nfs.hide_snapshot on

--
Jeremy Webber
Senior Systems Engineer
Animal Logic Pty Ltd
Tel: +61 2 8310 3577
Main: +61 2 9383 4800
Fax: +61 2 9383 4801
Re: Hide snapshots from NFS clients in 8.3.1 [ In reply to ]
In 7-mode you could hide the snap dir on each volume by changing the
option nosnapdir to on

In C-mode the just do a vol modify <vol_name> -snapdir-access false to hide
the snapshot from the system that has access to it

Re: Hide snapshots from NFS clients in 8.3.1 [ In reply to ]
Hi and thanks for answering.

We have tried the volume setting. The problem with that is that it makes the snapshots completely inaccessible to the NFSv3 client. If the snapshots are inaccessible then you cannot access snapshot backup copies from the client, and we want to do that.

I want the snapshots to be accessible but not visible, as we have in 7-mode.

Thanks,
Jeremy

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 9:25 PM, Jeremy Webber <Jeremy.Webber@al.com.au<mailto:Jeremy.Webber@al.com.au>> wrote:
In 7-mode we are able to make snapshots accessible, but invisible to NFSv3 clients.

In this mode there is a .snapshot directory, but if you ‘ls’ that directory it appears empty. However, if you ls .snapshot/hourly.0 say then you can see that the snapshot is in fact there.

We now have an 8.3.1 CDOT filer and have not been able to work out how to reproduce the behaviour. The snapshots are either accessible and visible (which causes problems for programs which walk the tree) or not accessible at all.

NetApp support have not been able to help so far. Can anybody on this list?

Thanks,
Jeremy

p.s. the relevant 7-mode option is:

nfs.hide_snapshot on

--
Jeremy Webber
Senior Systems Engineer
Animal Logic Pty Ltd
Tel: +61 2 8310 3577<tel:%2B61%202%208310%203577>
Main: +61 2 9383 4800<tel:%2B61%202%209383%204800>
Fax: +61 2 9383 4801<tel:%2B61%202%209383%204801>

Jeremy Webber
Senior Systems Engineer
Animal Logic Pty Ltd
Tel: +61 2 8310 3577
Main: +61 2 9383 4800
Fax: +61 2 9383 4801
RE: Hide snapshots from NFS clients in 8.3.1 [ In reply to ]
It does not look like similar functionality exists (documented) for cDOT. For CIFS you can control visibility on share level, but for NFS it is all or nothing.

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=8010364&locale=en_US&access=s

---
With best regards

Andrei Borzenkov
Senior system engineer
FTS WEMEAI RUC RU SC TMS FOS
[cid:image001.gif@01CBF835.B3FEDA90]
FUJITSU
Zemlyanoy Val Street, 9, 105 064 Moscow, Russian Federation
Tel.: +7 495 730 62 20 ( reception)
Mob.: +7 916 678 7208
Fax: +7 495 730 62 14
E-mail: Andrei.Borzenkov@ts.fujitsu.com<mailto:Andrei.Borzenkov@ts.fujitsu.com>
Web: ru.fujitsu.com<http://ts.fujitsu.com/>
Company details: ts.fujitsu.com/imprint<http://ts.fujitsu.com/imprint.html>
This communication contains information that is confidential, proprietary in nature and/or privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) or the person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient(s), please note that any form of dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the original communication. Thank you for your cooperation.
Please be advised that neither Fujitsu, its affiliates, its employees or agents accept liability for any errors, omissions or damages caused by delays of receipt or by any virus infection in this message or its attachments, or which may otherwise arise as a result of this e-mail transmission.

Re: Hide snapshots from NFS clients in 8.3.1 [ In reply to ]
Thanks Andrei, I was afraid that may be the answer.

If anyone from NetApp is on this list, you have missed a really important piece of functionality from CDOT. How did this happen? We can’t be the only customer with this requirement, and CDOT has been out for years now.

Jeremy

On 5 Feb 2016, at 6:22 pm, andrei.borzenkov@ts.fujitsu.com<mailto:andrei.borzenkov@ts.fujitsu.com> wrote:

It does not look like similar functionality exists (documented) for cDOT. For CIFS you can control visibility on share level, but for NFS it is all or nothing.

https://kb.netapp.com/support/index?page=content&id=8010364&locale=en_US&access=s

---
With best regards

Andrei Borzenkov
Senior system engineer
FTS WEMEAI RUC RU SC TMS FOS
<image001.gif>

RE: Hide snapshots from NFS clients in 8.3.1 [ In reply to ]
One use case is called out down the thread, and I ran into the same thing once when I worked for NetApp PS. The problem is tree walking.

I suspect the reason that the 7-mode "nfs.hide_snapshot" hasn't been ported to cDOT is just a matter of demand. On the whole, you can avoid this problem.
Most utilities have the ability to exclude certain paths during tree walking. Sometimes that's not an option.

I don't think anyone would object if I shared the fact there is a specific RFE enhancement request in our system to port this option to cDOT. If you can send me your case number offline, I'll like to get it included on the RFE list. That's the best way to ensure gaps get addressed.