Mailing List Archive

Re: 7m -> cDOT question
No. The only documented and supported method requires second controller with shelf for root aggregate, at least temporary. I suppose, if you are brave enough and dig into diagnostic commands you may find a way to manually replicate what 7MTT does. At least, user successfully relocated shelves from one node to another in the same cluster - which officially is not possible. But here it is rather more involved - you need to manually create all database entries describing your aggregates and volumes.

?????????? ? iPhone

Re: 7m -> cDOT question [ In reply to ]
Andrei
Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured but thought I would ask anyway.

My backup plan is to find an extended downtime window, Snapmirror the data from the 7-mode controller to a cDOT filer in a data center, wipe the 7-mode controller, install cDOT, then Snapmirror the data back from the data center to the newly installed cDOT system. I don't think I'd encounter any problems there with Snapmirror versioning/compatibility, right? Snapmirror source would initially be 7-mode 8.2 going to cDOT 9.1, then cDOT 9.1 to cDOT 9.1.

Re: 7m -> cDOT question [ In reply to ]
Correct:
TDP -> 7-Mode (any supported version) to ONTAP 9 (Transition Data
Protection, One-way mirror)
XDP -> ONTAP 9 to ONTAP 9 (eXtended Data Protection Mirror, version
independent! with caveats)

--tmac

*Tim McCarthy, **Principal Consultant*

*Proud Member of the #NetAppATeam <https://twitter.com/NetAppATeam>*

*I Blog at TMACsRack <https://tmacsrack.wordpress.com/>*

Re: 7m -> cDOT question [ In reply to ]
It might be more affordable than you think to pay netapp ps to do this for
you. They would bring in swing gear.

Re: 7m -> cDOT question [ In reply to ]
We'll speak with our VAR to explore this option too. Thanks.

Proud Member of the #NetAppATeam<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/yP_lCzp4xpSRq8jpf4T8I4?domain=twitter.com>

I Blog at TMACsRack<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/bPvCCADX9DS9OrD3I80TmQ?domain=tmacsrack.wordpress.com>