Mailing List Archive

Retrieving lock status in cDOT (CIFS/NFSv4)
We implemented simple file lock monitoring on our 7mode filers: A script
runs each 5 minutes retrieving output from lock status -n command from
all vfilers. For example:

# ssh [...] vfiler run sngnas100703 lock status -n
CIFS: 0 share locks, 0 byte locks
[...]
NFSV4: 29 share locks, 5 byte locks
[...]
Total Locks: 29 share locks, 5 byte locks
[...]

We would like to implement equivalent solution for cDOT but there is no
command returning lock status summary (all we need is to count share and
byte locks per protocol: CIFS and NFSv4). cDOT documentation and NetApp
support suggest using command:

vserver locks show

But:

Command warns that it may affect system performance and we will query
clusters each couple of minutes.
The script will have to retrieve huge output, parse it and calculate
required totals.

What is the best and non-intrusive way to retrieve locks status? (other
commands? API?)

Best regards,

Jacek Nogala
Re: Retrieving lock status in cDOT (CIFS/NFSv4) [ In reply to ]
What are you doing with the lock statuses? What are you ultimately trying
to do?

Re: Retrieving lock status in cDOT (CIFS/NFSv4) [ In reply to ]
On 2018-08-05 23:33, Basil wrote:
> What are you doing with the lock statuses? What are you ultimately
> trying to do?

In a nutshell: The script queries filers frequently (~a couple of times
per minute) and delivers metrics to time series DB. Data from DB are
visualized in Grafana as a dashboard. Our storage ops teams use this
tool for pro-active monitoring of locks on 7-mode filers to avoid
outages. (We experienced such outages thus now deploying this tool in
all regions.)

Our goal is to implement this tool for cDOT systems. It is no-brainer to
create a script running vserver locks show, parse output and calculate
required totals. But we are concerned about potential performance impact
on monitored systems. 7-mode command delivers ready-to-use numbers and
the impact of the tool seems to be negligible.

Best regards,

Jacek