Geoff Hardin
geoff.hardin@dalsemi.com

This space is for rent in order to increase company revenue.
Re: nfs.tcp.enable [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Geoff Hardin wrote:

> Based on discussion generated by a post yesterday regarding Sun GbE
> performance and NetApp filers, I had a question about the nfs.tcp.enable
> option. I have heard that once you enable this, it is impossible to
> switch back to UDP; is this true? I don't really have any filers I can
> test this on, and I'd rather not find out that switching to TCP doesn't
> fix my problem but I can't go back to UDP.

If you use only static mounts, then you can enable TCP and nothing on your
clients will change unless you explicitly unmount and remount. For
safety, you could even go update your client fstabs to explicitly use UDP
except on one or two test machines, for safety...

If you use an automounter, things could get tricky. :-) But you should be
able to enable TCP, try it out, and then turn it back off later if you're
careful about making sure that the clients have all reverted to UDP.

One thing you reeeeeeally don't want to do is accidentally confuse the
nfs.tcp.enable and nfs.v3.enable options. Just trust me on that one.

-- Chris
"Mr. Fatfingers"

--
Chris Lamb, Unix Guy