Mailing List Archive

NetApp Filer FAS2520 and LACP --->>> replace network stack!
Long story but the current Dell Storage Switches have a fault, jumbo
frames has failed due to ASIC issues. (confirmed by Dell).

We've new Dell Storage switches to replace the two in the datacentre,
BUT the entire infrastructure runs through these storage switches.

We are trying to decide if we can do this without downtime although
risky.

The new Dell Storage switches have been tested and jumbo frames is
indeed working.

Currently Filer is running 8.2.3.7-mode (yes we know old! Flame
retardant under-crackers on!), both heads are configured LACP into both
switches on the stack

Head A

e0c - switch 1
e0d - switch 2
e0e - switch 1
e0f - switch 1

Head B
e0c - switch 2
e0d - switch 1
e0e - switch 2
e0f - switch 1

Both Heads are in use, with volumes and NFS exports.

Failover has been configured properly e.g. we can lose switch 1 or 2
(not at the same time) and service is still available. (just writing
this I've had a thought!).

We need to replace switch 1 and switch 2 above with switch 1a and switch
2a.....

I did wonder if we removed all cables from switch 1, and put them in
switch 1a, would this work.... but the LAG would disappear from the
Stack.... and when we remove all cables from Switch 2 to Switch 2a,
would break....

Is the simplest option just to shutdown the DC and rip and remove.

Does failing over the heads help me here, e.g. take over Head A, so all
is running on Head B.....

Or maybe it cannot be avoided but to shutdown all the VMware vSphere.

The more I think about this, I still think the safest is to arrange
downtime.

Useful Comments ?

Thanks

Andrew

RE: NetApp Filer FAS2520 and LACP --->>> replace network stack! [ In reply to ]
LACP must be between the same physical devices. You cannot connect half of LACP to one switch (stack) and half of LACP to another switch (stack). Your options are

1. Let Dell replace switches in stack non-disruptively if this is possible. Nothing needs to be done from NetApp side. I am not sure if that is what you mean here, your description of switch replacement is rather vague.

2. Integrate new switch stack into your infrastructure, configure it in advance for NetApp, failover one head, reconnect it to new stack, failback, repeat with another head. This allows you to still quickly jump back if anything goes wrong.

---
Sent from my Fujitsu LIFEBOOK S937
With best regards
Andrei Borzenkov
Senior System Engineer
FJ EMEIA PR FOCP RU SM FSO

FUJITSU
Zemlyanoy val 9, 105064 Moscow, Russia
Tel.: +7 (495) 730 6220 ext. 2247
Mob.: +7 (916) 678 7208
E-mail: Andrei.Borzenkov@ts.fujitsu.com
Web: ts.fujitsu.com
Company details: OOO Fujitsu Technology Solutions / ts.fujitsu.com/imprint
This communication contains information that is confidential, proprietary in nature and/or privileged.? It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) or the person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient(s), please note that any form of dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the original communication. Thank you for your cooperation.
Please be advised that neither Fujitsu, its affiliates, its employees or agents accept liability for any errors, omissions or damages caused by delays of receipt or by any virus infection in this message or its attachments, or which may otherwise arise as a result of this e-mail transmission.

RE: NetApp Filer FAS2520 and LACP --->>> replace network stack! [ In reply to ]
Thanks for your swift reply.

Yes I thought as much.

1. It's not possible and Dell will not do this.

We could do 2. But we do not have any stacking kits....we just have two switches, and we would have to remove stacking kits and cables from existing stack.

I'm going to get back to Dell, and ask for replacement stacking kits as well, this would make an easier option going forward.