Has anyone else seen this behaviour? We?re assuming that the CIFS server is stopping the copy because it can?t resolve the SID. Is there any way to control that behaviour and just wrtie the DACL with the unresolved SID?

Thanks
Steve
Re: Copying NTFS Data with Orphaned SIDs [ In reply to ]
Is the sid actually unresolvable?

Re: Copying NTFS Data with Orphaned SIDs [ In reply to ]
Yes, these are SIDs from deleted users. Usually when some folder has been setup so that Creator/Owner is assigned rights. When the user that created the file/folder leaves, and their account is deleted, the ACE with the unresolved SID remains. It seems that when Robocopy tries to copy the DACL for the file/folder, the filer doesn?t accept it because the SID cannot be resolved. (Speculation based on what we are observing.)

We?re running a separate project to clean these orphaned SIDs up but would like to get the data migrated in the interim ?as-is? if possible.

Re: Copying NTFS Data with Orphaned SIDs [ In reply to ]
You may have to reset the security.. Are you using /copyall option? If not, that may work. I usually used that in the past as it copies the security, as well as the owner of the file.

From: <toasters-bounces@teaparty.net> on behalf of Stephen Stocke <scstocke@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 9:29 AM
To: Basil <basilberntsen@gmail.com>
Cc: "toasters@teaparty.net" <toasters@teaparty.net>