning" link on that tab does
lead to NetApp documentation on Space Reservation.

To be clear, we're not planning on oversubscribing, we just want to lose
less unused space to thick provisioned volumes.

It occurs to me I could test this by turning it on for a mostly empty
volume and see if my free space on the aggregate increases.

Re: turning on thin provisioning on an existing volume? [ In reply to ]
Under the cover, Netapp thin provisions anyway. That's why they call it
space reservation, all you're doing is changing the math used to calculate
the display of remaining capacity in the aggregate.