Mailing List Archive

server-ca certs expiring
hi

i have several systems with ontap 9.3P10 and have messages like:
6/12/2019 00:00:01 L1Q-A1 ERROR
mgmtgwd.certificate.expiring: A digital certificate with Fully Qualified
Domain Name (FQDN) Class2PrimaryCA, Serial Number 85BD4BF3D8DAE369F694D75FC3A54423, Certificate Authority 'Class 2 Primary CA' and type server-ca for Vserver L1Q will expire in the next 25 day(s).

what should i do here? my netapp partner told me to renew them via
deleteing them and creating new certs.

i should create a new server-ca, which is not even an option in ontap
(even with advanced privileges) ?
i think this must be wrong.

i hope others have the same problem and a solution.

yours
josef
Re: server-ca certs expiring [ In reply to ]
I was hoping to see this email signed Charles Heese or something. That
would have made my morning.

Re: server-ca certs expiring [ In reply to ]
Pretty sure we do something like this:

1. security ssl show
2. security certificate show -vserver *vserver_name* -common-name
*common_name* -instance
3. security certificate delete -vserver *vserver_name* -common-name
*common_name* -ca *common_name* -type server -serial *serial_number*
4. security certificate create -vserver *vserver_name* -type server
-size 2048 -expire-days (days here) -common-name *common_name*
-hash-function
SHA256 -country US -protocol SSL
5. security ssl show
6. security certificate show -vserver *vserver_name* -common-name
*common_name* -instance
7. ssl modify -vserver *vserver_name* -server-enabled true
-client-enabled false -common-name *common_name* -ca *common_name*
-serial *serial_number*
8.

security certificate show
9.

security ssl show

Re: server-ca certs expiring [ In reply to ]
Thanks for answering
your steps would work for self signed certificates, but whose expiring
in my case are the ca's from other organisations, installed from netapp.

currently i have 3 of the expiring in the near future:
L1Q::> security certificate show -type server-ca -expiration <"Thu Jul 11 01:59:00 2019"
Vserver Serial Number Common Name Type
---------- --------------- -------------------------------------- ------------
L1Q 85BD4BF3D8DAE369F694D75FC3A54423
Class2PrimaryCA server-ca
Certificate Authority: Class 2 Primary CA
Expiration Date: Sun Jul 07 01:59:59 2019

L1Q 26 DeutscheTelekomRootCA2 server-ca
Certificate Authority: Deutsche Telekom Root CA 2
Expiration Date: Wed Jul 10 01:59:00 2019

L1Q 44BE0C8B500024B411D3362AFE650AFD
UTN-USERFirst-Hardware server-ca
Certificate Authority: UTN-USERFirst-Hardware
Expiration Date: Tue Jul 09 20:19:22 2019

3 entries were displayed.

as far as i see those certs are used when my netapp tries to connect
itself to ssl-enabled services with certs signed from that CAs. may i
should only delete them to get rid of that messages in my eventlog.

yours
josef (no charles heese here, sorry :))

Re: server-ca certs expiring [ In reply to ]
Just for kicks, I looked at ONTAP 9.5 & 9.6.
The same certs exist there also!

Maybe open a case with netapp to update or remove the certs in ONTAP itself?

--tmac

*Tim McCarthy, **Principal Consultant*

*Proud Member of the #NetAppATeam <https://twitter.com/NetAppATeam>*

Re: server-ca certs expiring [ In reply to ]
Does this not answer your question?

security certificate install Data ONTAP 9.1 security certificate
install

NAME
security certificate install -- Install a Digital Certificate

AVAILABILITY
This command is available to cluster and Vserver administrators at the
admin privilege level.

DESCRIPTION
The security certificate install command installs digital security
certificates signed by a certificate authority (CA) and the public key
certificate of the root CA. Digital security certifi-
cates also include the intermediate certificates to construct the
chain for server certificates (the server type), client-side root CA
certificates (the client-ca type), or server-side root CA
certificates (the server-ca type). with FIPS enabled, the following
restrictions apply to the certificate getting installed.
server/client/server-ca/client-ca: Key size >= 2048,server/client:
Hash function (No MD-5, No SHA-1),server-ca/client-ca: (Intermediate
CA), Hash Function (No MD-5, No SHA-1), server-ca/client-ca: (Root CA),
Hash Function (No MD-5)

Re: server-ca certs expiring [ In reply to ]
you sir are my hero!
"install" instead of "create" should be the correct way to handle that
situation. now i only need to get the currently valid cert-package
from netapp.
thanks
josef

AW: server-ca certs expiring [ In reply to ]
Hey Josef,

not sure if there's a cert package you can install using this command, but the basic security certificate install works with standard PEM encoded data, f.ex. here's the command I used to install the new DigiCert CA on our filers with older Ontap releases where DigiCert was not included in Ontap already.

Please enter Certificate: Press <Enter> when done
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----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-----END CERTIFICATE-----

You should keep a copy of the CA-signed digital certificate for future reference.

As always, running on a recent Ontap version usually fixes these kind of problems, since the root certificates also get updated along with newer Ontap releases.

Best,

Alexander Griesser
Head of Systems Operations

ANEXIA Internetdienstleistungs GmbH

E-Mail: AGriesser@anexia-it.com
Web: http://www.anexia-it.com

Anschrift Hauptsitz Klagenfurt: Feldkirchnerstraße 140, 9020 Klagenfurt
Geschäftsführer: Alexander Windbichler