Mailing List Archive

DP to XDP conversion problems
Hi people,

We are heavy users of snapmirror DR.

We started to convert those relations to XDP from DP.

We used:
- break snapmirror
- snapmirror release on source
- snapmirror delete on target
- wait (no idea what goes on behind the scenes here)
- snapmirror create -destination-path <path> -type XDP -policy MirrorAllSnapshots -identity-preserve true
- source-vserver <name> -source-cluster <name>
- snapmirror resync -destination-path <path>

This works a treat unless you have unprotected volumes.

If there are source volumes flagged unprotected and therefore not on
the destination vserver you appear to be doomed.
We have found no way to ever resynmc the source to destination
vservers.

What you up wirth is something like:

Cluster Source Destination State Status Policy Progress Size Lag
SRC svm-esx: svm-esx-dr: Broken-off Idle MirrorAllSnapshots - 39GB -
SRC svm-esx:esx_03 svm-esx-dr:esx_slinux_03 Broken-off Idle MirrorAllSnapshots - - -
SRC svm-esx:esx_04 svm-esx-dr:esx_slinux_04 Broken-off Idle MirrorAllSnapshots - - -
SRC svm-esx:esx_sscratch_00 svm-esx-dr:esx_sscratch_00 Uninitialized Idle MirrorAllSnapshots - - -
SRC svm-esx:esx_sscratch_01 svm-esx-dr:esx_sscratch_01 Uninitialized Idle MirrorAllSnapshots - - -
SRC svm-esx:esx_10 svm-esx-dr:esx_10 Broken-off Idle MirrorAllSnapshots - - -
SRC svm-esx:esx_10 svm-esx-dr:esx_11 Broken-off Idle MirrorAllSnapshots - - -
SRC svm-esx:esx_10 svm-esx-dr:esx_12 Broken-off Idle MirrorAllSnapshots - - -

The above is hand edited so ignore any errors. You get the idea.

No amount of stuffing around (and there has been a lot)
has ever go this relationshp to work properly again.

Anyine else seen this and/or have a solution.

We have guessed that the unprotected flag is no longer supported which is annoying in itself.

Regards,
pdg

Peter Gray Ph (direct): +61 2 4221 3770
Information Management & Technology Services Ph (switch): +61 2 4221 3555
University of Wollongong Fax: +61 2 4229 1958
Wollongong NSW 2522 Email: pdg@uow.edu.au
Australia URL: http://pdg.uow.edu.au

Re: DP to XDP conversion problems [ In reply to ]
I think you may have been missing the quiesce to start with....

snapmirror quiesce -source-path svm1:volA -destination-path
svm_backup:volA_dst
snapmirror break -source-path svm1:volA -destination-path
svm_backup:volA_dst
volume snapshot autodelete modify -vserver svm_backup -volume volA_dst
-enabled false
snapmirror delete -source-path svm1:volA -destination-path
svm_backup:volA_dst
snapmirror create -source-path svm1:volA -destination-path
svm_backup:volA_dst -type XDP -schedule my_daily -policy MirrorAllSnapshots
snapmirror resync -source-path svm1:volA -destination-path
svm_backup:volA_dst

-tmac

*Tim McCarthy, **Principal Consultant*

*Proud Member of the #NetAppATeam <https://twitter.com/NetAppATeam>*

*I Blog at TMACsRack <https://tmacsrack.wordpress.com/>*

Re: DP to XDP conversion problems [ In reply to ]
I think your problem might be the snamirror release on the source.
That removes the snapmirror baseline snapshot on the source, so if
there are no other snapshots in common, resync is impossible.

The procedure tmac outlined has worked for us across several hundred
DP to XDP conversions.

John