Mailing List Archive

DS2246 & Flash Pool Configuration
I have a FAS6290 cluster and we are upgrading the DS4243 to DS2246 (600 GB SAS & 200 GB SSD). We have six shelves in a loop 5 – trays of SAS and 1 – tray of SSD. I am wondering should I create a dedicated Flash Pool for each aggr or should I add the SSDs as Cache to each aggr?

Chris
Re: DS2246 & Flash Pool Configuration [ In reply to ]
If possible, place the SSD on a separate stack.
(loops were FC, SAS is Stack)

Create a "storage pool" which will effectively take all the SSDs and create
4 partition slices (one slice across all SSDs)
You can then assign each slice (using RAID-4 instead of DP saving parity
overhead and giving more cache) to an AGGR.

If you need to attach to more than 4 aggrs, then create two storage pools.
One with 6 SSDs and one with 5 SSDs.
That will give you eight slices to divide up how you see fit. You can add
more than one slice to an AGGR.

Once you add a storage pool to an AGGR (which makes it a FlashPool) the
only way to remove the SSDs from the AGGR is to destroy the AGGR.
Be sure of what you do. Fast-Zero does not hit ONTAP until 9.4 and the 6290
can run at most, I believe 9.1Pxx

--tmac

*Tim McCarthy, **Principal Consultant*

*Proud Member of the #NetAppATeam <https://twitter.com/NetAppATeam>*