Senior Infrastructure Engineer
Hachette Book Group, Inc.
1.617.263.1948 / ian.ehrenwald@hbgusa.com

Re: volume move and SFO [ In reply to ]
Ian,

Just a suggestion (its been a while but I think this is how I removed the
throttle in 9.1):
volume move governor*> ?
modify *Modify the governor configuration
show *Display the governor configuration
https://community.netapp.com/t5/Data-ONTAP-Discussions/How-many-vol-move-operations-can-be-active-at-same-time/td-p/129331

You should be able to move that data in a pretty rapid period of time. I've
noticed when upgrading to 9.1 the throttle is definitely more visible --
even when removing the throttle there isn't a noticeable impact.

I would suggest against keeping the vol move running during the takeover,
if its even possible.

Re: volume move and SFO [ In reply to ]
Hi Douglas
Thanks for writing. If I am understanding that governor correctly, that is for the number of concurrent moves? In this specific instance, I'm moving one volume of size 30+ TB, so I don't think it is entirely applicable for the situation. Definitely correct me if I'm wrong, though.

That being said, when the source aggregate is not under high load, I am able to get 400MB/s or higher in replication throughput which is pretty cool.

There IS a Snapmirror speed throttle that I would bump against occasionally, and that was addressed with a "setflag repl_throttle_enable 0" locally on each node while in diag mode. That really did make a difference in Snapmirror speed, enough of a difference that Jeffrey Steiner @ NetApp did some poking around internally to see why it's enabled in the first place. I don't recall the outcome of that poking.

Either way, I guess we'll find out what happens when there's a SFO while a volume move is happening?

https://community.netapp.com/t5/Data-ONTAP-Discussions/How-many-vol-move-operations-can-be-active-at-same-time/td-p/129331<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/_22xC1wpBwSpRxmOSLY-3g?domain=community.netapp.com>