Mailing List Archive

global snapmirror throttle wastes another 2 days
Some time back I wasted 5 days trying to find out why my snapmirrors
were not keeping up. Netapp eventually very kindly told me about the
global snapmirror throttle which I immediately disabled on all nodes
and snapmirror speeds went up by a factor of 10.

Life was sweet.

Till this week.

Again my snapmirrors could not keep up. But I knew it could not
be the global snapmirror throttle because I had disabled that before.

It had to be network right? We had made some network changes.

After 2 days I decided the symptoms were suffiently similar for me
to revisit the global snapmirror throttle, and yes, sure enough
the settings had reverted to enabled.

I suspect this is because we power cycled our netapp heads
as part of a DR exercise. It looks like when the head comes up
the setting to disable the global snapmirror throttle is lost.

Great stuff.

So, its up to a total of 7 days lost because of the global
snapmirror throttle which as I said before seems to exist
solely for the purpose of making sure things do not work properly.

Sorry, I had to vent.

Regards,
pdg

Re: global snapmirror throttle wastes another 2 days [ In reply to ]
The original thread had the subject 'Super Secret Flags' and was active in
late Jan / early Feb 2017. It was an interesting thread and worth
reading. Below is the original message and one of the early replies from
Jeffrey Steiner @ Netapp which is probably an appropriate place to start if
you're considering any tuning...

<quote>

>> I scanned the documentation on this flag, and it's not a universally
applicable setting. It should only be set in conjunction with a support
case to address an identified issue. In general, it should only be set as a
temporary measure, but there are exceptions to that general rule.

>> On the whole, that issue appears to be related to transfer latency. That
could be the latency of a slow network or the latency resulting from a
network with a problem, such as packet loss. I'd imagine it could be also
caused by latency imposed by an overloaded destination SATA aggregate as
well, plus it's not out of the question that something newer like 40Gb
Ethernet might create some kind of odd issue that warrants setting this
flag.

>> In normal practice, you shouldn't need to touch this parameter. I've
been around a long time, and I'd never heard of it before now, and I've
never used it with any of my lab setups, and I rely on SnapMirror heavily.

>> The important thing is not to use this option unless directed by the
support center. There's a risk of masking the underlying problem, or
creating new problems.

>> You might consider continuing to follow up on the case to ensure that
either (a) you're in an odd situation where this parameter really is
warranted or (b) there is some kind of underlying problem that needs
fixing. If you're otherwise happy with the way the system is performing and
the parameter change worked, I'd probably call it good...

On Behalf Of Peter D. Gray
>> Sent: Monday, January 30, 2017 12:30 AM
>> To: toasters@teaparty.net
>> Subject: super secret flags
>>
>> Hi people
>>
>> Just out of idle curiosity, am I the only netapp admin who does not know
about the super secret flags to allow snapmirror to actually work at
reasonable speed?

>> We were running 8.3.2 cluster mode, and spent weeks looking into why our
snapmirrors to our remote site ran so slowly. We were often 2 days behind
over 40G networks. Obviously, we focussed on network issues. And we wasted
a lot of time. We could make no sense of the problem at all since sometimes
it appears to work ok, the later the transfers slowed to a crawl.

>> We eventually opened a case and it did not take to long for a reply
which basically said "why don't you just disable the global snapmirror
throttle."
>> I had already looked into such a beast, but found nothing.
>>
>> As you may or may not know, it turns out to be a per node setting. The
name of the flag is repl_throttle_enable. Of course, you can only see such
flags or change them on the node, in privileged mode.

>> Setting the flag to 0 immediately (and I do mean immediately) allowed
our snapmirrors to run at the speed you might expect over 40G. Instead of
taking 2 days, snapmirror updates now took 2 hours.

>> We have since upgraded to 9.1. The flags reverted to on, but again can
be set to off. I think there is a documented global snapmirror throttle
option in 9.1, but I have not looked into that yet.

>> Are we the only site in the world to have seen this issue?
>> We use snapmirror DR for all our mirrors which may be a factor.
>>
>> As I said, just idle curiousity and maybe helping someone avoid the time
wasting we had.

>> Regards,
>> pdg
>>
>> Peter Gray Ph (direct): +61 2 4221 3770
>> Information Management & Technology Services Ph (switch): +61 2 4221 3555
>> University of Wollongong Fax: +61 2 4229 1958
>> Wollongong NSW 2522 Email: pdg@uow.edu.au
>> Australia URL: http://pdg.uow.edu.au

</quote>

RE: global snapmirror throttle wastes another 2 days [ In reply to ]
I did some editing of the KB articles to hopefully make the parameter easier to find, but it will depend on the search query. If I type "snapmirror slow" the 3rd hit is a "Top 10 SnapMirror issues and solutions". This throttling isn't mentioned, unfortunately. I'll follow up on that again.

I still find it really strange that so many customers have run into a problem that required changing this value, but the majority don't. If it was truly broken I would expect nonstop support calls about snapmirror lag time. I know quite a few customers with extremely heavy SnapMirror traffic, such as high-IO databases with mirrors being updated hourly. They're not seeing problems.

I got a vibe that deduplication/compression might be a factor, but that's unscientific. If anyone has a support case open involving this parameter, send me the number so I can try to get someone to figure out what's different.

RE: global snapmirror throttle wastes another 2 days [ In reply to ]
Interesting, this seems to be a formally documented setting in ONTAP 9. There's a section called "Using SnapMirror global throttling"

The flags like repl_throttle_enable are never persistent across reboots as far as I know. Options would be, but not flags. I'm double checking with engineering that this flag functions exactly the same as options -option-name replication.throttle.enable. If there's anything additional to say, I'll report back.

RE: global snapmirror throttle wastes another 2 days [ In reply to ]
No, they are *not* the same thing, despite the nearly identical names.

Peter - can you email me the case number privately? I'd like to use that to get a better fix for this.