Mailing List Archive

Volume move.... Working?
Hello toasters,

I’m attempting to move a 3TB vol to a new aggregate. The destination aggregate has 100TB available space. It’s been preparing to transfer for over 3 hours…. Is this normal?

Cluster::> volume move show -vserver svm1 -volume bigvol

Vserver Name: svm1
Volume Name: bigvol
Actual Completion Time: -
Bytes Remaining: -
Destination Aggregate: cluster_03_sata01_8t
Detailed Status: Volume move job preparing transfer
Error: Creating Snapshot copy with owner tag: Not enough space for Snapshot tags
Estimated Time of Completion: -
Managing Node: node-03
Percentage Complete: -
Move Phase: replicating
Estimated Remaining Duration: -
Replication Throughput: -
Duration of Move: 03:21:53
Source Aggregate: cluster_03_sata02_8t
Start Time of Move: Mon Nov 04 09:10:19 2019
Move State: warning
Is Source Volume Encrypted: false
Encryption Key ID of Source Volume:
Is Destination Volume Encrypted: false
Encryption Key ID of Destination Volume:

Should I be concerned about the "Error: Creating Snapshot copy with owner tag: Not enough space for Snapshot tags” ?

Is there any way to see if this vol move job is hung or actually doing something?

Thanks,
Scott

RE: Volume move.... Working? [ In reply to ]
If it couldn't create a snapshot, it's probably not doing a vol move.

What does "event log show" say? Job show?

Re: Volume move.... Working? [ In reply to ]
This volume has snapshots disabled so I’m not sure what the error is referring to.

So it looks like the job is running… maybe I just need to be patient? I just haven’t done any volume moves (other than when moving to a new filer) so am not sure what to expect in terms of speediness.

Cluster::> job show -id 11160
Owning
Job ID Name Vserver Node State
------ -------------------- ---------- -------------- ----------
11160 Volume Move Cluster node-03 Running

Re: Volume move.... Working? [ In reply to ]
Vol move takes a snapshot when doing the move; that's how the transfer happens via snapmirror.

How full is the volume?
________________________________

Re: Volume move.... Working? [ In reply to ]
The volume is… full

Available Size: 2.74GB
Filesystem Size: 2.63TB
Total User-Visible Size: 2.63TB
Used Size: 2.63TB
Used Percentage: 99%

Space Reserved for Snapshot Copies: 0%
Snapshot Reserve Used: 0%

Re: Volume move.... Working? [ In reply to ]
During the moves we did, we got the same errors and increased volume size which started the move right after space was available for the snapshot. In some cases it was a few mb in some gb.

Aloha

Re: Volume move.... Working? [ In reply to ]
And the underlying aggregate is full too. I guess we relied a bit too much on thin provisioning and now need to get some volumes off the full aggregate.

Cluster::> aggr show-space -aggregate-name cluster_03_sata02_8t

Aggregate : cluster_03_sata02_8t

Feature Used Used%
-------------------------------- ---------- ------
Volume Footprints 25.37TB 100%
Aggregate Metadata 809.8MB 0%
Snapshot Reserve 0B 0%
Total Used 25.37TB 100%

Total Physical Used 24.23TB 96%

Re: Volume move.... Working? [ In reply to ]
Scott> And the underlying aggregate is full too. I guess we relied a
Scott> bit too much on thin provisioning and now need to get some
Scott> volumes off the full aggregate.

This is what scares me about Thin provisioning, because when it does
go south, you're in a world of hurt until you can reduce the load
somehow.

Do you have any snapshots on the other volumes you can delete to make
space? Or maybe you have to bite the bullet and add more disks to
that Aggregate?

Scott> Cluster::> aggr show-space -aggregate-name cluster_03_sata02_8t

Scott> Aggregate : cluster_03_sata02_8t

Scott> Feature Used Used%
Scott> -------------------------------- ---------- ------
Scott> Volume Footprints 25.37TB 100%
Scott> Aggregate Metadata 809.8MB 0%
Scott> Snapshot Reserve 0B 0%
Scott> Total Used 25.37TB 100%

Scott> Total Physical Used 24.23TB 96%

Scott> On Nov 4, 2019, at 12:58 PM, Parisi, Justin <Justin.Parisi@netapp.com> wrote:

Scott> Vol move takes a snapshot when doing the move; that's how the transfer happens via snapmirror.

Scott> How full is the volume?
Scott> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scott> From: Scott Classen <sclassen@lbl.gov>
Scott> Sent: Monday, November 4, 2019 3:55 PM
Scott> To: Parisi, Justin <Justin.Parisi@netapp.com>
Scott> Cc: Toasters <toasters@teaparty.net>
Scott> Subject: Re: Volume move.... Working?

Scott> NetApp Security WARNING: This is an external email. Do not click links or open attachments
Scott> unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Scott> This volume has snapshots disabled so I’m not sure what the error is referring to.

Scott> So it looks like the job is running… maybe I just need to be patient? I just haven’t done any
Scott> volume moves (other than when moving to a new filer) so am not sure what to expect in terms of
Scott> speediness.

Scott> Cluster::> job show -id 11160
Scott> Owning
Scott> Job ID Name Vserver Node State
Scott> ------ -------------------- ---------- -------------- ----------
Scott> 11160 Volume Move Cluster node-03 Running
Scott> Description: Move “bigvol" in Vserver “svm1" to aggregate “cluster_03_sata01_8t"

Scott> S

>> On Nov 4, 2019, at 12:45 PM, Parisi, Justin <Justin.Parisi@netapp.com> wrote:
>>
>> If it couldn't create a snapshot, it's probably not doing a vol move.
>>
>> What does "event log show" say? Job show?

Scott> available space. It’s been preparing to transfer for over 3 hours…. Is this normal?

>> Cluster::> volume move show -vserver svm1 -volume bigvol
>>
>> Vserver Name: svm1
>> Volume Name: bigvol
>> Actual Completion Time: -
>> Bytes Remaining: -
>> Destination Aggregate: cluster_03_sata01_8t
>> Detailed Status: Volume move job preparing transfer
>> Error: Creating Snapshot copy with owner tag: Not enough space for Snapshot tags
>> Estimated Time of Completion: -
>> Managing Node: node-03
>> Percentage Complete: -
>> Move Phase: replicating
>> Estimated Remaining Duration: -
>> Replication Throughput: -
>> Duration of Move: 03:21:53
>> Source Aggregate: cluster_03_sata02_8t
>> Start Time of Move: Mon Nov 04 09:10:19 2019
>> Move State: warning
>> Is Source Volume Encrypted: false
>> Encryption Key ID of Source Volume:
>> Is Destination Volume Encrypted: false Encryption Key ID of Destination Volume:
>>

>> Should I be concerned about the "Error: Creating Snapshot copy with owner tag: Not enough
Scott> space for Snapshot tags” ?

Re: Volume move.... Working? [ In reply to ]
Mate you have a ~26TB aggregate that has ~1.8TB spare. Just increase the size of the volume by say 200g and immediately start the volume move. The sooner you do this the better off you will be, even though you are close to the limits already you still have some room to move. Leave it any longer and all that space may get eaten up.

Go go go do it now.

Regards,

Andrew

?On 5/11/19, 8:53 am, "toasters-bounces@teaparty.net on behalf of John Stoffel" <toasters-bounces@teaparty.net on behalf of john@stoffel.org> wrote:

[...]

[Xpanse logo]<http://www.xpanse.com.au/> Andrew Werchowiecki
Technical Team Lead
Andrew.Werchowiecki@xpanse.com.au<mailto:Andrew.Werchowiecki@xpanse.com.au>
www.xpanse.com.au<http://www.xpanse.com.au>
Mobile: +61 422 702 339
Office: +61 8 9322 6767
Fax: +61 8 9322 6077
85 Havelock St
West Perth
WA 6005
Australia
[Find out more about the NetApp AFF C190]<https://www.netapp.com/us/media/ds-3989.pdf>

Re: Volume move.... Working? [ In reply to ]
Yep. I was able to free up some space on a non-thin provisioned volume, and start the vol move.
All good now and things are chugging along at 300MB/s
Thanks for the hand holding everyone.
Scott

Re: Volume move.... Working? [ In reply to ]
Scott> Yep. I was able to free up some space on a non-thin provisioned
Scott> volume, and start the vol move. All good now and things are
Scott> chugging along at 300MB/s Thanks for the hand holding everyone.

Glad to help, just paying forward all the help I've gotten here over
the years...

Scott> On Nov 4, 2019, at 4:56 PM, Andrew Werchowiecki <Andrew.Werchowiecki@xpanse.com.au> wrote:

Scott> Mate you have a ~26TB aggregate that has ~1.8TB spare. Just increase the size of the volume by
Scott> say 200g and immediately start the volume move. The sooner you do this the better off you will
Scott> be, even though you are close to the limits already you still have some room to move. Leave it
Scott> any longer and all that space may get eaten up.

Scott> Go go go do it now.

Scott> Regards,

Scott> Andrew

Scott> On 5/11/19, 8:53 am, "toasters-bounces@teaparty.net on behalf of John Stoffel" <
Scott> toasters-bounces@teaparty.net on behalf of john@stoffel.org> wrote:

Scott> And the underlying aggregate is full too. I guess we relied a
Scott> bit too much on thin provisioning and now need to get some
Scott> volumes off the full aggregate.

Scott> This is what scares me about Thin provisioning, because when it does
Scott> go south, you're in a world of hurt until you can reduce the load
Scott> somehow.

Scott> Do you have any snapshots on the other volumes you can delete to make
Scott> space? Or maybe you have to bite the bullet and add more disks to
Scott> that Aggregate?

Scott> Cluster::> aggr show-space -aggregate-name cluster_03_sata02_8t

Scott> Aggregate : cluster_03_sata02_8t

Scott> Feature Used Used%
Scott> -------------------------------- ---------- ------
Scott> Volume Footprints 25.37TB 100%
Scott> Aggregate Metadata 809.8MB 0%
Scott> Snapshot Reserve 0B 0%
Scott> Total Used 25.37TB 100%

Scott> Total Physical Used 24.23TB 96%

Scott>

Scott> Andrew Werchowiecki Mobile: +61 422 702 339 85 Havelock St
Scott> <imageac654c.PNG> Technical Team Lead Office: +61 8 9322 6767 West Perth
Scott> Andrew.Werchowiecki@xpanse.com.au Fax: +61 8 9322 6077 WA 6005
Scott> www.xpanse.com.au Australia
Scott> <image151e83.JPG>

Scott> On Nov 4, 2019, at 12:58 PM, Parisi, Justin <Justin.Parisi@netapp.com> wrote:

Scott> Vol move takes a snapshot when doing the move; that's how the transfer happens
Scott> via snapmirror.

Scott> How full is the volume?
Scott>
Scott> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scott> From: Scott Classen <sclassen@lbl.gov>
Scott> Sent: Monday, November 4, 2019 3:55 PM
Scott> To: Parisi, Justin <Justin.Parisi@netapp.com>
Scott> Cc: Toasters <toasters@teaparty.net>
Scott> Subject: Re: Volume move.... Working?

Scott> NetApp Security WARNING: This is an external email. Do not click links or open
Scott> attachments
Scott> unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Scott> This volume has snapshots disabled so I’m not sure what the error is referring
Scott> to.

Scott> So it looks like the job is running… maybe I just need to be patient? I just
Scott> haven’t done any
Scott> volume moves (other than when moving to a new filer) so am not sure what to
Scott> expect in terms of
Scott> speediness.

Scott> Cluster::> job show -id 11160
Scott> Owning
Scott> Job ID Name Vserver Node State
Scott> ------ -------------------- ---------- -------------- ----------
Scott> 11160 Volume Move Cluster node-03 Running
Scott> Description: Move “bigvol" in Vserver “svm1" to aggregate
Scott> “cluster_03_sata01_8t"

Scott> S

>>> On Nov 4, 2019, at 12:45 PM, Parisi, Justin <Justin.Parisi@netapp.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> If it couldn't create a snapshot, it's probably not doing a vol move.
>>>
>>> What does "event log show" say? Job show?

Scott> normal?

>>> Cluster::> volume move show -vserver svm1 -volume bigvol
>>>
>>> Vserver Name: svm1
>>> Volume Name: bigvol
>>> Actual Completion Time: -
>>> Bytes Remaining: -
>>> Destination Aggregate: cluster_03_sata01_8t
>>> Detailed Status: Volume move job preparing transfer
>>> Error: Creating Snapshot copy with owner tag: Not enough space for Snapshot tags
>>> Estimated Time of Completion: -
>>> Managing Node: node-03
>>> Percentage Complete: -
>>> Move Phase: replicating
>>> Estimated Remaining Duration: -
>>> Replication Throughput: -
>>> Duration of Move: 03:21:53
>>> Source Aggregate: cluster_03_sata02_8t
>>> Start Time of Move: Mon Nov 04 09:10:19 2019
>>> Move State: warning
>>> Is Source Volume Encrypted: false
>>> Encryption Key ID of Source Volume:
>>> Is Destination Volume Encrypted: false Encryption Key ID of Destination Volume:
>>>

>>> Should I be concerned about the "Error: Creating Snapshot copy with owner tag: Not
Scott> enough
Scott> space for Snapshot tags” ?

>>> Is there any way to see if this vol move job is hung or actually doing something?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Scott

Scott> Toasters mailing list
Scott> Toasters@teaparty.net