From: toasters-bounces@teaparty.net [mailto:toasters-bounces@teaparty.net] On Behalf Of Rue, Randy
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2016 11:14 AM
To: toasters@teaparty.net
Subject: RE: snapmirror source and target aggregate usage don't match?

Thank you for a NA docs pointer from a list member and the opportunity for a little RTFM before I reply to the list!

Looks like my colleague's recollection of earlier versions still applies to 8.3. Essentially, we've been snapmirroring un-deduped data.

My next question is, is it realistic to run dedupes hourly on 30-40 volumes totalling ~100TB? Because that's a much easier proposition than amending our SLAs to lengthen our snapshot cycles.

And to get both on the same cycle, is it possible to make snapshots dependent on dedupe finishing, or do we just assume dedupe will complete, and if so, if it doesn't, what are the consequences? For example, if a dedupe that usually finishes at 5 minutes after the hour isn't done, and snapmirror runs then, will snapmirror then be syncing a full hour of full-sized changes?

Last question for now: assuming both are on the same schedule, how do I get the current lost space back? Will it be reclaimed when the schedules are synced and the snapshots have rolled off? Or do I need to destroy and recreate the target volumes?

Hope to hear from you, especially from any other shop running both snapmirror and dedupe.

Randy

(and if a solution requires DOT9 we do have an upgrade on our roadmap)

Replying to just toy for now. Hopefully this will help and you can report back
Look at this...
https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2348026

Page 142.

I think you may need to work out some scheduling and that may help. Going to look a bit more...i have another idea, but that may only be ONTAP 9 related.